Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 03:22 PM

BERTHA PLANS

Can any one give me an address to get a maximum amount of information concerning BERTHA subs

Specs, plans, any information

Old 01-31-2003, 03:29 PM

Bertha

Use the search facility to your left and you should cover it.

Nobody gives out plans on these things willy nilly.

This question is often asked!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:29 PM

good Luck!!!!!!!!

the people who have the plans to build boxes like these build boxes as a buisiness. No one is going to give them up!

There are no sites that have plans or info on this or any of Richards cabinets! there are guys around who can build em though!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:11 PM

Berthas or the Levan horn

There are no plans available on any sites, this was a modified box that richard came up with. Being this is a sound contracters box you will never see plans to build this box or the Levan horn the only way you will get these boxes is if you purchased a complete sound system this box would not be sold on its own.
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 01-31-2003, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Plans

There are ways to get the plans. You just have to be resourceful. Look up the old Vega subs, that will give you an idea, however you should be a master carpenter to build that box. Its huge!!!!!!!!! The levan horn extension is just an add on piece nothing special. If you can understand the dynamics in the chamber it is possible to build it correctly.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:10 PM

WHo to contact

Who can I contact to buy a ready made box with drivers in it and all
Old 02-02-2003, 02:24 PM

Ready made, cheque books at the ready!

ftp://ftp.eaw.com/Discontinued%20Products/Datasheets/PDFs/BH882iP.pdf.

I did a search and found thirty threads on Bertha!
Old 02-02-2003, 03:42 PM

search ?

dave where did you do this search ? jus curious to read it
Old 02-02-2003, 04:46 PM

Search

Just the search to the your left on this forum!

It gave thirty lines with 'Bertha'

I think we have said most there is to say about bertha's here on this forum, just avoids covering the same ground.

Using prosoundwebs forum search will also bring up some threads on these boxes.

I use ZD net 'WEBFERRET' Search engine. Although I havn't but bertha through it.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:55 PM

ok

thought there was another site with info on it there really is no info on this box on sites
Old 02-02-2003, 05:20 PM

Bass horns

bunch of bass horn plans here
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~carnivor/horn/hornfolds.html
Old 02-02-2003, 05:28 PM

hornfoldings website

thats a cool site with all sorts of bass horns!
Schmacks horn
Scoop
Bent horn
W Bin

But no Berthas or levans!

Been there, done that!

The most interesting folded horn that Ive come across is a European design. These guys in Europe dig up your basement floor, and build the folded horn into your basement floor. it requires digging. They make the throat out of brick, and the horn folds out of CONCRETE! They load this thing with 8 JBL 18,s! Then, you gotta rebuild a floor over it! The Ultimate home theatre subwoofer!
Old 02-03-2003, 08:02 AM

Bertha Sub

Hi guys, If I saw the sub how would i know its a bertha??
How wide, deep and about how tall is it??
If I saw a sub that was about 6 feet or more wide by about 4 feet or more deep and about 3 feet or more high is this a bertha sub??????

Old 02-03-2003, 11:51 AM

berthas

Where do you live ? maybe there is a club near you that has these boxes installed. If there are no clubs by you with these boxes installed, go to my site at www.systemsbyshorty.com the enter button is a Bertha then select Equipment selection and in the EAW selection, the last picture you will see is a picture of the Bertha you will also see it when the pictures are shuffling on my site. Also in the pics section on my site you will see them on the last page 1st pic they are against the wall, this is at a club i did it has Berthas. also in the second set of pictures the 1st 3 pics you will see the half version of the Bertha called the Emerald the Emerald is the single 18 version of the Bertha box which also puts out a ton of bottom.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:01 PM

the bertha

thanks shorty would you be interested in buying it if it is a bertha??
Old 02-03-2003, 12:27 PM

Bertha

Thanks for the help and info guys, but can anyone direct me to a company that can build and supply Bertha's, also SCOTT can you send me a web page to have a look at that European Sub, seems really interesting and I am really curious
Old 02-03-2003, 12:54 PM

bertha

Is the bertha related to the EAW BH880??EAW states that the 880 was used in Studio54,peak output of a single box 140db usable down to 32hz. the BH440 is the single 18" version..I spec'ed a pair of the single BH440 for a club ib south america topped with 4 sb250s. I company I work with occiasonally used 4 bh880s set mouth to mouth underneath the stage and 4 sb 250s at Tequila Rock in Cancun,(I wasnt part of that install,he just told me about it and showed me the pics)
It would shake the street outside at about 100meters distance.

in If you look in the pdf section of EAW its the file called old bh subwoofers
Old 02-03-2003, 02:51 PM

EAW,s berthas from the 80,s

The BH-880 is the EAW Bent Horn. Looks like an amana double refrigerator sized box! That isnt the Bertha but it was a kick ass box! They were in Studio in the middle 80,s!

The original subs at Studio were Richard Longs Levan Horn Built by RLA in NYC!

EAW also built berthas and Levans in the 80,s into the 90,s!

But, those OLDER EAW cabinets were in fact very good!
Old 02-03-2003, 03:10 PM

Bass horns

Cool,thanks for the info..
While we are on the subject a while back I had a guy with a truck full of w bass horns he was selling cheap.The were friggin huge,4ft wide by 2ft high by 8ft deep. It had a single 18" cerwin vega in it and the horn angles were very smooth and rounded,no sharp angles,almost looked like a musical instrument inside,the only info I could find on the box was the input plate said Universal and had the logo of the Universal film company..He said they came from movie theaters. Anyways we hooked up two to a small bgw 150? amp and the bass output was incredible for the small amount of power we fed into them..Ended up not buying any because I had nowhere I could store anything that big. He wanted $200 each.
Anyone know what the heck those were?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:31 PM

SUBBBBB HORN

Hey Pils,

I think this was the sub horn Scott was talkin' about.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

Not something for your average living room and a very very low WAF (wife acceptance factory) too.

King K.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:04 PM

yes thats it!

isnt that INCREDIBLE? talk about EARTH MOVING SUB BASS!!!! The Royal device subwoofer!

The universal films sub your talking about is the GRAND DADDY CERWIN VEGA EARTHQUAKE from the the 1974 movie EARTHQUAKE! Thats the L-36,s grandpappy! Its a famous box!

yes it works and puts out that Rumble Dumble!

Old 02-03-2003, 04:10 PM

I want a Royal subwoofer under my bumper cars!

Major construction. I wonder what that thing sounds like?

Ya gotta admit its interesting.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:53 PM

subs

Ahh,ok..Thats probably what it was.Very nice work in the horn,way smooth...
As for that floor horn,,the effiency doesnt sound that high,,I mean 16 woofers in a horn box whould have a higher eff than 110db@1w1m.. that puts the actual eff of the individual woofers around 85-87db@1w1m ..Using some mid 90s(95-97)db eff woofers would raise the output of the box by 10db making it twice as loud and should still be able to reach 10hz because of the mutual loading. I would think with the low power tube equipment they are using they would want more efficient woofers especailly after all the trouble of building that thing..Just off the top of my head using some 800w cont/1600w peak RCF 18s rated at 97db ,adding in the 16 woofers and conservatively around 10db of gain from the horn would be roughly around 150db@800w1m ,153db@1600w1m,,you would need a total of 12,800w cont and 25,600w peak amp power.
Of course thats free field numbers not enclosed in a room..Im thinking anothe 3-6db higher pressure due to that.You could be looking at peaks as high as 160db with little or no breakup even at the lowest freq!!.Im pretty sure that at that much acoustic pressure in a closed room that small would most likely bring the building down on your head besides the fact it would probably split some of your vital organs..Way cool...
Old 02-03-2003, 05:08 PM

sub

You are probably right on that,,with some big power behind that thing I imagine you could probably kill someone if you felt the need. that much acoustic pressure @10hz is like getting hit by a truck..
Old 02-03-2003, 07:01 PM

Efficiency

Efficiency is a funny thing! A speaker with a 100db sensitivity rating may be 100db sensitive! But at what frequency?

Its a numbers game with manufacturers! For instance, that driver with a 100db rating I just mentioned may in fact be 100 db sensitive at 125hz, 250hz or 500hz! But the sensitivity at 80hz and below may drop to 95db!

So, if the Royal Subs efficiency is 100db at we will say 50hz to 25 hz you will have an Earthquake on your block!

The reason they are using so many drivers is to get the sensitivity in the extreme low bass up!

OK> I would listen to it with interest. But it isnt anything I could really practically do! It is more of a conversation topic then anything else.

But, ya gotta admit, it is interesting!