Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 09:02 AM

What about the auxiliary weight on the Sl1200 balance weight

Hi!
I've got myself a Ortofon DJ cart to my technics, but I don't have a auxiliary weight on my balance weight, can I still use the ortofon cart?
...and where can I get a spare auxiliary weight?
Old 08-19-2003, 02:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
aux weight

do you mean that little thingie that screws in at the back of the tonearm? if so, I've never used it and I've never seen anyone else use it either. as long as you have that big counter weight blob you should be all set.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:58 AM

Aux weights that screw into the back of the counter weight are mainly for turntablists, who also turn their anti-skate to zero. They need the extra weight and no skate to reduce skipping.

Unless you do the heavy scratch stuff, it's best to avoid this extra weight as it will wear out your vinyl real fast...

Apologies of you already knew this.

BTW, you can get them from the turntable lab website.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:21 AM
Senior Citizen

Misunderstanding

Hey Nick

The extra weight that screws on at the back of the tonearm does not increase tracking force, on the contrary, using it would decrease tracking force. The extra weight is used together with really heavy cartridges, like the Ortofon SPU series. On the other hand I would probably question a persons sanity if they used that kind of cartridge on an original Technics 1200 tonearm.

What you want to use with a DJ cartridge to get the correct tracking force is the extra weight plate that is placed between the cartridge and the headshell. Of course this is not valid when using a Concorde type of cartridge. With these you should be able to get the right tracking force as is.

/Daniel
Old 08-26-2003, 05:42 AM

Yes, you're quite right, I didn't make the difference between tracking and weight that clear. What I meant to write was to point out that scratchers who use the aux weights also set the anti-skating to zero so as not to skip when pulling back the record.

I personally don't scratch very much and use as little weight, tracking force as poss so as not to damage my precious 45s!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:09 PM

Post Extra weight

Nick

You come from some sort of music academy. Yet you are presenting the additional counterweight as some sort of anti gravity turntablist paradox!

The facts are:

Extra weight on counterweight=less weight on stylus end.

Have see-saws been banned in playgrounds? See one for explanation of physics.

And yes anti skate is not used when scratching. Anti skate is only a adjustable spring force that twists the arm in the horizontal axis.
The direction of the antiskate is away from the centre of platter. Antiskate is needed due to the S shaped arm tendency to pull to centre due to its ofset geometry needed to minimise tracking error. You could turn the weight round and leave the extra weight on, kind of robing Peter to pay Paul*(this would be a stupid thing*). This is all basic tonearm stuff which hasn't changed for about fifty years. Perhaps this is a attempt to increase overall tonearm mass and bring the mass up to a SME or Rega type arm!

Last edited by daveg : 08-26-2003 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:25 PM

Erm, oh yeah...!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:35 PM

Smile tonearm

Just keeping the posts as accurate as possible.

In a couple of weeks the same question will come up yet again!

Its good here and most of answers are not related to people trying to sell a particular bit of gear etc. We try and get the facts out and don't follow trends and hype unless proved out in practise. From time to time a manufactuer will come on with a lowdown on a produ
Old 08-26-2003, 02:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
I don't even use that little platter to go between the headshell and the cartridge. I have Stanton 680ELII carts and I have never needed that extra plate, I put on 3.2g of weight on the carts and it never skips.