Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Who is taking their Rotary Mixer to gigs?

Hi, in the Pictures section I see a lot of (very nice) home setups that look basically like permanent installs. I also see lots of pics of (very nice) club installs on here.

I'm wondering if any of the people with these nice home installs are gigging out with their main mixers. It looks like it would be a pain to break a lot of these rigs down.

Just curious, not criticizing anyone...
rs
Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 PM

I have a RANE MP2016/XP2016 and a GSA iso in a case sitting in my workshop for the odd gig i need a mixer for, at the moment i have been hauling it out to my Friday night gigs as i can't stand the DJM900 and i play all night but they are replacing the DJM900 with a ECLER SCLAT200vs next week so the RANE can go back onto the shelf until i get a wedding or something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	429341_10150750131254535_122127502_n.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	3119  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 PM

i was taking my Urei and isolator. hauling them around in my DIY plywood console. I would just drop it right back in my booth at home after my gigs. But it was just too heavy and cumbersome to carry around all the time. not to mention "exposed" in transit due to not having a proper case. so i ended up selling off everything and buying a DJR400. couldn't be happier with my decision. sooo much easier to plug in and set up. plus i think it sounds just as nice if not nicer.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

I wouldn't call it high-end but my Numark DM1920x is used for the hand full of gigs that I do. I'll admit that I have a mint one in storage in case this one decides to crap out but I think I should grab a Rane. Its a good conversation piece as few people even know about this mixer (especially some of the kids that think Pioneer is the only company that makes DJ gear). The rotary knobs alone trip them out.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Kieren,
Nice case and love the GSA Isolator. How well do the platforms work that hold up the CDj's ?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM

I do!

I do it, but not all that often because I am not the world's most popular DJ. Three weddings this summer though, not bad!

You can't see the full setup here, but it consists of the following components:

The Party Box: (Odyssey 12 RU/4RU case)
• Rane MP2016s with Expander
• Pioneer MEP-7000 multimedia player
• SBS ISO-Q2 (not visible in the shot, on the front panel of the box)
• 1U Rack power

The interesting challenge with this setup is managing the depth of the items on the top 10RU spaces. If they are too deep, they will touch the items in the bottom 4RU spaces and not fit. For example, this is why the isolator is on the front panel and the mixer sits above the expander rather than below it.

I use this setup with a QSC K-Sub and 2 Mackie SRM-450's as my mains, and a QSC K-8 as the monitor.

The real secret here is that it ALL fits in a 2001 VW Jetta with room for another passenger in the front seat!

-b

Last edited by herbalpudding : 07-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 PM

i take mine to the club about once a month
Old 07-08-2012, 03:54 PM

herbalpudding: I'm glad to see you're getting an early start on DJing!
rs
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmariog
Kieren,
Nice case and love the GSA Isolator. How well do the platforms work that hold up the CDj's ?

Yeah the brackets were given to me by RoadReady cases and they works fine but i do think over time the brackets will bend but it's survived 6 gigs so far!
The rack it self is a effects rack that i moved the rack strip forward so it was flush with the case edge, i like the mixer flat instead of on a angle and they only make cases on a angle so i had to mod something as usual!
The Isolator is great thanks Mario, this is one of the 2 we have in our hire stock, they drift around Australia a fare bit these days but most of the time there is one in my mobile rack just in case i feel the need to play!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
The interesting challenge with this setup is managing the depth of the items on the top 10RU spaces. If they are too deep, they will touch the items in the bottom 4RU spaces and not fit. For example, this is why the isolator is on the front panel and the mixer sits above the expander rather than below it.

This is one reason why i now use a Effect Rack Case as it is 10inch deep front to back and i just sit it on it's back lid and drilled some holes each side for the cables! i actually welded up a frame to hold the case on a angle but i worked out i don''t mind it being flat!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM

haha, yeah that was my little protege that night. a 10 year old NYC prep school kid, he was lovin it!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
haha, yeah that was my little protege that night. a 10 year old NYC prep school kid, he was lovin it!

Passing on the skills!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM

I have a Urei LE that stays at home. This is my road set. I also don't take it out much. Somewhere down the line I will get an Iso. Still, it gets the job done.

Last edited by c-rock172 : 07-11-2012 at 10:15 AM.