Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 AM

I played on some events where they had some sort of sun shield (With pioneer logo on it) hooked to the CDJ.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM

Something like in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXhYmWyo1ig
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
To me, it's pretty tough to beat the "laptop / dumb music player" combo.

rs

I thought about upgrading my PIO CDJ 500II Limiteds to some more modern CDJs... (ha ha don't laugh, they are still operating like new... seriously........ only had to dust the laser once....) but after looking into it a bit more, decided to just pick up traktor and a set of controllers (X1s)...

traktor seems pretty cool to me so far
(it's only been a few days since i hooked these digital thingies up)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
I thought about upgrading my PIO CDJ 500II Limiteds to some more modern CDJs... (ha ha don't laugh, they are still operating like new... seriously........ only had to dust the laser once....) but after looking into it a bit more, decided to just pick up traktor and a set of controllers (X1s)...

traktor seems pretty cool to me so far
(it's only been a few days since i hooked these digital thingies up)

The X1's are very nice. I like to use mine along side decks, redundant, but decks are still so much fun to play on.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 AM

so, are there any real advantages for upgrading to nxs compared to the existing 2000?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ves
so, are there any real advantages for upgrading to nxs compared to the existing 2000?

- Better display with colored scrolling waveforms (hugely awesome)
- Slip mode from the 900 (neat)
- Beat sync and quantization, much better loops and cue points (very neat, even if you don't use sync the new looping features rock)
- Key indicators (not sure who needs this, you should know your harmonic mixing, not colors).
- Wireless rekordbox streaming (gimmicky)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM

You could put a textured anti-glare film on it. They put that crap on IPS monitors.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751
- Better display with colored scrolling waveforms (hugely awesome)
- Slip mode from the 900 (neat)
- Beat sync and quantization, much better loops and cue points (very neat, even if you don't use sync the new looping features rock)
- Key indicators (not sure who needs this, you should know your harmonic mixing, not colors).
- Wireless rekordbox streaming (gimmicky)

ahh ok thanks for the reply

that's it ? everything else stays the same? same dac same jog weel same pitch?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Cogin
Something like in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXhYmWyo1ig

Yes

*10characters*
Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM

beat sync = a whole generation of djs that will never pay their dues
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
You could put a textured anti-glare film on it. They put that crap on IPS monitors.

Glare is only part of the problem. The bigger issue with being able to read these displays in sunlight is brightness and contrast (or rather lack of).
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM

reversing the color scheme might help with the daylight issue.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Science
Glare is only part of the problem. The bigger issue with being able to read these displays in sunlight is brightness and contrast (or rather lack of).

Doubtful. Put an AG scrim on it.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette

alternatively, a whole generation of djs that learned alternative skills that manual syncers never had the time to think about.

the technology is here to marry the creative and mix down processes and people are yammering about keeping the chains oiled on some double-wurlitzer type contraption
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM

The sync feature is equivalent to looking at one player and saying "this one says 123.4, lets move the pitch fader on this other player to 123.4 as well". That's all it does (provided the beat markers are set in Rekorbox before hand, which 98% of the time the software auto-sets them correctly anyway).

When you hit play on the deck, it doesn't just snap the two tracks together. You at least need to adjust using the platter to get them lined up and get rid of any beat flanging.

It's not that huge of a difference IMO from what we've already had before. Even with CD's on the 1000's, the beat counters were always there and pretty darn usable. But really, beat matchin on CDJ's was always much easier than vinyl.

Where it does come in handy is that for looping, small errors in pitch don't get multiplied with each loop repetition. You can also pitch up or down up to 4 synced decks all at once, which make wider pitch changes doable.

I doubt newcomer DJ's are going to become any better or worse because of the CDJ-2000 Nexus. These are $1800 decks for the pro market.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
it is a great usb, cd player.. I cant find much wrong except the price they cost vs how much they are to make.

the sync debate is over in my mind, I mean it makes a real dj all that more special.. and someone who just fakes the funk and cant cue that much more lame..

dj,s these days arent what they used to be, and garage band or guitar hero takes more skill imo..

a great dj is a great dj. I have no problem saying there is a great dj that only syncs. I do have a problem with a fixed bpm for the whole night.. mixes that just drone on instead of hearing two tracks work in and out until they lock.. these are lost on todays market.. its not about nuances, its about the mass appeal of plastic electronics.. and I find those electronics fun too
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM

As we're on the verge of having another "the benefits and downsides of new technologies" discussion, this picture I just stumbled upon seems to fit in quite well:

Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
...such a tedious argument.

What does 'pay their dues'/'real DJ' even mean? It's beatmatching, not brain surgery. I've heard plenty of great DJ's that don't beatmatch, and plenty of bad ones who do it very competently. There are so many more important facets to being a good DJ than that.

The whole point of a flagship deck like this one is to be the 'all-things-to-all-DJ's' booth fixture, if the technology is there to beat sync, why would manufacturers ignore it?

If mixing using the pitch slider is so much more 'real' to you, put some gaffer tape over the button and get over yourself...
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM

name one flagship club that books touring headliner djs that dont beatmix

im well aware of programming vs beatmixing and which is more important

but again read my first sentence.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM

i doubt how this sync will work since these bloody things skip (at least the 2000 did form time to time). I feel in terms of performance the 1000mk3 were the best.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
name one flagship club that books touring headliner djs that dont beatmix

im well aware of programming vs beatmixing and which is more important

but again read my first sentence.
...I've read it and re-read it, I'm not sure what point you're trying to illustrate?

Look at two of the biggest clubs in London for example, Ministry and Fabric. Any typical line-up on a Friday or Saturday the booth is constantly being reconfigured throughout the night because you've got successive DJ's playing on Traktor, Ableton, CDJ-2000's (CD's/SD cards)... do I think these clubs use beatmixing as a criteria for booking? Short answer, no. I don't think they care at all as long as what comes out of the speakers is keeping the punters happy.

Given the age of the average headline DJ/act around now, they weren't really of the generation that needed to learn to beatmix in the 'conventional' way (turntables/vinyl/by ear) anyway. Many would have learned on digital decks with BPM meters etc... is this really such a massive technical leap from a sync button? are they therefore also somehow less 'worthy'?

Look at someone like Pete Tong... beatmixing never really his strongpoint but no longer a factor as has been a Traktor/sync user in recent years. First radio show in the 70's, a fixture on the 80's soul scene, and is still probably the most influential dance radio DJ's in the world (I'm no fan, but this is fact)... are we suggesting he somehow hasn't 'paid his dues'?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ves
i doubt how this sync will work since these bloody things skip (at least the 2000 did form time to time). I feel in terms of performance the 1000mk3 were the best.
...you 'doubt' it'll work having never used it?

I've had them (mk1's) since launch and never had the 2000's skip... (plenty of other teething issues but not that one!)

Given that they only played CD's, 1000mk3 aren't really comparable are they?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM

by skip i meant drifting. the 2000 didn't hold the pitch as well as the 1000 did. After an update this was improved but at times i think they still drift.
From what i understand the nxs does nothing more than "reading" the bpm from one player and sync the others. So what happens when the bpm starts jumping around (at least the readings).

Last edited by ves : 10-25-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM

...fair enough, I can see why you'd assume the sync wouldn't work in that instance, but have to say that's a new one on me.

Master Tempo never worked properly (no I don't use it, it's a button like 'Sync' you are free to ignore ), network/USB issues, tracks not loading onto devices from RekordBox, (in fact RB was generally one big headache for the first few months), and the fact it takes Pioneer so long to address issues.

Once I got my head around that lot, found them really stable and love playing on them
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM

im not trying to start a cockfight about mixing im just a bit jaded and i get pissed off when djs just get lazy and hit the sync button on their serato or tracktor rigs after downloading the beatport top 100 and calling themselves djs

just my 2c and after recently going back to vinyl i get these idots coming up to me and saying dude wheres your computer can you youtube my fave song!!!!

comon