Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM

1210 Earth Wires

Could someone with experience please tell me how easy it would be for me to change the earth wires on my Technics TTs?

My earth wires are currently pretty shoddy, and I want to replace them with wires that have the earthing forks on the end. I've just done a google search and found a nice link for UK peeps where I can buy spares for the 1210s including forked earth wires.

http://www.dialsoundlight.co.uk/d-commerce/page10.html

I don't want to pay to have this done if I can get it done myself with some advice!

Thanks
Jay
Old 11-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Hi, what is exactly wrong with your current ground wire?
Is that the forks are missing or is the wire damaged/frayed and you would prefer to replace it.
If itís just the forks missing you can buy just the forks from places like CPC (UK) very cheaply and fit them nicely to your current wire without even taking a screw driver to your deck.
Is it easy to replace the wire? Yeah, if I can remember correctly it doesnít even need soldering.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 PM

The grounding wire on both my TTs broke some time ago. I just soldered an extra length of cable onto them and covered with insulation tape.

Why do you want the forks? You can connect the bare wire ends to your mixer/amp earth pin.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 AM

Thank you for your responses.

I realise that I can connect the bare wire to the earth pins on my mixer, as this is what I am currently doing. However, I am currently lugging both of my TTs from my home setup to a spot which I'm playing at weekly. Therefore, having earth forks would make my life a little easier when I'm constantly having to disconnect and reconnect my decks to different mixers. The forks would give me a more solid connection and be quicker to hook up.

Perhaps it would be simpler to just buy the forks and fit them to the end of the exisiting wire. One of the wires is too short and I too have had to extend it myself. I did this a bit mickey mouse though by just twisting two wires together. Perhaps if I clean this up by soldering and covering with insulation tape, I can get away with just fitting the forks.

It was just that I had it in my head to replace both wires to neaten it all up.

Thanks
Jay
Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 PM

You can replace by taking the bottom off the decks, a bit time consuming though.