Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Classic Urei or Rane 2016S w/ expander?

I am planning on getting a Mario refurb Urei 1620 3 phono and I know I am going to be spending about $1800-$2500 and I am also thinking about a Rane 2016S w/ expander. I've been using my Power 801 for nearly 20 years bought it from AST Sound for home use now. The #2 pot is sometimes scratchy and been hearing in this forum of the sound of Urei being used on more modern electro music, I play Techno/Trance/House/little Rap. What would be your advise as I know Mario does great work but reliabilitywise and soundwise the Rane and Urei is about the same. Should I get the Rane and be done about it. I am planning on getting also some Crown amps 2402's and XLS 802's for mobile with the Protea 4.8SP as processor. I also plan on getting used Turbosound Floodlights for a 4-way sound system. Let me know guy's thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM

personally, I think the UREI would hold it's value better,
and possibly increase more in value over time....
but the rane may well do that also in time...

given your track record with the power,
you are probably fine however you decide....
Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 PM

In a nutshell I'd say both have terrific sound -- the Urei is warmer and has more perceived loudness, while the Rane has accuracy.

As a person who has traveled regularly with a Rane rotary, the one thing that has caused problems for me is the "telephone jack" power adapter. If the little plastic tab breaks off and you don't have access to a crimper or duct tape, it's no fun. Also, the ribbon cable doesn't really seem like it was designed to be connected and disconnected on a regular basis.

Then again, in the event that something does go wrong: Rane's level of customer service is legendary.

$0.02
rs
Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
In a nutshell I'd say both have terrific sound -- the Urei is warmer and has more perceived loudness, while the Rane has accuracy.

As a person who has traveled regularly with a Rane rotary, the one thing that has caused problems for me is the "telephone jack" power adapter. If the little plastic tab breaks off and you don't have access to a crimper or duct tape, it's no fun. Also, the ribbon cable doesn't really seem like it was designed to be connected and disconnected on a regular basis.

Then again, in the event that something does go wrong: Rane's level of customer service is legendary.

$0.02
rs

That stupid telephone jack style power input was removed on the new S models.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 AM

I personaly would go with the UREI and maybe grab a Isolator off Mario as well, I have both mixers and i would say i like the sound of the UREI over the RANE..

My 2cents...
Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Ok thanks guy's I'll use the Rane Mixer/Expander maybe save up for a refurb Urei for home use. The ARS seems ok too but who will repair the damn thing when it break downs or you need new parts.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Being an owner of a 2016 and using and hearing a Urei in clubs a lot, I would go Urei ANYDAY. Wouldn't bother with the 2016, not really my cup of tea and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Urei IMO.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc
Being an owner of a 2016 and using and hearing a Urei in clubs a lot, I would go Urei ANYDAY. Wouldn't bother with the 2016, not really my cup of tea and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Urei IMO.

Which 2016 do you own? Original, a version or s version?

Baba Booey!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:51 PM

so Kevin, are you thinking that the change in phono preamp and padding down the output of the A and S versions made a big difference overall?

*edit*
reason i ask, is i never experienced some of the issues that folks complained about with the 1st generation 2016....

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 11-08-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
so Kevin, are you thinking that the change in phono preamp and padding down the output of the A and S versions made a big difference overall?

*edit*
reason i ask, is i never experienced some of the issues that folks complained about with the 1st generation 2016....

Yes I would say those things made a difference. The phono pre-amps are now the same ones from the MP44 which is the best sounding mixer Rane makes so yeah that was a good update. Padding the the outputs makes it harder to over drive the the newer versions, and over driving the original version was IMO the only time I would agree it sounded pretty bad.

I never really had problems with the original though because I wouldn't over drive it. The funny thing is that there are several people on this board who are of the oppinion that the original 2016 sounded HORRIBLE to the point of making it sound like they thought it was the worst mixer they ever heard LOL. Then they got ahold of the 2016a and said its sounded great. Maybe BBC is in that category, I dont know. I would agree that the 2016a sounds great. From the little bit of experience I have with the original 2016 I would DISAGREE that it sounded horrible (as long as you dont OVERdrive it).

I'm not saying these people are right or wrong, I dont have a ton of experience with the original version personally. Both of my 2016's are the a version.

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 11-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

There are actually aspects of the Rane sound that I prefer. IMO the Urei can't be beat on disco and house. I think though, based on a couple years lurking on this board, most people here are going to ipso facto prefer any product that is older or rarer. The defense is usually something to the effect of "you can't tell me what my ears prefer". Nonetheless, the "irrefutable ears" always seem to choose the older, rarer item, and it makes one wonder. ;-)

I'm not saying that to call anyone contrived, and I certainly don't have the experience a lot of people here do. All I'm saying is that I would take the general consensus of Wave Music as an informed suggestion, not let it limit you into thinking the only thing that will sound great is boutique stuff that takes 6 months to get after commissioning. (That's a broader symptom of any internet enthusiast site in general, I think.)

This will be my last foray into board politics. But, yes, the Rane really, really sounds terrible when the inputs are heavily overdriven.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 11-08-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
I'm not saying that to call anyone contrived, and I certainly don't have the experience a lot of people here do. All I'm saying is that I would take the general consensus of XYZ FORUMS as an informed suggestion, not let it limit you into thinking the only thing that will sound great is boutique stuff that takes 6 months to get after commissioning. (That's a broader symptom of any internet enthusiast site in general, I think.)

This will be my last foray into board politics. But, yes, the Rane really, really sounds terrible when the inputs are heavily overdriven.

rs

i tend to agree with you here...
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM

i do feel obligated to add that some of the less common, almost quirky gear discussed here really are interesting pieces if you ever have the opportunity to play with them...

for example, those audio technology meters are top notch, and flexible.... much nicer than the modern day AA units and those of the ilk... IMO at least... which isn't sayign much of anything at all... but it is nice to have the metering options in a single unit... (it does line and amp levels with a front panel button control... the same era Unisync unit requires some internal resistor modification to "change modes")

which is perhaps part of the reason why they seem to have pretty much held their value over the years...
Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM

As a rule i play mainly old Soul, House & Disco so my love for the sound of my BOZAK and even my UREI are personal opinion.
I do also love my RANE especially as pointed out before when i am playing newer electro-tech type house and the occasional 80's pop set. And the RANE 2016a is the only rotary i will take out to play a party (as well as my SCLAT208 & MP44 slider mixers) but the BOZAK and the UREI sit in my studio gathering dust most of the time!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Yes I would say those things made a difference. The phono pre-amps are now the same ones from the MP44 which is the best sounding mixer Rane makes so yeah that was a good update. Padding the the outputs makes it harder to over drive the the newer versions, and over driving the original version was IMO the only time I would agree it sounded pretty bad.

I never really had problems with the original though because I wouldn't over drive it. The funny thing is that there are several people on this board who are of the oppinion that the original 2016 sounded HORRIBLE to the point of making it sound like they thought it was the worst mixer they ever heard LOL. Then they got ahold of the 2016a and said its sounded great. Maybe BBC is in that category, I dont know. I would agree that the 2016a sounds great. From the little bit of experience I have with the original 2016 I would DISAGREE that it sounded horrible (as long as you dont OVERdrive it).

I'm not saying these people are right or wrong, I dont have a ton of experience with the original version personally. Both of my 2016's are the a version.

I owned the 2016, sold it recently as it wasn't getting used. I never over drove it, like any mixer, but like any mixer, you can over drive it and it's going to sound terrible, but that's not what I was judging the sound on and no mixer should be judged on that really.

I wouldn't say it sounds horrible, it just depends on your point of reference. If a Rane 2016 is the only rotary you have used and heard, then sure, it's probably one of the best you will hear out of mass produced, big name products.

But I would have to say that an original Urei and Bozak are head and shoulders above a Rane, I guess it just depends if you can justify the difference. For me, I bought the Rane, thought it was good but got a Bozak for cheap at the same time and got to compare and came to the conclusion I wasn't happy with the Rane. If I hadn't heard the Bozak on my system I would probably still have the Rane. Ignorance is bliss as the say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
There are actually aspects of the Rane sound that I prefer. IMO the Urei can't be beat on disco and house. I think though, based on a couple years lurking on this board, most people here are going to ipso facto prefer any product that is older or rarer. The defense is usually something to the effect of "you can't tell me what my ears prefer". Nonetheless, the "irrefutable ears" always seem to choose the older, rarer item, and it makes one wonder. ;-)

I'm not saying that to call anyone contrived, and I certainly don't have the experience a lot of people here do. All I'm saying is that I would take the general consensus of Wave Music as an informed suggestion, not let it limit you into thinking the only thing that will sound great is boutique stuff that takes 6 months to get after commissioning. (That's a broader symptom of any internet enthusiast site in general, I think.)

rs

I agree with this sentiment. The hype and bias opinions really gets in the way on this board sometimes, so I try to keep it as real as possible. Not saying I don't add my opinion, but I don't over hype anything on here and give a balanced opinion on whatever I mention from my own experiences.