Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 PM

Rane MP 2016A versus 2016S

Hi, I am a proud owner of a bunch of Bozak and Urei mixers. I love them, but the style of music I have been playing recently demands a different style of djing. I need EQs and a crossfader. Yet, I want to have the rotary controls for when I need them. I have heard good things about the 2016A. The newest version, the 2016S is supposed to have a better power supply. Don they sound the same? Does the A version sound better? Or did Rane improve the sound quality with the S version?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 AM

i think the only difference is the s can switch between 110 and 220 volts
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM

here's an older thread talking about the 2016, 2016a, & 2016s

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ead.php?t=7326

I believe that the PSU went internal during the switch from the 2016a and 2016s generations...
Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 PM

yeah,forgot to mention that
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
The cue system is different. I prefer the way it was on the 2016, mainly because I used a Urei for 8 years.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM

youre slightly off
the cue system on the 'a' and 's' is the same
the cue on the original is different to those 2
you can blend cue on the a and s
you can only monitor each channel or the pgrm on the original

Last edited by wheresmejumper : 07-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
yea as noted, A & S versions are identical except for internal "world" power supply (in S version)
Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Thanks everyone, can anyone confirm that the internal power supply does not adversely affect the sound quality? I found an authorized dealer that still carries the a version.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM

I can confirm the internal power supply does not affect the sound quality.

If a dealer has an "A" version, I'd confirm with them and after the purchase with Rane that it was a new box with a warranty that starts the day you buy it.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmejumper
youre slightly off
the cue system on the 'a' and 's' is the same
the cue on the original is different to those 2
you can blend cue on the a and s
you can only monitor each channel or the pgrm on the original

Let me clarify. I don't like that Empath style cue system on the 'A' and 'S'. I prefer the orginal 2016 cue system because it's simliar to the Urei style cue system.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georget
...but the style of music I have been playing recently demands a different style of djing.

From my experience, which was right about the time the CDJ-1000 mk2s came out, the 2016 worked/sounded better with digital audio, like the CDJ-1000s. Granted, I don't have all this extra stuff like some of the other people on here do to make the Urei sound better with digital audio, but I found the Urei not to be the best option.

I like the 2016 sound with digital audio, it not the sound of the Urei, but it's not a bad sound.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpuga1982
From my experience, which was right about the time the CDJ-1000 mk2s came out, the 2016 worked/sounded better with digital audio, like the CDJ-1000s. Granted, I don't have all this extra stuff like some of the other people on here do to make the Urei sound better with digital audio, but I found the Urei not to be the best option.

I like the 2016 sound with digital audio, it not the sound of the Urei, but it's not a bad sound.

+1

I have a Djr400 i love it, but sometimes i miss my old 2016, it has some special magic too. The sound is super clean, transparent and with the XP units makes it very accurate mixer. Sound is very subjective so its allways a matter of taste, what sounds good to my ears may not sound to U...

Rane 2016 is a very nice mixer, i hope in a future i can buy another one (2016 classic version off course )

Nelson, Portugal

Cheers
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM

i'd choose the original version over the a or s,but because of the BB pots.
cue system wouldnt bother me
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Personally, I prefer the mix cueing system. I like to mix in my headphones quite a bit, especially if there are no good monitors. It is always comforting to know your tracks are in phase before bring in them into the mix. Of course with the Bozak and Urei mixers, I use my monitors. I am old school in certain things. I was pretty old school about the Bozak mixers for a while. I used to look down on Urei mixers. To me nothing sounds as good as an old Bozak mixer. That warmth, those knobs that did not have the white indicator in the way with my fingers like in the case of the Urei mixers...now, I am thinking of the Rane...slowly. Whah, it took 5 - 6 years to change my opinion about the Rane mixers...nowadays I spin dusbtep, drum and bass, and psy trance. In the past I used to spin italo disco and house. Things change...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 AM

I think the cue system is something you have to play with to like. I liked the original 2016 cuing, but in the real world, the push button cue with a 6-channel mixer makes a lot of sense. I've lost track of how many times I've left 2 channels cued because one was an acapella and the one was the next track I was mixing in. It's really convenient. The A/S knobs I think are 100x better (without that sharp pointer on the 2016 knobs), and the original 2016 was known to have distortion problems if you ran the channels too hot.

Honestly, as many have said, the 2016a/s is one of the finest mixers ever made. I have my original Urei I'll never get rid of, and as I posted in other threads, I love using it with Traktor, but if there's another mixer I'd get, or actually prefer when playing in the club, it's the 2016a/s. It's just a great mixer all around.

Lektrikboy: maybe catch you sometime soon, working on a few dj gigs in Portugal
Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 AM

I have the original 2016 (and several other mixers). I've read here that many like the sound of the "a" version better then the original. For those of you that do, is it due to the different pre amps, or just a matter of less clipping at full tilt? I guess I'm asking if those of you that think the "a" is better, do you think it actually sounds better? If so, please define.

On a side-note, I don't think I've ever clipped mine.

George, the rane will sound different compared to the Bozak/Urei. It's just clean. It works great with today's music, and the xp is great to have.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

I have both the Urei LE and the Original Rane 2016. The Urei is my home mixer while the Rane is my road mixer. I personally have not done the side to side comparison at home but I noticed that when I ran Serato on my Urei it sounded nice but not as nice as when I ran Serato on my Rane while gigging. However, I have heard the Rane (on other parties) playing vinyl and this is where I see that the sound is not as warm as the Urei. So I came to the conclusion a while back that depending on which format of music you are using (Vinyl, CD, MP3) one mixer may excel the other.

BTW for the record, I have used Bozak (only once :-( ), Urei LE, Power MPA-801 and The OG Rane 2016 and I have yet to use a rotary mixer I did not like.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Lektrikboy: maybe catch you sometime soon, working on a few dj gigs in Portugal [/quote]

Hey, are u from Portugal ? ahahaah )
Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektrikboy
Lektrikboy: maybe catch you sometime soon, working on a few dj gigs in Portugal

Hey, are u from Portugal ? ahahaah )[/quote]

No, Ive just played there many times, viva la Portugal! Stop by my music page if u like.. https://www.facebook.com/adamfreemer.music

Balaroue: Just to not discount the 2016, it's a great mixer, and like anything, used properly it sounds really good. Just there were guys in the club maxing out the pots, typical, and sometimes getting clipping. Rane changed the gain structure on the 2016a to try and help deal with the issue.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:50 PM

As I remember, the MP2016 received updated input preamps that were similar to the then new MP44 club mixer. The inputs were more tolerant of overloading the input. Overloading the input (hitting red) was less often and sounded better when overloaded.

The main EQ was reduced to +6db from +10db.

The knobs lost their nubs. Most DJ's liked the nubs as they could "feel" where the knob was without looking.

Side-by-side comparison of both boards resulted in the "A" version being preferred.

I also liked the new version although for every one I sold, I changed the knobs to the nubbed ones.

Last edited by pbellsound : 07-17-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM

oh those nubs hurt my fingers. I much prefer the Bozak knobs. They were smoother and my mixes sounded better.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 AM

yes Georget, the original mp2016 knobs was very hurtful, I was obliged to sanded the angles !!!
I also hated the fact of no being able to have the split....and worse, the whole range of Alps RK40 mechanically hung around the "4" (1-10) position, it gaved me an unpleasant feeling in the fingers !!!
Since, I bought a Bozak AR-6 and it is a pleasure to mix with

chhers
Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM

Does anyone know if the pots used for the main EQ and the channel EQs are the same. On my Rane the main EQs have a nice detent so I know they're at 0 but the per channels have more of a speed bump than a detent.

My SoundCloud
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Hey, are u from Portugal ? ahahaah )

No, Ive just played there many times, viva la Portugal! Stop by my music page if u like.. https://www.facebook.com/adamfreemer.music

Wowwww i didnīt know... Am i talking with the great Freemer, also sound designer ?? This is nice man ) Keep the good work !!!

Well i dont play that much here in PT cause i dont play many comercial music, i only play House/deep and tech house. Tell me when u came to Portugal again )

Cheers
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to dino59
I am in Portugal where are my peeps at ,Holler .