Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 12:03 AM

To All the traktor users

I have pruned the crap out of all the different folders I have created in my HD and now have all the music I want to play in one folder. ( I Still gotta prune doubles but that is another story)

1. I am re loading and analyzing in traktor and tons of tracks are analyzing at 1/2 speed. For example 124 bpm becomes 62 bpm

What have I done wrong this has never happened before.

2. I am buying new stuff next week are there any best practices on how I can keep these new trax Isolated and easy to find while I get used to them without creating the ton of folders I just finished cleaning up ?

Any Ideas are welcomed...

And Merry christmas everyone.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:16 AM

If you also have the tracks recognized by iTunes you can use dynamic playlists to do this. The dynamic playlist can use date, a keyword, or a lack of a keyword to define the list. The playlist can then be accessed directly from Traktor.

--Abyssus Abyssum
Old 12-25-2010, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd540
What have I done wrong...

You bought traktor, DUH!
Old 12-25-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
1. I am re loading and analyzing in traktor and tons of tracks are analyzing at 1/2 speed. For example 124 bpm becomes 62 bpm

What have I done wrong this has never happened before.

Sometimes this will happen no big deal, hit the x2 button.
What is your bpm range in Traktor?
If you are only playing tracks in a specific range (ia 115 - 130) than change the bpm range.

Quote:
2. I am buying new stuff next week are there any best practices on how I can keep these new trax Isolated and easy to find while I get used to them without creating the ton of folders I just finished cleaning up ?

Any Ideas are welcomed...

Like Digitalis I use the Itunes playlist. (Set to "imported last 30 days" or something like this )
Old 12-25-2010, 12:13 PM

maybe im missing something but is the bpm really important?

are they playing at 60 bpm or just registering?

hope you figure it out

peas
Old 12-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette
maybe im missing something but is the bpm really important?

Well, that depends on the music you play. If you just play house, then no, it's not really important, because every things in the mid 120s. If you're a hip hop dj, then yes it is.

If your hip hop track are in the 70s bpm range, then you can't play a track in the 90s bpm track unless you scratch it in. On the rare occasions that I play hip hop all night, I'll start off in the 70s and end up in the low 100s at the end of the night. Being that hip hop songs are like 3 to 4 mins long and it's "cooler" to play only one or two mins of a song, you can really go through 30 songs in a hour.

Then, if you're an open format dj, playing everything, know the bpm will help you play this rock song with this break beat under it.

It's more of a point of reference, like organizing your crate/record bag in genres like "house, deep house, jazzy house, electro, progressive, etc." In the time of records, a lot of hip hop djs would organize their records by tempo, having the slower records in the front and the faster records in the back of the crate.

Last edited by johnpuga1982 : 12-25-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 PM

It's just being registered wrong, either half, double or completely off the original bpm.

There is a beatgrid in Traktor which makes it really annoying to use when the bpms are too far off... I'm don't need it to mix, but when it's malfunctioning it just doesn't make sense. I guess most guys in here don't need these functions to mix, but believe me, if you use Traktor you will get confused when they're not working properly and I think as long as it's provided as a function it should work properly. If I'm not mistaken you can disable the beatgrid form the preferences somewhere, but it would mean that things like automatic loops wouldn't work properly. Also if you want you use internal EFX in Traktor it's important in to have the right values for some effects.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
I had this problem quite a bit when I was using Traktor and had to go in and manually map a lot of songs. Since I switched to Serato Scratch I think out of the 1000 songs I've loaded maybe 1 or 2 have been mis-mapped. I've found the engine much better in Serato Scratch.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 PM

My 'traditionalist' Traktor set-up >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrY66VK2SPo

Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM

I hope everyone had a merry christmas. Thanks for all the replies.

I created a second I tunes library for the stuff I play as it resides in a different hard drive. I'm cleaning it up today. Thank god it's only about 2000 tracks, truthfully I should have been organizing all along but going forward I will.

Laurin - Theres an x2 button - DOH - I've been doing it manually during a set and it gets annoying really quickly. Thanks

Leeee - What are those controllers in your console ? They look nice. Can 1 controller control several decks ?

Thanks guys
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Check the Denon SC-2000.
I really love them.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Hey they are XP5's from EKS >>

http://www.storedj.com.au/images/rp_...?ts=1286837853

They can be configured to whatever you want but each one has a soundcard (burr brown D/A) built in with line out's so it could get confusing to run multiple decks?