Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:15 PM

a few opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
snip- My conclusion is the best designers are audiophiles, not mastering people. And the best mastering people use audiophile gear. Not vice versa.-snip
The best designers are the ones that understand what they are designing- and they are not common in any case!
Quote:
snip- Assuming you're using TS or XLR with the ground into minus, that's definitely a good way to use a balanced out as unbalanced to get the best of both worlds. You also often get the higher output from the better opamps used.-snip
balanced output -> unbalanced input is not an acceptable connection practice.
unbalanced output -> balanced input is acceptable with a moderate loss in headroom.

I'll start another thread to continue with a few related opinions, so as to not hijak this thread..

Cheers,

Erik
Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Lil info i looked up

Are there any upgrades available for MIT products?
Upgrades are available for the Oracle V1, V2, V3, V1.1, V2.1 and V3.1 speaker interfaces to the latest “Dot 2” Version. We also have an aggressive trade-in policy. Please consult an MIT Customer service representative for more information.
How do I determine a budget for cables?

The general rule of thumb is about 20% of the value of the component you are connecting or putting into service. This is per connection, so you may have to compromise here and there to get everything optimized for your particular budget. The "Multipole Rating System" describes the exact performance level of each cable so you know you are getting exactly what you are paying for! At any time you can contact customerservice@mitcables.com to get the latest information on what's new, or suggested connections for optimizing any Audio or Video System.
Is there really a difference in digital cables?

Yes there are. The digital signal from a DVD player, CD Transport, or set top box, can transmit a lot of information. There are four common digital connections for this interface. Most common is 75ohm RCA connection, and a Toslink, or “fiber optic” connection between your player and receiver. Higher end connections will be ASE/EBU 110ohm connection or a BNC connector. Whatever the connector they all transmit information in a square wave digital signal. Cable can play a big part in transmitting this signal with less “jitter”, “jitter” equals noise. This noise can be seen on an oscilloscope at the top and bottom of the wave form. This wave form is rising and falling sometimes thousands of times a second like a switch being turned on and off very quickly. Digital Coax cable is available in varying speeds to which it allows signal to flow. They are measured in a unit of VP, or “velocity of propagation”. Cables that have a “low VP” will not transmit digital signal as well as cables that have a “high VP”. Other materials like silver and Tri-poly-ethylene di-electric material will aid in increasing the VP of the cable. The number associated with a VP rating is the percentage of the speed of light that a signal is traveling over the conductors. MIT Digital Interfaces have one of the highest VP Ratings in the industry. Coupled with our patented parallel digital networks, nothing works better at giving you better bass, clearer mid-range and more articulate high frequencies, with out being harsh or fatiguing.

Why is there an Online Dealer Price Book?
We sell our products through many different venues. Some of our products are only available by going into a "brick and mortar" store. Others are available only online. So we publish on online price book for our consumers to be able to research on the products before they buy over the internet.
What is the benefit with Multi-Pole technology?
Multipole technology is like having the performance of many cables rolled into one. Simply put, any cable, network or filter will have measurable components of inductance, resistance, and capacitance. The different combinations, or values of those components create a point of magnitude (Pole), somewhere within the audio range. Every cable will have one measurable, and definable pole that will define the articulation range for transferring the music. When comparing this articulation pole from manufacturer to manufacturer, it will usually be centered at different frequencies. The placement of this articulation pole is the main reason we hear differences in cables. Let’s say you had a cable that sounded great in the bass frequencies, and then a cable that did very well in the mid-range, and yet another that was very good at transporting the higher frequencies, and you bundled them all together to make one cable. In theory, you would have built a “three pole-MultiPole- audio cable.”

MIT Multipole technology is our patented solution for allowing all of the frequencies, and all of the music from your recordings to be heard without either emphasizing or de-emphasizing any of the music. For reference purposes, various MIT Multi-pole technology levels can ascertained on all of our products. This is signified by a number and an X. For example. our AVt Level 1 RCA interconnects have a logo that reads “5X”. This means that this product has five times the performance of just cable, so when you see these numbers on our packaging you will know instantly what level of performance that you are looking at. Multi-pole technology will deliver better bass, clearer mid-range and more articulate high frequencies when used in any audio system.
Should I use the same level interconnects as cables?
MIT was careful to name products so that products with similar names will indicate optimal compatibility. Shotgun interconnects are ideal with Shotgun Speaker cables, Magnum interconnects for Magnum Speaker cables etc. From time to time, there are advantages to interconnect upgrades, but a call to the factory is always advised when considering a departure from normally recommended matches.

Do the length of cables matter when connecting my system?
This is a popular and universally misunderstood question. Long Speaker cables and short interconnects are the best way to place amplifiers and front end equipment where you are going to be best served. As a rule, all interconnects will start to roll off high frequencies when they exceed 3m (10') in length. Balanced cables are best if long runs are a must. This 3m rule is the reason that we do not offer impedance matching circuits on long lengths, as the capacitance of the copper becomes the controlling factor in the balance of L to C to R, so these networks take this measurement first, then the networks are built around it. Input impedances from the destination device are needed for optimal interfacing.
What is "Imaging?"

In High End Audio, we use visual terms to describe things we can't see, so we sometimes confuse those who are new to this field of interest. " Imaging" describes the effect you can get when sitting strategically between a stereo signal played back from two speakers, to your two ears. The brain interprets this information so well, that you should "see" all the elements of the band, or instruments exactly where they were placed on stage in front of the microphone(s) with your eyes closed! We call this "2C3D" for two channel, three dimensional imaging between, and around the speakers. A properly set up system will fool the listener into thinking that they are sitting in a full surround sound system, and will insist that there are far more than two speakers in play!

Can I try out MIT cables?
Please go to this place, and enter your location for the dealer closest to you. If you do not have a dealer within reasonable proximity to your location, just contact us, and we will be happy to direct you to the right place for fast friendly service.
Can an average person "Hear" the difference?
You bet! One of our favorite demonstrations is to use "lamp cord" as speaker cables, and then add the AVt S CI-modules to each channel and play the difference. In four days during the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, we thrilled audiences more than 30 times a day. There were none present that claimed to "not" hear the dramatic improvement in articulation, detail and a genuine sense of "being there."

What is the "Efficiency Scale" developed Bruce Brisson?
A key element that was always missing when discussing the performance of audio and video cable was the ability to quantify performance through test results. In 1992, after years of R&D, MIT announced the development of the Efficiency Scale, a test and measurement program that correlates sonic qualities of cable with test-bench performance. Using proprietary software designed by MIT in conjunction with Hewlett-Packard, MIT was now able to measure a network's complex impedance, including its phase,and calculate its in-phase power and losses. These are the very factors that show how efficiently a given audio network or cable will pass the signal from input to output. MIT was able to combine these results into a single graph to characterize and correlate a network's sonic performance to what the ear hears, something no other cable company has the ability to do.

http://www.mitcables.com/index.php?o...ask=view&id=82
Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 AM

A bit more explanation

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-28-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty

Is there really a difference in digital cables?

Yes there are. The digital signal from a DVD player, CD Transport, or set top box, can transmit a lot of information. There are four common digital connections for this interface. Most common is 75ohm RCA connection, and a Toslink, or “fiber optic” connection between your player and receiver. Higher end connections will be ASE/EBU 110ohm connection or a BNC connector. Whatever the connector they all transmit information in a square wave digital signal. Cable can play a big part in transmitting this signal with less “jitter”, “jitter” equals noise.

http://www.mitcables.com/index.php?o...ask=view&id=82

I'm in tears of laughter, seriously.

You use a Lavry converter, right?

Well..

I've got news for you...

Dan Lavry himself has gone ON RECORD as saying that there is NO SUCH THING as a 'LOW-JITTER CABLE'

What do you make of that? You use his converters, yet you know something HE DOESN'T? Why don't you design your own converter?

Dan Lavry wrote:
Quote:
If Max is wrong and cables do not make jitter (and that is the case)

snip

I certainly did not agree that cables induce jitter.

You can see the thread here: http://216.239.59.132/search?q=cache...k&cd=1&gl= uk

In fact, Dan Lavry dismisses (quite rightly) ALL so-called 'audiophile cables' (not the same thing as affordably-priced industry-standard cables such as Van Damme / Belden / Klotz etc). Go here: http://216.239.59.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk

PSW is down at the 'mo, so you'll have to use the cache I linked to.

This is f*cking hilarious... Use Lavry's converters, but disregard what he says about cable theory... What does he know? Too funny...

edit - You can find the Lavry links here (thanks Erik): http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ead.php?t=8292

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak

Last edited by thermionic : 11-28-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, monster is good

No professional mastering or recording facility I know of uses Monster. It's regarded as over-priced cable for people who're blinded by marketing. They're also a very nasty company from an ethical perspective, check this link:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...terCable.shtml

http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:boin...6a64708fb20295

http://nobosh.com/s/monster-cables-l...v-cable/91180/

Taken from link
Quote:
Monster Cable has a long history of abusing trademark law to threaten and/or sue pretty much any company that uses the name "Monster" in its brand. That has included the TV show Monster Garage, a clothing store called MonsterVintage,

Monster isn't respected anywhere in pro circles to my knowledge.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 AM

i've listen to myteks:
first class converters too...
see the inside view of this beauty:
http://www.mytekdigital.com/products/stereo96dac.htm

Last edited by michele : 11-28-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Alot of

pro audio companies dont believe in the hifi cables or wanna endorse them in online or interviews, but from a convo i had with a tech @ Lavry he had told me, the digital cables are all pretty much the same, & where i will hear a diff and wanna invest my money is in high quality analog cables, from the da10 to the pre amp.

But if wire dont mean a thing, and lamp cord can do just as good, why does every recording studio use Mogami high end cabling for there Amplifiers, patch bays, monitors, mic runs, consoles if any old lamp cord can work? I mean they would save ALOT of money on cheap wiring if this is the case dont you think?

So IF this choice of mine is so wrong, why did the tech @ Lavry agree it will make a difference esp with all the HIFI product in my system. I like good cable, They woulda said do yourself a favour dont believe in the cable mombo jumbo your fine with the cables you have. i heard the slap in the face diff the MIT made over the Mogami and the tech agreed i will hear diff nuances all kinds of things in the sound stage, my money my choice ill buy what i want.

I drive a Super Charged Range Rover Sport wit all the add ons and had a LR3 before that, i can drive a kia or Hyundai SUV. They wil do the exact same thing, get me from point A to point B, the same thing wire does with current, gets it from point A to point B. I love the Range and the quality it has and offers on the road & I will never drive another SUV again, cause i feel there product is superior to any other on the road So am i wrong here as well?, The Same goes with my Wire I can hear differences. Think or lol at this but again my money, my choice.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-28-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 PM

I don't think that anybody here is disputing that using high quality analog cables can make a difference. IMHO, spending a bunch of money on a digital cable is just falling for audio voodoo. But hey, it's your money, and if it makes you happy, go for it!

Last edited by whaaat : 11-28-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaat
I don't think that anybody here is disputing that using high quality analog cables can make a difference. -snip
We are having a friendly discussion of how "high quality analog cables" should be defined thats all!

Now flogging every detail of a system is the high road, make no mistake, I'm not saying 'plug in any old thing and forget about it'.
Most all gear has limitations, the more you know about them the more you can work around them. The other dac mentioned at the outset is well regarded and used in many studios too, but is known to be a bit finicky as to what load it drives. Just so happens an ME mentioned here earlier said this about it:
'I've heard it trounce far more expensive converters when used with high impedance loads and I've heard it sound very mediocre with a passive line controller or a console monitor return. I run mine straight into a pair of (edit) that have 47k balanced inputs and put up with the built in volume control because it sounds better than my unbalanced passive attenuators.'

Cheers,

Erik
Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM

My post may have been unnecessarily confusing, what with all the double negatives. I personally use unbalanced Grover cables in my system, because I feel that they're more detailed and neutral than Rat Shack or Monoprice.

I was responding to this part of shorty's post:
Quote:
But if wire dont mean a thing, and lamp cord can do just as good, why does every recording studio use Mogami high end cabling for there Amplifiers, patch bays, monitors, mic runs, consoles if any old lamp cord can work? I mean they would save ALOT of money on cheap wiring if this is the case dont you think?
which I felt was a straw man argument as I don't seeing anyone in this thread (skimmed it, sorry) saying that.

I assumed that he was referring to a digital cable when he referred to "jitter" as it is nonsensical to talk about jitter in the analog domain.

Last edited by whaaat : 11-28-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 PM

"balanced output -> unbalanced input is not an acceptable connection practice.
unbalanced output -> balanced input is acceptable with a moderate loss in headroom."

My understanding is that only applies if you do nothing to the cables.

As for Monster, they sued Monster the job site which had gotten ahold of monster.com, even though Monster Cable had already gotten the rights to the "Monster" only name. I don't know about the other stuff.

The CEO was nice when I met him and I was impressed by the factory.

High priced cables, though, are, with a few previously mentioned exceptions, all overpriced. Monster's low and mid-priced stuff is made well and priced sanely. And no, I haven't gotten free stuff from them. In fact I find most of their products over marketed, over priced stuff with "Monster" tacked on.

But I've had pro a/v situations where we had to use S-video in a long run and had several cables available. The only one that did so with excellent picture and no detectable interferrence was the Monster brand one, which was only a few bucks more expensive than the others. I also have some TRS & XLR dj Monster cables that are fine and didn't cost much.

I'll tell you another thing about them: they treat their employees and distributors EXTREMELY well. Lots of perks, incentives, and I'm sure that applies to their attorneys, who seem to be busy ;-)

As for their competition, well...it's not run like a mom & pop outfit.

Would I buy an amp or speakers from them? Probably not...and they've gotten into both. But in the end we're just talking cables here.

And as far as cables go, a reasonable-length coax SPDIF cable is the least of anyone's concerns.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM

So i been listening

to my Lavry DA10s for 2 days now. I have 1 cd player with and 1 without to AB the unit vs listening without a dac.

I have to say i cannot listen to the players without these dacs, out of the 3 cd players avail, i like the techinics the best as i have posted before and chose to use in my ref system.

I listened to a few diff styls of music Jazz, Classical, Dowop jazz to get a great idea of exactly what are the advantages with the Lavry da10s.

Thru the cd player without the ext dac, all the notes seem congested, metalic and very edgy, it overall sounds thin and has alot of muck around the entire source. It just seems small in every way and hard sounding.

With the same source thru the cd player with the Lavry, everything opens up, you hear more nuances in the source, clasial piano plays in the rt pitch the notes go lower & up higher, piano seems very relaxed & smoother thru the Lavry. The sepration is much more define you have a great idea of where the musicians are on the stage as if they were performing rt there in front of you.

The mids are by far cleaner, and much more natural, with female vocals you can hear more depth in the vocal, you can really hear her breath and the vocal seems to be in the rt pitch aswell alot more breathy, when i switched back to the same song her vocal was thin and very edgy, didnt go down as low and was missing information in the lower and upper octaves, it just didnt sound like it was supposed to in comparison to using the Technics as the transport with the Lavry outboard DAC.

With a song from The Manhattan Transfer, the Male Baratone vocal in the cd were very tru to form and you really felt his vocal breath on you like you should, Then with the cd player w/out the Lavry and the same song, it was hard and the vocal did not play as low like it should in that vocal range. It was just stiff sounding from top to bottom. The midrange harmonies were very hard and harsh without the Lavry, with the Lavry in this range it fell rt into place i heard more info again thru this kind of pass thru the Lavry and was extreamily enjoyable to the player without the ext DAC.

Upright bass seems thin and not natural, it sounds muddled and the notes are not focused and lack tru definition to the source, it just sounds hard and harsh in other words.

My subs are playing cleaner and lower as well,

jus a overall major improvement to my audio when listening to cds on my system that makes it THAT much more enjoyable. Anyone that wants to improve there playback i recomend these 1000 % to bring your playback of digital media to a very enjoyable experience

Here are a few pics installed in my system

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lavry1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2142  Click image for larger version

Name:	lavry2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2143  Click image for larger version

Name:	Lavry3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2144  Click image for larger version

Name:	Lavry4.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2145  Click image for larger version

Name:	lavry5.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	2146  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-03-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:35 PM

So i just installed 1

of the 2 Apogee Digital SPIDF cable. I played a recent Louie vega song with Josh on vox from Blaze while i was pulling some classics on vinyl, just listening to nice music.

This song from Louie i believe the artist is a latin jazz artist, it has mostly live recorded instruments, mixed on a SSL board most likely thru Pro tools HD. I have been in the Studio with Louie many many times and have seen what he mixes on with a real Engineer.

Anyway, so im playing the song and I am noticing i am hearing more info in the top end and the song just has alot more body to it, the fiddles are sounding more creamy & Sweeter on the cd player with the Apogee thru my Lavry DA10s i said i cant believe this, from what everyone has told me & the Guys at Lavry with digital cables i shoudnt hear the difference its all pretty much the same, but i do, so i go back and listen to the same song with the Live digital SPIDF cable in the other cd player, and im noticing it is not as open in the top end kinda chopped sounding,the fiddles were not as sweet and bass did not have as much body to the song.

So i go back n forth about 8 times did this for over a hour to make sure im not crazy cause its just a new cable and i did not know what to expect, but sure enough i was rt.. So then i tested my system and cut the full and subbass on the SBS S3X and listen to just my TAD ET703 Tweeters the same way on both cd players 1 with the Apogee digi cable and the other cd player with the Live digi cable, and the tweeters played cleaner and triangles went higher and more dynamic thru the cd player with the Apogee SPIDF.

I seen the graph Apog puts on there packing that shows digital signal thru a reg SPIDF cable then the same signal thru the Apogee, and from what they claim, & on there packaging,

Apogees premium life, ultra high bandwidth Wide Eye was designed from the ground up for digital audio to eliminate loss and accumulated jitter in both balanced and coax formats.

Do to is exceptional frequency response it is also perfect for analog formats such as microphones, unbalanced analog and video transmision. Wyde Eye exceeds the AES specification for signal quality and degradation even over very long runs.

I dont have a scanner so i cant scan the packaging so i cant scan it but i will look and see if they have this on there site, im sure they do.

If some wanna come over one day and hear this test PM me so you guys can check out my Private SBS Thrive Audio Demo ref showroom

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-06-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 AM

Maybe the Live cable is damaged or is not soldered particularly well in there. You could probably test its impedence with some test gear to check it. A lot of phono cables actually don't have the specs they say on the package, especially the mass produced ones from some far off oem. I had a recoton (or whatever that brand is) component video cable I was using as SPDIF a few days ago not sounding right. I wiggled it, and it turned out to be intermittent. Swapped it with another and the sound went golden. Even if it's not intermittent yet, its impedence and shielding might not be doing what it's supposed to if the connections in there are thinning. Surprising how fragile cables are. Makes you wish everything was just 1/4" TS/TRS, XLR, and BNC cables. Yes, the perfect audio cabling world....hmm.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:33 AM

i went back and

Quote:
Maybe the Live cable is damaged or is not soldered particularly well in there. You could probably test its impedence with some test gear to check it. A lot of phono cables actually don't have the specs they say on the package, especially the mass produced ones from some far off oem. I had a recoton (or whatever that brand is) component video cable I was using as SPDIF a few days ago not sounding right. I wiggled it, and it turned out to be intermittent. Swapped it with another and the sound went golden. Even if it's not intermittent yet, its impedence and shielding might not be doing what it's supposed to if the connections in there are thinning. Surprising how fragile cables are. Makes you wish everything was just 1/4" TS/TRS, XLR, and BNC cables. Yes, the perfect audio cabling world....hmm.

did more evaluating and tried the other Live cable I have,( i have 2 of them) and still heard the differences like earlier.
i am getting perfect signal from rt to left, so im not experiencing any strange issues with cables.

I really think there are differences in cables the higher quality you go, even thou people say it cant be possible and its all smoke and mirrors, and will make a difference especially with a high end system.

With a system with real high quality components it will reveal and reproduce sound and you will hear music in a diff way that other systems wont reproduce music that are not as HIFI & parts of music will be buried and lost in them for these reasons.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-07-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
snip- i am getting perfect signal from rt to left, so im not experiencing any strange issues with cables. -snip
The signal technically can't be perfect left to right if you're hearing one as better. Better sound = different signal. BTW how do the two cables impedence measurements compare, just out of curiosity?

The Lavry has a mono feature, which would be great so you can compare identical signals, but can't in this case as the cables are upstream. Would be best if you could use a daw as source and mono there.

What clock mode are you using?

Erik
Old 12-07-2008, 02:36 PM

The Lavry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdubs
The signal technically can't be perfect left to right if you're hearing one as better. Better sound = different signal. BTW how do the two cables impedence measurements compare, just out of curiosity?

The Lavry has a mono feature, which would be great so you can compare identical signals, but can't in this case as the cables are upstream. Would be best if you could use a daw as source and mono there.

What clock mode are you using?

Erik

has kool features, i love that you can change the Polarity of the cd, 3 diff clock modes, and obviously the sound clarity as i have mentioned above.

I am using it in the Crystal selection @ the moment, thou i did audition the Narrow & wide mode as well.

This week when my MIT cables come in and after they break in i will do more evaluating from the 3 modes, i wanna see exactly what sounds best and get the most out of my Lavry Black DA10s.

I am using some Mogami cables rt now at the Analog outs, and i dont want to spend hours and hours of critcal listening time on these cables when i will use the MIT cables as my cables of choice & will give me greater results after break in, esp when i am noticing such great results from cable to cable on my system, so for now i am using it in crystal mode.

So in 2 weeks after my MIT cables break in, i will really spend time listening to what this option offers best in my application

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM

I wil say this

like i have stated before, it really is like listening with a blanket over your music without these outboard DACS and stand alone cd players,

just when you think your getting IT!, you listen to music thru these DACS and you realise how much your not getting IT, out of your digital music and being robbed out of the quality of your sound

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-07-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM

The store

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdubs

Erik

ordered me 3m Apogee cables by accident, so this week they are getting me the 2m lengths Apogee cables, and letting me keep the 3m Apogee cables for free.

The Live SPDIF cables are 2m, so when i get the 2M Apogees i will measure the Impedence, thou they all spec them to be 75 ohm SPDIF

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-07-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
So in 2 weeks after my MIT cables break in

That's a joke, right?

Why don't you go and tell this to the man who designed your converter, Dan Lavry? He'll tell you there's no such thing as 'cable break in' - as will anyone who paid attention during physics lessons at school.

The success of audiophile cables is testament to shoddy physics tuition in schools - and that's something many of the world's most respected designers have reiterated.

Considering the man who designed this converter you cherish so much dismisses the concept of all 'audiophile cables', and has published data proving this, just what is it that you know that Dan Lavry doesn't?

If you read the links provided to PSW, you'll notice that Lavry trounces all over the notion of all audiophile cables, whether they're designed for analogue or digital signal transmission.

'Cable break in' belongs in the same camp as 'crystal therapy' and tarot readings.

Note that many 'audiophile' cables invariably perform worse than standard stuff such as Canare or Belden cables costing a tenth of the price. How is this? Because the likes of Klotz and Belden design their cables according to the laws of physics, not marketing... In many situations 'audiophile' cables perform far worse than industry-standard cables in terms of noise rejection - this is because it takes knowledge to design a cable with effective screening, as opposed to the knowledge of how to extract money from the gullible...

Lavry has a forum at his site - why don't you go an ask the designer of your converter what his opinion of 'cable break in' is?

BTW - How much current is the cable rated at? And you think that running it for a few weeks, passing a few milliamps of current, will break it in? Laughable...

Last edited by thermionic : 12-08-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM

So if

my comments are so amusing to you, why dont you call MIT and lol at them and tell them there product and claims are laughable.

I know from experience using there cables, when you listen to there cables Brand new, and then after the 1st 2 weeks they have a diff texture and tonality usin the same source. They claim it is because of there network in the cable is why they need break in.

So lol at me all you like, it really dont matter to me, my choice my money ill buy what i like and use what i like an if i feel i want to buy more expensive laughable wire, then i will do so it really doesnt matter to me, i am really happy with the MIT cable,, again MY choice MY money.

I do know what i hear, and i do hear differences when i use 1 cable to the next, and i prefer the MIT cables in my application in my home.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-08-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Think about it for a second: a typical coaxial cable is likely to be able to pass a current up to around 3 amps (I've seen mic cable used to supply speakers before...terrible practice, but it didn't burn out). If this cable can handle 3 amps, do you honestly think passing about 5mA through it for a couple of weeks is going to 'burn it in'?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM

Call MIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic
Think about it for a second: a typical coaxial cable is likely to be able to pass a current up to around 3 amps (I've seen mic cable used to supply speakers before...terrible practice, but it didn't burn out). If this cable can handle 3 amps, do you honestly think passing about 5mA through it for a couple of weeks is going to 'burn it in'?

and ask them since my statements are so laughable to you and you dont wanna except my claims as if im a joke or something. I`m sure they can give a real good TECHNICAL explanation of exactly what is going on in there networks and why they need Break in, and let us know what they say to you. I look forward to hear your opinions after speaking to tech support at MIT.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-08-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
and ask them since my statements are so laughable to you and you dont wanna except my claims as if im a joke or something. I`m sure they can give a real good TECHNICAL explanation of exactly what is going on in there networks and why they need Break in, and let us know what they say to you. I look forward to hear your opinions after speaking to tech support at MIT.

would a call directly to the manufacturer, MIT, be the best option?
as they are the manufacturer in question...

or could a call to a trusted local university physics dept PhD be OK?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM

U can call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
would a call directly to the manufacturer, MIT, be the best option?
as they are the manufacturer in question...

or could a call to a trusted local university physics dept PhD be OK?

anyone you desire, but since they have the patent of there design, they can let you know anything you like about there product and the advantages of the boxes over reg cable that everyone states makes no diff.

I have tried with older MIT cables that i have to pull the boxes apart, and it was hard as hell to pull apart and i did not want to destroy the cable all together at the price they are, so i said #@!$ it, let me not try anymore and just enjoy the cables

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-08-2008 at 01:52 PM.