Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Rane MP 2015: First new Rotary Mixer in quite a while

http://dj.rane.com/products/mp2015-mixer
Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM

It should be at NAMM along with the TTM57SLMKII.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Good to see more knob twisters hitting the market
Old 01-22-2015, 08:41 PM

Awsome news, looks like a beast !
I need to go test this one ASAP...should not be easy here in Belgium

Will never sell my MP/XP2016a combo and bought a rodec MX1800 a few weeks ago (and boy that is an awsome mixer). If this MP2015 live up to expectations then my Xone 92r will have to find another home and start saving again (or sell my kidney)

It's been a long time since I was excited about a new mixer (from a big player) !

I'm guessing $3K for shure (submix channel, filters, EQ & ISO, soundcard, USB, SQ (spec's parts), custom levelpots, PCB's, ...) and THEY wrote this:

"the MP2015 is the best mixer produced by Rane—ever. There are no compromises in the design. It has the best sound, the best features, the best feel, and the best reliability and durability."

Sounds like High End with according price

First impression made me think about this one:

Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
RANE: HOME RUN. FINALLY.

They really seemed to lose their way the last few years with all these hiphop/serato mixers. WOW. Is all I have to say. Filling the niche, with some awesome innovation as well, the submix, switchable filter, and an isolator (even though you have it on each channel too). The converters seem like they'll sound amazing, and I think this will finally be a modern rotary option for all the deep house heads, having to deal with bringing a rack-mount mixer, isolator, etc., this is such a win, not even mentioning plug-in traktor, etc...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 PM

GORGEOUS design. Layout, symmetry, everything.

Last edited by atf104 : 01-25-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 PM

Love the look but I think they should have placed the ISO at the bottom of the unit below the channel volume.

Glad to see Rane continuing to bring products to market that respect the past... Hopefully, I finally get a deal on a 2016a combo...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:51 PM

Needless to say, I am very excited about this.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:21 AM

The blog description of the unit was quite funny i thought, did the marketing departing getting rooted by the Engineers waving their fancy parts mounted on an FR4 PCB. Wow, now even fibreglass makes sound
Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM

One thing I am curious about is the source switching on this mixer.

With only one RCA input per channel, it would seem like a challenge to toggle between a CDJ and PHONO on the same channel without having access to the switch on the rear of the mixer. That seems to be one advantage that the 2016 still holds.

Also worth pointing out, Rane added a comprehensive blog post explaining the evolution of the rack mount MP 2016 line. I have the "s" model but I never knew what was different other than font and external power brick.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM

They make the statement of "beginning in 1971 with Rudy Bozak's CMA-10-2DL" which is not accurate. The DL did not appear until 1975 but that's not important. Rotary's were around long before that but maybe the name of BOZAK and UREI help promote the product. None the less I have used many RANE products over the years and most have been satisfactory and perform well. Lots of nice on board features etcetera. Let's hope this is quality not just a hyped item like some mixers we have seen over the past 15 years or so.

Last edited by Captainjr : 01-24-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
One thing I am curious about is the source switching on this mixer.

With only one RCA input per channel, it would seem like a challenge to toggle between a CDJ and PHONO on the same channel without having access to the switch on the rear of the mixer. That seems to be one advantage that the 2016 still holds.

Great point... I think they should have separated the digital inputs from the analog ones so at least you could toggle between the two. The matrix inputting would also be nice.

Here is a link to the unit at NAMM... No demo though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg2YyQ39td4

With the additional features like the filter set and isolator in the MP2015, I would love to see Rane release its own outboard isolator (or filter) unit or even a revised expansion processor for the MP2016.

In regards to the blog, I didn't know (or just plain forgot) that the original had Black Beauties. Does that mean the MP2016a/s models could have the BB retrofitted?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:18 PM

atf104... Could you scale that image down? Its a tad big... LOL
Old 01-25-2015, 06:36 AM

That mixer looks very nice. I like the wood on the sides its a very nice touch.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:30 PM

@in2house, geesh... just trying to give some detail lol

Great video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMAwnA5WvLc

One comment regarding the isolator, and remembering back to all the old clubs in nyc, at some point as the isolator has been more and more "a thing" of deep house, it at some point seemed to transition to below the mixer. I remember at vinyl, twilo, tunnel, etc, it was always above as you were focused on your mix as well as the isolator. I think it's more of the 'Louie Vega' style of big vocal deep house cutting/chopping, etc where it has become more of a below the mixer thing.

I really have to give it to Rane, again. So many possibilities. Obviously running traktor direct into this and using the high-end converters is a huge deal. If you're a CDJ person, you can use the converters in the Rane instead as well, very cool. The sub mix, nice cross-mixing console innovation include. Most importantly, the design kicks ass, it really is beautifully done in this post-rack gear age. Another few 5c of my thoughts..

I just designed a similarly layed out midi controller, but this guy will be on my list soon....
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Really hoping they offer a more compact 2-channel version such as...

Chassis dimensions: 10"W x 14"H footprint

Last edited by Black Science : 01-27-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Black Science.... Glad you joined the discussion when I saw the thread, I believe it was you that did the first Rane Empath Rotary Mod and then Rane released their own factory version.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Hi - Yep, I submitted to Rane 4-channel rotary design concept with master isolator, dual-USB, etc. back in 2006. Whether or not that had any influence on MP2015 being produced I have no idea, but glad they're finally addressing this segment of market. Just submitted the 2-channel concept you see above the other day. Who knows if it'll ever become a reality, but one can hope I guess. FWIW, most DJs I've personally shown this to have said they'd instantly buy it if the sound quality is up to snuff. The reality I'm guessing is that the overwhelming majority of DJs really only 'MIX' two sources at once, so it's a bit overkill for many DJs to have a 4-channel mixer that takes up more valuable real estate (not to mention cost more) when a 2-channel will get the job done in a 10" chassis while spacing the controls out a bit more comfy. That's not to say more sources can't be 'CONNECTED' at once which is why this design has in addition to dual USB soundcard, there's one phono plus two line inputs per channel for great multi-source flexibility. For additional cost and real estate savings, the SUB MIX section is eliminated as well since just two channels are easily managed whereas with four channels can get a bit unwieldily with SUB MIX so it makes sense for MP2015 to have that very cool feature. FX LOOP can affect either channel 1, channel 2, or both channel 1 and 2 simultaneously by engaging respective buttons and adjusting single wet/dry knob.

Channel Sources are…

Channel 1: USB 1A, USB 1B, Phono 1/Line 1, Line 3
Channel 2: USB 2A, USB 2B, Phono 2/Line 2, Line 4

The added flexibility having two line inputs per channel provides is enormous. For example, let’s say you have two DJs using two different DVS setups, and for whatever reason they aren’t being routed through USB. Dual line inputs per channel allows both DJs to simultaneously connect to a 2-channel mixer so all they have to do is simply select which line inputs they’re on without need to unplugging/replugging anything.

There’s also an AUX OUT that can be used for a number of things including sending final mixed signal out to a recording device that is unaffected be the master volume level.

1/4” TRS headphone jack located on front panel.

Last edited by Black Science : 01-27-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 PM

I am a huge, long-time admirer of Rane. In addition to Serato boxes, and three of their flagship mixers (including their original-revision rotary) I've had a bunch of Rane's high-end DSP products -- and my guess is that it's using a lot of the same (or refined versions of) the filter algorithms that are kicking around in those boxes. I am sure it will perform wonderfully, and sound pristine. This box is all-digital excepting the input and output converters.

That last point is worth considering, however. A lot of the reason people like the UREI 1620, for example, is because the circuitry (mostly the output TXes) does things to sweeten the sound. It may be that some people still prefer their vintage rotary mixers because of a certain sonic signature they add.

rs
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM

I pre-ordered one of these. I have an MP-2016, and also purchased a DJM-900 simply because the 2016 isn't portable (I went with the DJM just because it's industry standard, easy to sell, etc.).

I plan on selling both provided the MP-2015 is as nice as it seems to be.

The filters, sound card, better metering, and that sexy isolator, the sub channel (finally a decent effects setup)... all trump the MP-2016 feature wise, and it's portable.

I know it's all digital... but that's not so important to me these days, DSP's are damn good!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Is the metering really going to be better on this one?

It seems to me that they've taken a cue from "the Pioneer effect" and made it so that only the top LED is red -- all others are yellow and green. Either this thing never clips (hard to believe with the gain controls per channel), or they are just acknowledging that most idiots think that hitting the red is the goal.

People on this board have pointed out that Pioneer always has their full clipping LEDs on in their marketing images so first time DJ's think that is the proper way a mixer should look (nevermind sound). It's always been my experience that the Pioneer mixers that came after the 300/500 barely give you any space between staying in the green and peaking in the red.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
Is the metering really going to be better on this one?

It seems to me that they've taken a cue from "the Pioneer effect" and made it so that only the top LED is red -- all others are yellow and green. Either this thing never clips (hard to believe with the gain controls per channel), or they are just acknowledging that most idiots think that hitting the red is the goal.

People on this board have pointed out that Pioneer always has their full clipping LEDs on in their marketing images so first time DJ's think that is the proper way a mixer should look (nevermind sound). It's always been my experience that the Pioneer mixers that came after the 300/500 barely give you any space between staying in the green and peaking in the red.

I don't personally care too much about the color of the LED's, but do appreciate having a full array of LED's to meter. Although, I have never really had much trouble with the MP-2016's single blinking LED style metering either...
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM

all the rotary geeks are all over this
Old 02-07-2015, 12:00 PM

As someone who used to mix using the Aux system on a Xone 62 and route the filters through the crossfader with pan (awesome), my first thought was this is a waste if it's analog, but holy shit they went all out and digital.

WOW. Rane has set a new benchmark. The new standard. Forget the faders, already. If you're planning on scratching, bring your own two channel scratch mixer. Do clubs really want turntablists juggling on the house mixer? No.

I hope other brands try to mimic at least some of this feature set at a lower price point. There's no reason Numark, DJ Tech, and others can't get a lot of this for a fraction of the price. My PPD9000 and shitty little DJ Tech digital mixers already beat the pants off Xone, Mackie, and Biamps. Proliferating this set of requirements for a mixing DJ will be a watershed moment for us. It's frankly inexcusable how much the scratch people have dictated designs for the last 20+ years, including on 3 or more channel mixers. For Denon to have missed this on the 1700 is an indication of the gap between NPD and the community.

Now, I do agree that matrix inputs would have been nice and I would even say 4 channels was unnecessary. A 3-ch matrix design would have been sufficient, but no other manufacturer is going to splurge this much into a single rotary digital board. So let the competition begin, but I don't see anyone matching or topping this on the elite end.

Anyone know what the compressor/limiter options are per channel, headphone, and outputs?

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html

Last edited by Reticuli : 02-07-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 AM

This is no doubt a very beautiful piece that obviously a great many people will be happy with. If it works for you, that's all that matters. The only concern for myself was, I was under the impression that you can't pack that many features into mixer without ultimately sacrificing some sound quality.

~M