http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/P...CDJ2000-NEXUS/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29KGR...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29KGR...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULA8Q...feature=relmfu

what else do you need???
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 AM

a set of technics 1200s
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM

i would buy any day a mod that would allow my technics 1200s to play a usb stick
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM

sticker shock

My understanding from the reviews I have seen is that many of the "new" features would primarily be useful if you are using more then two CDJ's (sync, overviews of the other decks, etc).

How many DJ's can actually afford 2 let alone 3 or 4 of these?

I like the concept of moving away from the laptop in the DJ booth, but the price point makes it difficult IMO.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I think their a giant leap forward to the dj’s who find using headphones & pitch adjusting bothersome. The full color screens with waves will give them something to look at other then the laptop.

Very nice units actually, but $2400? Oh my.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaroue
I think their a giant leap forward to the djs who find using headphones & pitch adjusting bothersome. The full color screens with waves will give them something to look at other then the laptop.

Very nice units actually, but $2400? Oh my.

Real price is looking under $2k. A bit more than the existing CDJ-2000's. Which were already too expensive anyway.

They look like nice feature upgrades. Just enough to give new functionality, but distinctively still a CDJ... and easy to use.

Sync, meh. Everyone's up in arms. If you don't like it, don't use it. I have had sync via traktor for what 5 years and don't use it. Quantized loops, however, I do use quite a bit. It's another tool just like anything else.

Not sure if I'll upgrade yet. I can get a pretty penny for my existing 2000's, so it might be worth staying up with the upgrade curve.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Seems wonderful. I've played around with the CDJ 2000 maximum a handfull og times, but you don't need to be a rocket science to understand the beaty in these players. I can only imagine this is better.

I wouldn't swap them with my Technics, but would be nice to have a pair on the side though. The way I see it playing vinyl vs playing with these machines is two totally different things, but I guess both can be fun. Some times it's nice to being able not to get stuck in the same old pattern of mixing style.

I agree that the sync button doesn't matter since you don't get forced to use it, but still I think it's sad that eventually some people will come into the game without ever knowing the most simple basics...

Too bad technology like this is do damn expensive, otherwise I would probably have bought a pair :-)
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM

What do you think people would pay for a mod kit to allow a 1200 to use a USB stick in tandem with control vinyl?

If I was designing it, it would be absolutely as simple as possible, like a character-only LCD screen and a jog-knob with a push button to select songs.

rs
Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Interesting that no one on this board is talking about the new (or better said) better DAC.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurin
Interesting that no one on this board is talking about the new (or better said) better DAC.

Maybe because it is the same as in the first CDJ2000 series?

By the way is it realy noticeable difference compared to a CDJ1000Mk3? I mean with average club music, not high quality disco mastered stuff or so..
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen5656

By the way is it realy noticeable difference compared to a CDJ1000Mk3? I mean with average club music, not high quality disco mastered stuff or so..

Yes, to my ears it is. The dac in the 2000 is by far the best I've heard in a deck. More then noticeable.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen5656

No its is not.
Same manufacturer different modell.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
What do you think people would pay for a mod kit to allow a 1200 to use a USB stick in tandem with control vinyl?

If I was designing it, it would be absolutely as simple as possible, like a character-only LCD screen and a jog-knob with a push button to select songs.

rs
i would buy it eyes closed
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
So basically, they sync now, nail-coffin--shut-CDJ's. The only thing going for CDJ's was the "playing" element and the fact they DIDN'T sync, or as is the argument for all the "real dj's" that play CD's. So now the CDJ's sync and don't sync the same as the computer.

Why would I spend thousands on CDJ's when I can have a 15" full-size display user interface on my computer, showing me waves and my entire collection in a clean and easily browsable format? Dumbest move I've seen Pioneer make. The CDJ faithful will now be at war with those that "sync", same as the computer DJ's. I'm glad I personally moved on from the CDJ thing years ago. I'll pull out real records when I want to play vinyl, otherwise, Traktor is the future.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Why would I spend thousands on CDJ's when I can have a 15" full-size display user interface on my computer, showing me waves and my entire collection in a clean and easily browsable format? Dumbest move I've seen Pioneer make.

And you can always use your computer for so much more, like run a business off of it.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM

SD cards are useless, especially for people running Macs. I don't understand why the 1200 didn't come with a USB port to read WAV, AIFF, FLAC from a hard disc (noticed I didn't mention lousy MP3 ;-) )

I still wished someone would develop the firmware a bit further to solve chopping sound problems when speed is reduced with pitch correction activated. If a free "Virtual DJ" can do it, I don't know why the 1200 failed miserably.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee In Montreal
SD cards are useless, especially for people running Macs.

What do you mean by this? I use SD cards with my CDJ-2000's, and I use a Mac. It works great. Unless you meant the older CDJ-1000 SD cards that stored cue data only?

Pioneer is pushing to keep laptops out of the booth. They had no choice but to put sync on their professional products to stay competitive.

Look at it as another tool, you don't have to use it. And it DOES open up some nice possibilities, even if you aren't using it for every mix, to better use quantized loops and extend mixes and such.

Fact of the matter is, if a DJ wants to be lazy and use auto-sync, they've been able to do it for years. And look at some of these "top" DJ's, with their equipment not even turned on or connected in some cases.

I think these are a nice upgrade to an already great deck.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM

the SD-DZ failed because on launch it was simply bad, and expensive. The CDJ simply worked well all the time. the Technics had the master-tempo issue for example which was really dumb.

I think the 2000 nexus is a logical and good evolution of the CDJ 2000. the sync button is only normal. the CDJ 2K already shows BPMs down to a decimal.

But I do feel its a bit too much aimed at super-PRO DJs, the big names. The average working DJ doesn't need half the functions because in a small club you'd have 2, maybe 3 of these players. Also you wouldn't be preparing your tracks on your phone because you are in your private jet. You'd be at home in front of your computer, then take the bus to the club.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Laurin... will they be better?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Jepp they will.
Really an awesome chip!

But even now a proper recorded vinyl (Hifi TT, cartridge, pre amp & AD) as wav played through CDJ 2000 is fantastic!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM

lol, $2K+ each and still made of el cheapo toy-like plastic and with displays that can't be read in direct sunlight. :facepalm:
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Science
lol, $2K+ each and still made of el cheapo toy-like plastic and with displays that can't be read in direct sunlight. :facepalm:

I got mine for $1759 each, shipped.

The display in the sun thing is a tough one... there aren't many displays of that type (color, graphics, backlit) that ARE good in the sun, though the way the CDJ is designed it is like a mirror.

As for plastic, I always wished they were better. The Nexus's do seem even a bit better than the first 2000.

This is my 3rd pair of CDJ's (1000 MK2's, 2000's, 2000 Nexus's), I've never had a problem with any of them. I've had some in clubs where the buttons had been beaten to hell and they wouldn't always work on the first press, but they always play.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751
The display in the sun thing is a tough one... there aren't many displays of that type (color, graphics, backlit) that ARE good in the sun...

Not true, there are many color displays that have been available for years that are designed specifically for indoor/outdoor use in countless consumer electronics (e.g. marine chart plotters, handheld GPS devices, etc.). Pioneer is and has been cutting corners in these areas for years, all the while charging prices that merit step up materials and technologies.

If I only had a nickel for every time I've seen this:

Last edited by Black Science : 10-10-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM

To me, it's pretty tough to beat the "laptop / dumb music player" combo.

The laptop can download songs on the fly, rename them, edit and normalize them on the fly, and so on. (Maybe you guys think that's lame, but I like to be able to snag requests at a gig.) You can even use Youtube in a pinch since Internet is basically everywhere now. (You can also tilt the screen for optimal viewing, of course.) Then the dumb player can simply focus on what it does best.

The half-dozen controllers that come out every month will always and forever have compatibility, standardization, and configuration issues. That's my prediction. Meanwhile, a control signal is a control signal, whether it comes from a cassette tape, an iPod, or vinyl.

You do have to be careful with a laptop but they're pretty much a commodity item by now, plus I'm not sure a Macbook is any more fragile than one of these CDJ2000s which has a full computer, including networking, inside it. And, before much longer, professional-level DVS software will run on phones, tablets, you name it -- so the convenience barrier will be even lower.

rs
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 AM

I played on some events where they had some sort of sun shield (With pioneer logo on it) hooked to the CDJ.