Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 AM

Time to move on from DBX audio processor

I've used the DBX driverack PA for a few years now, mostly for crossover functionality (three way).

I believe it's sound quality is crappy, so I would like to move in the right direction, without having to upgrade again soon. I've considered XTA, Lake, Xilica digital processors. But maybe the best sound quality is still from good analogue active crossovers, like Bryston?

Any suggestions?
My crossover points are 90, 335, 2Khz. mostly 6 db/octave slopes for best transient response.

Thanks,
Herman
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 PM

If you want to use digital, XTA & Lake would be your best option as they offer 96 kHz/24-bit processing.

An analogue crossover would be fine as well providing you can find one that offers 6 dB per octave slopes. An analogue crossover offers the widest frequency bandwidth regardless what brand over 96 kHz/24-bit Loudspeaker Management Processors.

Bryston is more home audio so it may not be capable of delivering the proper voltage on professional amplifiers.

Best Regards,
Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 AM

BSS makes a 96k unit, it's thousands less then the XTA but I don't know how good it is. I've been using Ashly to this point, I'm fairly happy with it. Never seen a Xilica... ever.

Last edited by Balaroue : 06-30-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 AM

I have a couple of Bryston 10b-STD's and i love them to death!
your frequency's might have to change to 100/300/2k for a standard off the shelf 10b, slope of 6db is fine.
You can get them to change the frequency's to what ever you want and you can get balanced XLR's if you need as well!

In saying that you can buy cheaper analogue crossovers which won't cost as much and still be an improvement over the DSP.
Some people seem to like the Ashly units but i haven't used them, the RANE units are good quality as well!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Perhaps Elliot you were referring to Bryston amplifiers (which are great for mid/highs, obviously not for low end), but their crossovers are some of the finest around and powered Stereo Montreal quite well for many years.

They are quite expensive and without getting into a Lake or something like that, I'd suggest the BSS BLU-100 which has the same converters as the high end BSS processors with fixed I/O and lower cost.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 AM

I tried a lot of all in one units and ended up going analog and modular myself. White EQs running as crossovers and 1176 compressors. It's the only way I was really satisfied with the sound. Good luck, rs
Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
I tried a lot of all in one units and ended up going analog and modular myself. White EQs running as crossovers and 1176 compressors. It's the only way I was really satisfied with the sound. Good luck, rs

rs,

What is "White EQs"? So you used one equalizer for each frequency band -- for example three eq boxes for three way speakers?

Doesn't an equalizer introduce phase shift, therefore screwing up the transient response?

thanks,
Herman
Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 AM

I've been using the Xilica for awhile and like it allot they are 96/24 as well.

AL
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Perhaps Elliot you were referring to Bryston amplifiers (which are great for mid/highs, obviously not for low end), but their crossovers are some of the finest around and powered Stereo Montreal quite well for many years.

I'm refering to offering enough voltage to power a professional amplifier properly. Bryston is a home audio company. Home audio equipment requires less input voltage than professional audio equipment.

Providing the Bryston crossover can supply enough output voltage to power amplifiers he is using properly, using a home audio product should not be a problem.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Elliot Thompson : 07-02-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviygera
rs,

What is "White EQs"? So you used one equalizer for each frequency band -- for example three eq boxes for three way speakers?

Doesn't an equalizer introduce phase shift, therefore screwing up the transient response?

thanks,
Herman

White EQs are very old equalisers. If you go for XTA or Lake you won't need it. This is what a White EQ resembles.

http://www.chaselivingston.org/wp-co...08/1white1.jpg

Best Regards,
Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 AM

Sorry, just saw this.

I use White 4700 EQs, which are a newer model. They make a mastering version of the same model -- same circuit but with a ridiculously high frequency response, so obviously somebody out there can tolerate their flaws

Maybe they mess with the sound in some way that instrumentation can measure and maybe they don't, but they sound great to me.

rs
Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM

I use a Driverack 260 with Tannoy Reveal (old style) monitors and a Tanoy TS8 sub. I mainly use it for the crossover and limiting on the sub. I used the built in crossover on the sub for a long time but I found the dbx to be a big improvement. One day I would like to go all analog but that will be after mixer and monitor upgrades. For now I'm happy with the Driverack 260. =)