Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Samplaholic

djjonk - Why so much ?

I took look for a 1620 for friend and came across one from djjonk.
i wanted to know why so much? I respect the fact that a " best offer" option is in play. But the BK price is $2800 delivered ( item 7377867243) . $700 BK for the other older lesser known rotary (7377853213) .

Just 9 posts before this one a thread was started " Why are the old UrEi 1620 mixers costing more? by djjonk. I just wanted to clear the air as I can't be the only one who has picked this up.

I also want to state that I'm not accusing djjonk of playing both sides of the coin but only to clarify the difference in the pricing and the post. The cat has been nothing but cool so don't get it twisted.

Why so much dude?
________
grandma Cam

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 AM

What's bizarre is that he's selling this Urei while continuing to bid high prices for other old Ureis.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:19 PM

Perhaps its collector quality-flawless in everyway

perhaps his dog needs a new collar.

and maybe he just feels like it.

questioning his motives publicly is not professional.

Last edited by mieze245 : 01-02-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mieze245

Neither is ignoring the original question
Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Samplaholic

Public post , public auction, public question? - and i believe a fair question at that. Many of the bidders on such auctons are from this very group as you know. When one of own makes a post and an auction that are in contradiction a question is bound to be asked - in this case by me.

I've already stated my reasons for question and my respect for djjonk . I think this is forum built on honest opinions and an exchange of knowledge and ideas. No apologies.

Quote:

Sorry dude . If you don't want to be scrutinized then don't post.

Nobody here is fishing for clients so I'm not really sure of what type of professionalism you're speaking. "Speaking your mind" , that's what makes this forum so great.
________
Voyeur school

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM

Since time is a consideration, it seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier and MUCH less time consuming to simply write out an explanation ONCE in the forum as opposed to inviting a large number of phone calls by posting a phone number publically.

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Whats wrong with putting a really high buy it now price on something. I do it all the time when I sell stuff on ebay. I don't usually expect for someone to actually buy it for that, but if they do GREAT.

I've even bought overpriced stuff using buy it now simply because I'm guaranteed to win the auction and win it immediately. I don't have to keep coming back to see if I'm still ahead or stay up late until the last few minutes of the auction. Its people like me that prefer convenience who are really the ones driving up prices.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM

Odd reply; so many words and nothing conveyed.

Buy-now price isn't the issue. If someone's foolish enough to blow an extra 1K on the Urei that's their choice.

The constant buying, selling & bidding on mixers is what's curious given his previous post asking why prices have gone up-IMO he's part of that equation. Also strange is the continued statements about selling his last Urei while still bidding high on others, thereby jacking prices for the rest of us.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Criscodisco
Odd reply; so many words and nothing conveyed.

Buy-now price isn't the issue. If someone's foolish enough to blow an extra 1K on the Urei that's their choice.

The constant buying, selling & bidding on mixers is what's curious and what would definitely contribute to higher prices for the rest of us.

It's def safe to say that you are not going to get a urei for a decent price on ebay anytime soon..
Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 PM

Not so; anyone who watches them knows that prices vary widely. Your perception is actually contributing to higher prices.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Samplaholic

Quote:
Your positive posts to "Why so much"? by nitred are great.

jnkarrik stated his own reasons for his own behavior. However ,jnkarrik didn't make a post to his peers contradicting his selling practice.

mieze245's reponse simply expresses that he doesn't agree with the public nature of the question and that your dog may need to accessorize it's wardrobe.

Hardly positive by any standard and with more questions being raised, not much to laugh at. We've heard thier responses/explanations and respectfully await yours.
________
California dispensary

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:01 PM

Sounds like nervous laughter.

Nice try at deflecting; but no content forthcoming. The same contradictions still apply.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Criscodisco
Not so; anyone who watches them knows that prices vary widely. Your perception is actually contributing to higher prices.

Why would i be contributing, isnt it the truth that the same group of people are bidding on every single urei coming on to the market thru ebay and like wise, raising prices and making it dificult to get any at a respectable price..

But that's buisness, and to some it means there livelly hood.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Whats the difference why John asks the prices he does? It is his gear, he can set his prices as he sees fit.

I find it tacky to ask him online why he asks the prices he does, and also to allude that he needs the money!

Whatever his reasons are they are his reasons.

If I were to sell one of my vintage RLA,s I would set a ridiculously high BIN, and if someone bought it, good for me! I guess then everyone would assume I`m broke? Point is, vintage gear is vintage gear, the few who have some goodies can ask whatever they wish, if they get it, great, if not, oh well. But I am a buisinessman, and IF I were going to sell something I know has value as a collectible, I would try to get as much as possible, even if some feel it isnt actually worth the price. You might be surprised, though, some people buy in spite of high pricing!

Its his stuff, he can ask whatever he wants for it, if you dont like it, dont buy it!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:28 AM

Hey Scott, as the moderator I'm disappointed in you. I expect a more balanced perspective. Even using the term tacky in this context is tacky, actually, given that this is supposedly a fairly free forum which welcomes different views.

The fact is the thread and questions are legit. If you want to make this a boring site in a hurry, keep jumping in to inject your opinions and side against views don't agree with. To be impartial and a good moderator in future takes more than this IMO, Scott.

You yourself have missed the gist of the thread, so perhaps you might want to re-read. John got himself into this by contradicting his own statements and acting like he didn't know it. Those comments were mentioned earlier in this thread and ignored by you. Then he chose not to answer.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
i wanted to know why so much? I respect the fact that a " best offer" option is in play. But the BK price is $2800 delivered ( item 7377867243) .

Scott, I must agree with Crisco, the question is fair, I would be interested in knowing why he is asking this much myself. If he just wants to ask that amount then let him tell us why. If he just feels like it then fine but it is curious why he is asking so much and the question was politely asked IMO.

James
Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 AM

i am a completely uninterested party, and i have to say that it really doesn't matter what anyone is selling this gear for.
if they can get their asking price, more power to them.
this is the nature of capitalism.
as far as his other thread, so what if he was trying to figure out if what he was asking was an unreasonably high price?
he found his answer - yes, people are willing to pay high prices for a mint early 80s UREI mixer.
whether they should pay that price is a different question, but everyone has the option of buying a new one if they don't like his price.
while i find his prices high, if someone else wants to spend that money, more power to him.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 AM

I beleive so many of you have missed the point. All the orignal poster asked was why so high ?

As usual, this board takes off and pounces and gets into a debate about capitalism and his right to high pricing. Again all the original poster asked was why such a high price.

An example of a good response would be that a famous DJ owned it. Or, it is in mint condition etc.

But NOOOOO not on this board, (Huge Grin)

Simply amazing LOL
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 AM

arguing about hte morals of a high price for a mint piece of old kit makes this board more boring.

if u want an old urei that works, you gonna pay. if you want a cheaper 1620, soundcraft is making them now with a warranty.

capitalism sucks indeed, but you can choose to find your own ways of monetary life. hmm, although maybw not in america.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Im not standing up for anyone, other than the fact that " I " feel its Johns perogative to set his prices as he sees fit, whether I would agree with his prices or not is another story. But I also dont like seeing inference to his needing a " New Collar " for his dog, and things like that!

In my eyes, I feel some questions seem to be aimed at degrading people!

Im not deleteing any posts, or closing the thread, but I am a participant in this forum too, besides being the moderator, and I have opinions too! Just my opinion.

Ebay has become " THE " sellers market, so, if you have vintage and highly desirable gear, it is the place to sell it, and get the most for it! Basically, if you sell stuff, you should be looking to make as much money as possible off it, even if others feel prices are too high! But again, its his stuff, he can do what he wants!

I have stuff that I have owned since WAYYYY back in the day! I also have stuff I bought over the last ten years, and I am glad I bought the rest of my Ureis back in the mid nineties, when you could still get a good Urei for $1000 and under! But, this aint the mid 90,s anymore.

I dont like what gas costs either! But I gotta buy it anyway!

My perspective as moderator is a balanced point of veiw! Im neither sanctioning, nor opposing Johns prices, Im just saying he has a right to ask whatever he wishes!

IF I were saying NO you cant say this to whomever, then I would be trying to make this a sterile site, you can carry on all you want over this subject, and I can also offer my opinion too!

Please feel free to continue as you like!

Last edited by clubman5 : 01-05-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Samplaholic

With all due respect to everyone who responded,

The original question was to simply find out what was driving his pricing decision in reference to his prior post. What he can and cannot do was the result of people answering a question that was never asked. I agree with his right to sell at $2800 or $2.8 million - but what is driving the price. An element his defenders left out.

I personally had never seen a 1620 at $2800 so I simply asked the question. I was expecting a response referencing the going rate, scarcity, mods to mixer, or maybe a club it pulled from. Instead of a straightforward response I got request for emails and phone calls. If he can explain his pricing privately with members , why not right in the forum amongst his peers who would respect his position (agree or not)?

He decided to sit back and let others defend him with everything except anything relevant. In fact , most of the post seemed to be more about proclaiming ( in tone) thier own freedoms to sell more than anything else.

In reference to his post , he may not know what makes others price a Urei so high but is more than aware of the rationalization of his own pricing.

" Whats the difference "

Well Scott, to myself and others that would still like to hear him speak for himself... a significant one.
________
IT250H

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM

I would sell my 1620 for a measly 2.5M USD -- heck for that kind of cash, I would even throw in two more OG UREI phono cards for a total of 5, and a pair of extra special "one of a kind" DUO cards personally modded with an IC socket and TLO74s.....

Shit I would also throw in my 1200s, Amps, RLA X-2000, EQs, records, custom made DUO-Audio line jumpers, extra ALPs & AB Mod pots...

any takers

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave

Last edited by louped garou : 01-05-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nitred

" Whats the difference "

Well Scott, to myself and others that would still like to hear him speak for himself... a significant one.
So be it, Ill say no more!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Nitread got it right. Everyone continues to miss the point. No one is disputing his right to sell it for any amount. He was only asked to explain why he priced it so high. And $2,800 for a mixer of that vintage is high no matter how you look at it. Would you buy a house worth 125K for 250K and not ask the seller why they are priced so high ? God I love this board (Huge Grin)

You know what will resolve this question. The free market - Ah capitalisim is a great thing. I wager that at that price point he is asking it will not sell and that will be the answer that demonstrates the point very clearly that the mixer is just priced too high. I would have more respect for the seller if he simply said, I know its over priced but you cant blame a kid for trying.

James
Old 01-05-2006, 06:58 PM

"Worth" is such a subjective thing though James....

and as you noted, the market will show what it will bear --- but is that even really indicitive of worth, or merely a show of bad timing. As you know, sometimes timing is everything.

are you saying that my NLA rig isn't worth 2.5M?

I am truly hurt

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave