Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Pioneer DJM-900nexus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThb-...eature=related
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

Some nice improvements over the DJM-800 if your looking for more effects. However for myself (and perhaps its because I'm getting older), I don't see why you need all these crazy effects. Perhaps its to compensate for the terrible music they play. Ironically, Pioneer boasts all this digital technology but the reality is that its all for playing LO-FI MP3 files.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Pioneers gonna run out of numbers soon.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM

is it terrible that i dont even give a fuck about a new mixer i mean they got the cdjs right ill give them that i love my cdjs but all i really want is two decks a mixer and the dopest tracks it was so much simpler when we had no choice but 1200s the creativity was better

peas
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM

+1 in2house and Fred

Pretty much feel the same way here...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette
is it terrible that i dont even give a fuck about a new mixer i mean they got the cdjs right ill give them that i love my cdjs but all i really want is two decks a mixer and the dopest tracks it was so much simpler when we had no choice but 1200s the creativity was better

peas

thing is they didn't get the new cdjs right (2000's)
major issues with them unless your only playing CDs
I had the music stop dead on me the other night right at 1:00 in
the morning - talk about coming out of The Zone real quick!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Don't really care for their mixers, but the CDJ2000's are some of the best tech I think at least, Pioneer has put out. HID control with Serato is flawless. In one night seamlessly switched between cd's, Serato, USB stick, all night, no glitches. Interface is beautiful. You should check your firmware, make sure its current... They had some glitches in earlier versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Dub
thing is they didn't get the new cdjs right (2000's)
major issues with them unless your only playing CDs
I had the music stop dead on me the other night right at 1:00 in
the morning - talk about coming out of The Zone real quick!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Maybe some of the sound techs can weigh in here but I noticed that James was overloading the main outputs very easily when using the effects. Sounds like a nightmare to monitor. Would you simply ensure that the limiter is put in place after the mixer prior to processing?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM

the cdj1000s are dope ive used them in clubs and at partys for the last 7 years with no hitches and i own cdj800s they are great i really love the djm500 mixer its the best mixer for all around house mixing that is not a rotary the interface is great but you cant get me to spend a mint on one i bought a used behringer djx750 for 50 bucks and its just like the 500 i mean the outputs are kinda sketchy but with big speakers it works fine

the 600 was a nice mixer kinda dirty sounding and i like the 800 its ok they are everywhere right now

the best club mixer ive used was a the vestax pmc50a it had a good sound and was really the most flexible for club installs

ive used pioneer products for the last ten or more years and they are fun and easy to use but my gripe is that djs wont fucking use anything else comon dammit grow some balls all you need is a booth out good monitors and per channel 3 way eq and trim as long as that is there whats the problem???

just annoys me when djs get to the club and are like whats that!!!(the urei 1605) and want a crappy mixer that sounds shit when pushed the urei doesnt btw.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
the cdj1000s are dope ive used them in clubs and at partys for the last 7 years with no hitches and i own cdj800s they are great i really love the djm500 mixer its the best mixer for all around house mixing that is not a rotary the interface is great but you cant get me to spend a mint on one i bought a used behringer djx750 for 50 bucks and its just like the 500 i mean the outputs are kinda sketchy but with big speakers it works fine

the 600 was a nice mixer kinda dirty sounding and i like the 800 its ok they are everywhere right now

the best club mixer ive used was a the vestax pmc50a it had a good sound and was really the most flexible for club installs

ive used pioneer products for the last ten or more years and they are fun and easy to use but my gripe is that djs wont fucking use anything else comon dammit grow some balls all you need is a booth out good monitors and per channel 3 way eq and trim as long as that is there whats the problem???

just annoys me when djs get to the club and are like whats that!!!(the urei 1605) and want a crappy mixer that sounds shit when pushed the urei doesnt btw.
hmmmm....i dont know if that is sarcasm or not
if it isnt,im glad i dont have your ears
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM

im not talking about sound quality im talking about interface plus if youve ever watched any of the second wave wave of chicago jocks worka 500 back in the day you would know what i mean

for strait up sound quality id say ecler or rane

peas

ive used a pair of 2000s cdjs recently and i liked them but cant understand why they are so light the 1000s are heavier and i dont like things that dont have weight
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM

and if i had my way id bring my rotary to every gig i did but most club owners are like what the fuck is that

ill check out that 900 soon im sure many jocks around here will sell the 800 to go one number higher like sheep
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:

sounds like something a pioneer jockey would say
Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 AM

i do know the shortcomings and capabilities of the 500
even though i didnt grow up in chicago
ergonomic is one thing
but,shit sound is shit sound,you said its the best all round house mixer
i can imagine some young dj reading that and go straight out and buy one of those pos
everyones entitled to their opinion though
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

at this point if some young noob goes out and gets a pioneer mixer cause of what i said its a miracle cause everywhere else pushes pioneer and if i didnt say it someone else would all im sayin is thats what jocks are used to i dont own a pioneer mixer i own a rane 57,a peavey rotomix,behringer 750,and 3 custom rotary mixers including a passive mixer i do know what good sound is im just sayin that pioneer gave the industry the common place mixer with 3 way eq etc before that it wasent expected and im not sayin thats a good thing i grew up on mixers wit no eq and if everyone else these days that we wopuld have better djs the ppl on this board that know me know i come corect wit spound i own a fully horn loaded 3 way soundsystem and its all analog

peas

i know that the 500 sounds just fine the trouble is the eqs are easily over driven and most jocks ride the shit out of it

Last edited by Fred Bissnette : 02-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM

i bought my 500 back in 98 for $729 at Guitar Center Brand New, and it was considered the standard mixer back then for the vinyl or cd dj and the integrated effects were the new bells on a mixer back then, but what most of them didnt know was the quality of the output and the effect processor would drive a system insane. I remember when Bab Boy Bill and the Mixconnection crew had a 500 setup for Bill to play on every show, and it set off a trend for dj's to build on. I used to live in Chi, and back then almost every cat i knew had a 500 or a pmc05 scratch mixer.

Now a Pioneer djm 800 is twice the cost of a 500, and i owned an 800 from its inception in 2006, but it was too colorful and was deemed very very popular and expensive at the time and still is today. Any idea how much this 900 is going for?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM

In Germany they go for 1900 Euro (2600 US Dollar)

Pioneer must be insane!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
lol you sound like the lawyer from jurassic park "is it heavy? ok, then it's expensive put it down"

I hear you Fred, you do pick one of them up and wonder wtf, I don't feel the $1800, but just remember, it's the technology you're paying for. But I do agree, something heavy feels like it has more value.

Quote:
im not talking about sound quality im talking about interface plus if youve ever watched any of the second wave wave of chicago jocks worka 500 back in the day you would know what i mean

for strait up sound quality id say ecler or rane

peas

ive used a pair of 2000s cdjs recently and i liked them but cant understand why they are so light the 1000s are heavier and i dont like things that dont have weight
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I think this should at least sound better, it would seem as if they are improving on some of the shortcomings in the 800..

I dont know.. it just seems like all I ever need is a ALPS pot rotary.. 1620, 2016

I dont care what kind it is, I can blend mix and make it smooth with one proper volume knob..

the more lights it has.. the more flashy shit.. it just irritates me that the further we go, the less it seems to be about the music.

2000 is mint. very good deck, upgradeable, good feature set. I like it, hella expensive for what it is, but hey, supply and demand.. I think Pioneer could make an outstanding mixer.. is the 900 that mixer, I will test one out and see, but would never pay the money they ask for it.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Don't really care for their mixers, but the CDJ2000's are some of the best tech I think at least, Pioneer has put out. HID control with Serato is flawless. In one night seamlessly switched between cd's, Serato, USB stick, all night, no glitches. Interface is beautiful. You should check your firmware, make sure its current... They had some glitches in earlier versions.

actually the new firmware has more bugs than before.
the 2000's work fine unless you are playing digital files that
have been analyzed with the accompaning Rekordbox software
- which is Pioneers big selling point behind these CDJs.
after analyzing your tracks there is a high instance of crashing.
happened to me the other night in the middle of a track with a
packed dancefloor - instant silence! never had anything like that
happen before with the 1000's and I've owned 1000's since they first
came out in 2001.
so if your using serato or just playing regular WAV/MP3 files its fine,
just beware when using pioneers joke of a software music mgmt system.

also, many people have been experiencing issues with the master tempo.
when on, it can make the song seems to slow down and speed up in a slight surging manner, very annoying if your trying to match beats and mix. although i'm not sure if anyone on this site is new school enough to match
beats (LOL )
again, not everyone has problems with the 2000's but its safe to say that
virtually NO ONE had problems with the 1000s
Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I have a friend who is a rep for Pioneer.. I'll point him out to this thread, maybe he can help you figure out the issues you are having?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM

one alps pot

yes

i made one of those passive mixers and i can say with 100% confidence its a hundred times cleaner than any pioneer mixer
Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM

i just watched this video

so i see no one needs to learn to beatmix or scratch anymore i mean it took me years to learn how to transform with a crossfader and do rhythmic cuts now all some kid witha fat wallet has to do is buy a lappy two cdjs and this wizard of oz mixer and they are grandmaster dj cheesburger strait up

it does not seem fair at all

i feel even more lost in a sea of electro influenced coked up fan/enthusiast psuedo dj guys with the latest top 100 from beatport that wanna be red bull academy alumni jesus h christmas trees!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:05 PM

but a dj's talent is directionally proportionate to the amount of flashy gear he has!

Last edited by wheresmejumper : 02-26-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Never been a fan of Pioneer mixers (although I'm forced to play on them all the time), but have to commend them on their latest offering recently introduced, the DJM-900nexus because it appears that they have FINALLY decided to incorporate TRUE KILLS options on the EQ channels. The EQ section on all their other models have always been one of my biggest gripes because not only do they sound horrible, but the never cut to zero output when turned all the way down which makes many bassline blends sound bad.

Still, I'd never even consider purchasing a Pioneer mixer, but considering the fact so many others do, hopefully it will become as popular as the DJM-800/600/500 out in the field if this truly is an improvement.

Take a look at the -∞ symbol under each EQ band and the EQ curve option switch located below booth monitor control that allows user to switch between regular "EQ" mode that just attenuates to -26dB and "isolator" mode that in theory provides true cut to zero filtering.

Maybe layering tracks for long periods of time without fighting basslines will now be possible. Just have to wait and see how it really sounds though.

Last edited by Black Science : 03-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.