Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM

i was in Lisbon once, but that was back in 1983.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM

That is nice, PT is a nice play to live...

Cheers
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM

I also liked the new version although for every one I sold, I changed the knobs to the nubbed ones.[/quote]

This asnīt nothing to do with the topic. Do U sell rane 2016 mixers ? Do u have the older knobs for both MP and XP units ?

Cheers
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM

pbellsound

I also liked the new version although for every one I sold, I changed the knobs to the nubbed ones.[/quote]

This asnīt nothing to do with the topic. Do U sell rane 2016 mixers ? Do u have the older knobs for both MP and XP units ?

Cheers
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 PM

This is probably a dumb question. Now that the Rane 2016a and 2016s use alps blue velvet pots instead of the alps black beauty pots, are they still good buys? I do not have experience with the blue velvet pots. I love the feel of the pots on the original Urei mixer and Bozak mixers.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:52 PM

some like the darker sound of the bb pots the bv pots are a touch more colorful in sonic texture but still better than 90% of the faders on standard mixers.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 AM

Interesting comment. I wondering if the bv are of lower quality compared to the bb and as a result, I would have to replace them in the future.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 PM

BB are old style metal bar running over a wire, the BV are newer style coductive plastic bar running over plastic.

My SoundCloud

Last edited by John-Martin : 07-25-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Late Scott Clubman 5 and me were testing Both models at el Dorado years ago,

We agree that the latest versions sound better for the Digital domain, (Mp3, new music,)

It sounds much better in his Sound System,
Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Hi, thanks everyone for your answers.

In the past week I have been in some mental funk and I am now considering getting the Xone 92R. Those of you that have heard both the MP 2016 and XONE 92R. Which one sounds better? I also possibly getting a DJM-800 with rotary control faders. I have not been playing in clubs for the past 5 years, so I am sort of out of touch these days. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 AM

I actually prefer the sound of the 92r over the Rane. The bass doesn't sound as large on the Xone but the mids and the highs sound clearer.

My SoundCloud
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 AM

Is the MP 2016 warmer and more full sounding than the Xone mixer?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Don't get the Pioneer.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georget
Is the MP 2016 warmer and more full sounding than the Xone mixer?

Yes. I only play house, progressive to deep, and I prefer the sound of the Xone. If you're playing disco and older house the Rane is probably the way to go.

My SoundCloud
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM

For some reason I just don't consider the Xone:92r to be a proper rotary mixer... It's just completely wrong imho...

The Xone:92 is a cool mixer and all, but it's supposed to have linear faders and not knobs as I see it.

There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I think I would try to get some hands on experience with that mixer before buying it if that's what you really want.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 PM

I think that the mental block is due to the crossfader placement. There are many mixers that look bad with knobs (i.e., empath, pioneer DJM-800, etc). The crossfader is totally in the way. Since i am not planning on using the crossfader when mixing house, I will disable it and move it to one side as to avoid it interfering with my hands.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 AM

The Xone is a completely different beast than the Rane, you def should try it out if you can. I've owned a 92r for a few years and own a 2016S for a month or so. A quick run down:

2016: Classic rotary layout, easy to figure out, the fader curve can take some getting used to (it's low till about 12 o'clock then it comes screaming in, 8(3 o'clock) is unity past that is gain above what the inut gain knob is set at which is actually kinda helpful conisdering the per channel meters are a simple off-green-red LED. Sounds better with deep house, classic house and disco.

Xone: Extremely clear mids and highs lows aren't emphasized (some have said 'clinical', I'd say that's fair), some have complained about the 4 band EQ (it's a bit weird the highs are full cut shelving, mid-hi and mid-low are -30 EQ, low is a full cut shelving filter which halfway through only cuts volume after that is also changes the cutoff point.), The filters are actually pretty great, you can use them as an effect and you can use them to three deck mix (use the channel EQs to bring down a certain part of the main track then use the filters to only let certain sounds into the mix. The knob spacing on the Xone hasn't been an issue for me and the closeness is actually kinda helpful when mixing in or out a track and a loop on another channel though if you have bigger fingers that will be an issue. The metering is great, I love the meters and you're never having to guess about it like on the Rane.

My SoundCloud
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks John, do you know the make and model of the stock channel volume pots in the Xone 92r?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks John, do you know the make and model of the stock channel volume pots in the Xone 92r?

Sorry, I don't. I know there's a tutorial on switching the original white panel out with the new gray panel somewhere on the internet, maybe you could glean something from that tutorial.

My SoundCloud
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
[quote=John-Martin] Agree... I have a Xone and is the same kind of comment i probably do ..
Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 PM

This is what they use in the fader version... Maybe they use the same brand for the rotary version?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM

So I am going with the Rane MP 2016S version with EQs and Xfader. It is more expensive than the Xone 92R, which I have heard great things about from many folks. Even though the Xone mixer may sound better and is a lot cheaper than the Rane, I think that I will be happier with Rane for th following reasons:

1) US made. How many products are US made these days? Rane is a small company and I love small companies that do great things. Customer service is excellent and I just love the company.

2) I prefer the darker, fuller, warmer sound. The one thing I love about my Bozak is that clean, thick, full and heavy sound. There is nothing like it. Maybe the 2016 has some of that. That sound.

3) The 2016 is just a sexy beast. Those knobs with aluminum caps are the best looking.

4) Alps pots. Although they are the bv pots, they should not be difficult to replace in case I wear them out. Rane also covers the pots in the warranty, which is great.

I prefer the 4 band EQ and also wanted the filter FXs, which on the Xone mixers, it is the absolute best.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So I am going with the Rane MP 2016S version with EQs and Xfader. It is more expensive than the Xone 92R, which I have heard great things about from many folks. Even though the Xone mixer may sound better and is a lot cheaper than the Rane, I think that I will be happier with Rane for th following reasons:

1) US made. How many products are US made these days? Rane is a small company and I love small companies that do great things. Customer service is excellent and I just love the company.

2) I prefer the darker, fuller, warmer sound. The one thing I love about my Bozak is that clean, thick, full and heavy sound. There is nothing like it. Maybe the 2016 has some of that. That sound.

3) The 2016 is just a sexy beast. Those knobs with aluminum caps are the best looking.

4) Alps pots. Although they are the bv pots, they should not be difficult to replace in case I wear them out. Rane also covers the pots in the warranty, which is great.

I prefer the 4 band EQ and also wanted the filter FXs, which on the Xone mixers, it is the absolute best.

You'll like the Rane. It's a great mixer. Have you found someone who has them in stock? Audiolines told me they were out.

My SoundCloud
Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Many stores do not carry the Rane due to the high price. The do however take the orders in and special ordering them directly from Rane.