Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 08:55 AM

Question Boz-Urei-A&H test. Help!

Hi,

I'm one of those few freaks from Europe (Italy) with the passion for good mixers. I have 3 Bozaks 2 Ureis, 1 A&H v6 and a few other... Unfortunatly when I'm djing around 90% of the European clubs have horrible systems with Pioneer or Xone:62, wich I enjoy for versatility and efx but i hate for sound quality.
Anyway... The reason why I'm writing here is that I like to test my mixer together to judge myself wich is the real difference between them.
The problem is that I'm using them in my studio, and I can't put a "Club Sound System" in my studio... I have a custom console where I have the space to mount a Bozak, a Urei and a V6 at the same time but i need to know from you:
Wich speakers/amps shall i use for a small room? how do you suggest to plug them all together? Shall i use a kind of "patchbay" or what?

Thanks for your help.

Respect
Old 10-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Re: Boz-Urei-A&H test. Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Magic Yo-Yo
Hi,

I'm one of those few freaks from Europe (Italy) with the passion for good mixers. I have 3 Bozaks 2 Ureis, 1 A&H v6 and a few other... Unfortunatly when I'm djing around 90% of the European clubs have horrible systems with Pioneer or Xone:62, wich I enjoy for versatility and efx but i hate for sound quality.
Anyway... The reason why I'm writing here is that I like to test my mixer together to judge myself wich is the real difference between them.
The problem is that I'm using them in my studio, and I can't put a "Club Sound System" in my studio... I have a custom console where I have the space to mount a Bozak, a Urei and a V6 at the same time but i need to know from you:
Wich speakers/amps shall i use for a small room? how do you suggest to plug them all together? Shall i use a kind of "patchbay" or what?

Thanks for your help.

Respect
What I would do and what I have done, is use two very good speakers that you are familiar with and a good amp! Then you just hook each mixer up one at a time and play the same recordings and listen to each mixer. You will hear distinct differences in tonality, drive, etc, between each mixer!

No patch bays, no EQ, just one mixer at a time hooked up to your amp and speakers!

This will show you whats what!

You use good recordings and you use the same tracks through all three mixers. When you are done and you know what it is you are going to find out, please post your results so we can all read the results!

Old 10-23-2003, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: Boz-Urei-A&H test. Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
What I would do and what I have done, is use two very good speakers that you are familiar with and a good amp! Then you just hook each mixer up one at a time and play the same recordings and listen to each mixer. You will hear distinct differences in tonality, drive, etc, between each mixer!

And here comes my problem... until today the speakers I am familiar with for DJing in my studio are a pair of RCF Art200A.
Don't kill me for this!
I tried different speakers but i hated them all, so I keep using those RCF even if I'm sure I can find a much better solution.
My studio is divided in 2 sides, the DJ and the producer, on the producer side I'm using Genelec 1030 with the sub 7072A... and I love the sound I get from it, but I don't like to hear my mixers playing from that setup.
What do you suggest for a good combination of 2 speakers/amplifier for my setup?
That's an area I'm not expert at all.

Quote:
No patch bays, no EQ, just one mixer at a time hooked up to your amp and speakers!

I see... but i wanted to find a faster way, to test between one and another very quick, maybe an amplifier with more than 1 input?

Quote:
You use good recordings and you use the same tracks through all three mixers. When you are done and you know what it is you are going to find out,

Sure, I'll do that with a pair of Grado DJ200 and lot's of good different recordings.

Thanks Scotty!
Old 10-23-2003, 02:40 PM

RCF is fine!

As long as you know the speakers sound, you use these and you will notice differences between all 3 mixers! This is fine. RCF will work fine.

The reason I say no patch bays, or EQ,s etc, is the idea is to hear each mixer for what it is. Everytime you have something in between the mixer and the amp, there is a slight loss or sonic change. So, the way to hear the most honest results is to plug each mixer directly into the amp one at a time. And you will hear each mixers sonic flaws and merits.

It may take a few extra minutes to do it this way, but its the right way to do it.

When you have reached your decisions about how each mixer sounds, and what you think is the best, please post the results, enquiring minds wanna know!

Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 AM

Another guy who "forgot" to post his results...

:S
Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 AM

Re: Boz-Urei-A&H test. Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Magic Yo-Yo
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Respect

if you have some mixers, cartridges and some same records
you can check mixers character
decide which mixer to be "main" or if you have line mixer no problem
and hook up a turntable to each mixers
if you use dj mixer for main, you can mix them too.
i suggest to use bozak mixer for main.

not best way but this way you can check easily
and sorry if i misunderstood your questions.

peace

T
Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 AM

Rotarymadness

This thread was digged up... it's from 2003 (at least it's what the post time says). I was just being ironic about the fact he never posted the results, as many others that claim they'll do the same test "shortly".
Old 12-13-2005, 08:28 PM

Re: Rotarymadness

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozaureik
This thread was digged up... it's from 2003 (at least it's what the post time says). I was just being ironic about the fact he never posted the results, as many others that claim they'll do the same test "shortly".

yeah
i know, i've been here from 2001.
it's very popular topic and never end.
they have to check themselves.
if there are 20 people, 20 facts are there.

btw did you receive the mod pots?

peace
T
Old 12-14-2005, 08:24 PM

Re: Re: Rotarymadness

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotarymadness
btw did you receive the mod pots?

peace
T

was that question to me?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:57 PM

T --
Do you have mod pots to sell? Audio Taper/10Kx2?

email me if you are selling...

louped.garou@gmail.com

peace -- and everyone have a nice holiday

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 12-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by louped garou
T --
Do you have mod pots to sell? Audio Taper/10Kx2?

email me if you are selling...

louped.garou@gmail.com

peace -- and everyone have a nice holiday

no i only have some single AB modpot 50k series 72

did you ask Tektronix?

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/tekpots.html

i hope they can help you.

peace
taisei
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 PM

thanks -- i will check...

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave