Wave Music Home
ReleasesCommunityYour OrderWave Music
ArtistsEventsDJ MixesShop

Wave Music Home


Home
About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links




Search


Adv. Search



Subscribe


Email






Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
R_Dub R_Dub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 126
Urei 1620 LE - question about pots

I'm getting ready to sell my 1620LE and have noticed that the
pots have different "tightnesses". although they are all smooth and
work flawlessly, some are tighter and a couple have less resistance. it really isn't an issue to me, i never even notice it when
mixing but is there something i can do myself to make them more
uniformly tight before i put it up for sale. is this common?
what would cause this, just using a couple of the channels more than the others? again there is no sound difference, and they all turn nice and smooth, just a few seem to have different tightnesses.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
bossa nolyx bossa nolyx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Dub
...
what would cause this, just using a couple of the channels more than the others? ...
Right. And this is normal on old devices using RK27. You can't do anything else then buy new ones.

Have a bit better experiences with the old RK40 but you can't get them with log taper any more. Only linear taper is possible.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Disko Ole Disko Ole is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ~Oslo, Norway
Posts: 208
When I bought my Rane 2016, it was the same. The pots were all working smoothly, but the tightness differed from knob to knob. A bit irritating at first, but no biggie for me really... 2016s also have the same Alps RK27 pots :-)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Richi Richi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 580
This can happen if the screws holding them to the case are too tight.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 AM
vinyl_junkie vinyl_junkie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South East Kent, UK
Posts: 1,837
I brought my LE brand new and it was like that from new, some pots were tighter than others.
__________________
--The future scares me, any chance of a lift back to the past any one?--
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
shihp001 shihp001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
I brought my LE brand new and it was like that from new, some pots were tighter than others.

Mine too!
Urei mixers I bought from Mario all channels has the same tightness. I guess it's the quality control issue!?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 AM
bossa nolyx bossa nolyx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 211
It's just a wear issue

The RK27 is often used in hifi products. There you mostly have only one volume control and you can't compare different worn pots. So it's not striking
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
charles0322 charles0322 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 697
Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Dub
I'm getting ready to sell my 1620LE and have noticed that the
pots have different "tightnesses". although they are all smooth and
work flawlessly, some are tighter and a couple have less resistance. it really isn't an issue to me, i never even notice it when
mixing but is there something i can do myself to make them more
uniformly tight before i put it up for sale. is this common?
what would cause this, just using a couple of the channels more than the others? again there is no sound difference, and they all turn nice and smooth, just a few seem to have different tightnesses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shihp001
Mine too!
Urei mixers I bought from Mario all channels has the same tightness. I guess it's the quality control issue!?

its teflon on teflon, with use they become looser.. my channels that I use the most are looser feeling. The 5,6th channels are tighter.

if you mix it up and keep wearing in each pot they will be consistent. this is not a potentiometer quality issue.

whether there is a trick to getting them back to b4 their break-in period without buying new ALPS pots, I dont know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
man_traic man_traic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihp001
Mine too!
Urei mixers I bought from Mario all channels has the same tightness. I guess it's the quality control issue!?

this.......
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.0.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2006 Wave Music


© Wave Entertainment Group, Inc.