Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 05:52 PM

mixer

I agree but it should sound good but we have to see.
Well the tubes should warm up this digital anemic sounding music that we all love plus how many other of these knob mixers were supposed to out do these classic mixers and havent come close so will see once we get to hear it.
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 09-07-2002, 03:16 AM

Xone V6

Does anyone know how this thing sounds? has anyone heard it? Before I go out and spend 4 grand Id like a little info first. Its the first generation of a brand new unit so I cant say one way or the other. The Rane and Vestax were supposed to blow The OLD urei,s and ANCIENT Bozaks away. THEY DID NOT. The 1 thing I really do know is this thing is outrageously expensive! So Ill wait and see what everyone else has to say and then get to listen to it but Im not just going out and giving away this kind of money!!
Old 09-07-2002, 07:11 AM

Xone V6 tube preamp/rotary DJ mixer

I'm not for rotary mania at any cost.
I run my Bozak page just to understand the
present through the past.
This Xzone V6 seems solid and professional but I think
that it can't sound like an old Bozak or Urei.
I mean, it's normal!

This V6 looks a little bit forced on vintage-style only to sell it.
I don't know if the tube preamp can improve this digital 16 bit invasion on the DJ booth around the world...

Anyway that's interesting to understand more about
the market of this type of equipment where the quality
makes the difference.

Let me say that our ears are the best way to decide.
I've heard other Allen&Heat products in the past but I
don't like the sound and the layout design.

Peace!
- Mick
Old 09-09-2002, 09:44 AM

Mixers

How about the steve dash rotary mixer?anyone know anything?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:44 AM

Mixers

How about the steve dash rotary mixer?anyone know anything?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:37 AM

A&H V6

...I have to say, although I read this board with interest, and defer to those who are clearly better qualified to talk about such matters.. I find the vintage Urei/Bozak snobbery here hilarious!!

Many companies out there make great new gear. Allen & Heath have said themselves that they've spared no expense on this project; they'll ensure every component is the best of what is available, and that the hefty price tag will almost certainly reflect this, (as far as I'm aware, nobody yet knows what this will be).

...and yet people who haven't even laid eyes on it (in the flesh, as it were), let alone heard it, speculate that it can't possibly sound as good as their Urei/Bozak...

you've gotta admit guys, this is getting a little silly!!
Old 09-11-2002, 07:01 PM

No snobbery just wisdom

Im am not being a snob. But in the past units have been brought to market that were in fact supposed to surpass the Urei,s and Bozak,s. Like the Rane and vestax. They sure as hell do not sound anywhere near as good as the urei and bozak. Now we have yet another piece. The V6! Before I invest 4000 DOLLARS US, I want to hear it and BE SURE I LOVE IT! In the past I purchased things to replace my older but high quality gear and have been dissapointed. Not again this wont happen. If the A&H is that good then itll be around for 6 months of evaluation. Then I can make a wise decision. At $4500 list price I dont want to buy it and have it sit on a shelf. Ill tell you this I have heard devices made from the best components you can get that I didnt care for sonically. I kinda like the look of the V6 but I want to be sure its reliable and sounds great, not just OK, GREAT! This is the first generation of something that has never been in the market before, just like cars its best to wait a little bit. I in no way am trying to say that this wont be the KING of mixers, rather I just want to be sure. And if it proves to to be the KINg I will have it in the Eldorado for next summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Steve Dash

I spoke with Steve Dash last week regarding his DJ mixer. The retail price will be around $3000. The sound is channeled through TLO84 ICs which are the same $0.20 chips that are used in the UREI, Rane and Vestax mixers. He said that he uses transistors in the circuit as well which should give it a more solid and punchy sound. He said Sasha and Digweed love the mixer as they have used it at the new ARC club in NY where Body & SOUL once was. I don't think this says too much about the quality, but it will be available within the next few months for people to test.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 AM

steve dash

i called phazon about that mixer they wanted $5000. i can't see paying $5000 for that.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:54 PM

yikes!

wow.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:25 PM

the Phazon mixer

I have heard this piece a couple of times. I wasnt impressed. Im looking forward to hearing the A&H xone V6.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:16 AM

phazon mixer

i can't say names but every dj hated it and they said it broke down a lot.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:59 PM

true

I has heard the 3700 in the club they took it too, and it DID crap out during the evening. This should not still be happening but that it is............ $3000?
Old 09-24-2002, 10:19 PM

have you heard

Have you guys heard the Gemini Scratch Master? I heard it kicks ass.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:50 AM

mixer

don't hurt yourself by buying a gemeni
Old 10-02-2002, 10:26 AM

Xone V6 price

I have heard that the price of the xone 5 is 3700 british pounds, the price of the vestax R-1 is at 2000 british pounds - allthough it seems to be possible to get on R-1 at 2500 $$ (or even at 2000 §§)- what is your opinion?
After all I want a rotary just because I´m collecting NY DJ´s (Larry´s stuff and JR´s {sorry}) and I want to have that feeling at home - so my question is: is the R-1 a good buy? Or should I go for a rane or urei? Or even wait if the price of the xone sinks? Is a Vestax 46 MK II acceptable for home-use?

I know this is a very silly question - if you have the chance to try all of these out, you know what you like und you know what you want, but I simply don´t have the chance, there is no market for rotary´s in europe (mostly ecler and pioneer are bought) and I have no chance to test;
thanx in advance for your advice
Old 10-02-2002, 03:26 PM

rotarys

i have got a vestax pmc 46 mk2,to be honest i dont really care for them at all,i'm not an expert but the quality seems to be poor it got dust under the vu metres 6 months after i got it,not impressed.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:22 PM

rotarys

where did these "rotary mixers" started anyway??,in europe we dont see that much of it (until now,anyway)
Old 10-03-2002, 06:54 PM

DJ MIXER with DJ MIC LOOP

I have a Gemini DJ PS-727 DJ MIXER. I have a question. The Gemini DJ PS-727 DJ MIXER that I have has a DJ MIC LOOP with an RCA FEMALE input and output jack one labelled as input and one labelled as output. I would like to know is it possible to connect a CD PLAYER to the input of this DJ MIC LOOP input and leave the output of the DJ MIC LOOP alone. The DJ MIC LOOP has RCA FEMALE jacks. I do not use the DJ MICROPHONE jack on the mixer because the circuit that is for the microphone is shorted and I want to use the DJ MIC LOOP input for connection of some of the line level devices that I have.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:20 AM

mixers

i say the bozak has the best sound but not many imputs. the rk1 and x zone i don't know. i love the urei. the rane is good but lacks warnth. if i were you i would find a urei or get a rane and loop a tube processor to it.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:39 PM

balancing inputs on vintage rotary mixers

i am looking to buy a bozak and have one question. do they have gain/ trim controls and if not how do you sort out the input levels to make sure they are level? i play a wide range of musical styles on different formats (7", 12", lps, cds)and would like to know how the likes of levan balanced their inputs using a mixer with no master/ pfl leds?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:08 PM

trim pots and source levels

They did not have trim pots you learned your records back then not only where the breaks were but how hot or low pressed they were as well. You never go to 10 so you have room for the lower recorded recorded albums the other reason as well is clarity reasons you will over drive your input when you go past 8 unless its a really low recorded album / 45.
so this is how it was done back then djs were that aware back then so you did`nt really here problems as far as level is concerned unless they wanted to come in at a lower level so there really is no reason for additional trim pots plus you loose signal thru another pot which is very bad because you send a deteriorated signal to your rack that can not be made up in your system processing no matter what these sound company say or manufacturers tell you about the lastest digital whatever you put shit in you get shit out thats how audio works.
Look at all these mixers with there additional trim pots all these effect sends pre and post all these eqs per chanel all these capabilitys and they sound horrible and they havent been able to out perform 20-30 year old technology.
Now everybody wants bozaks and urei mixers because people want clarity this is why these high priced rotary mixer are so much in demand in the market place. Now with the Bozak and the Urei the reasons that they didnt add additional trim pots and eq for each chanel which they very well could have back then but this wasent done because you degraded your signal which they new would happen if they did design it like this the more features added in line the more signal loss you have and the Bozak was a home hifi preamp as well as a dj mixer this is why it sounds so good.
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 01-15-2003, 03:49 AM

Bozak Repair

I just bought a Bozak and would like to get it overhauled. I live on an island and was wondering if anybody has an idea as to where I could send it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 10:15 AM

Talk to Mario

The guy you want to have work on your mixer is Mario, he has done my mixer and many others. He can make your mixer like it was new and use bozak original parts. He can also do things like add more auxes and a booth output. He does great work. E-mail him at djmariog@aol.com

Allen
Old 01-17-2003, 04:46 PM

Bozak

Thank you very much for the info. I will be in touch with him shortly.