Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Sankey's NYC

sound was so much better with GSA d36.. club is now smaller than before.. basically they put the booth on the dancefloor and vip area where the old booth was..

incubus or no incubus, 2 stacks wont cut it unless youre in the booth?

system downstairs wasnt great either, four larger stacks than what was there before.. the basement system they had at d36 was smaller and blew it away..

video to follow..

Output is the real deal and has the best system in the NYC area
Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 PM

incubus or no incubus, 2 stacks wont cut it unless youre in the booth?

What does this mean?

I was involved with time and phase alignment of the Incubus system on the main floor. Challenging as this rig is really designed for a much much larger room, so every tiny detail is quite glaring.

Tuning was done during construction, and I hope to get back out there soon now that the construction mess is all cleaned up.

Do you have any technical faults with the main rig, or just the comparison?

F
Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

www.facebook.com/nathanshort

Last edited by NathanShort : 11-03-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Not to diss any system, but why wouldnt they just keep the GSA system?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikdc
Not to diss any system, but why wouldnt they just keep the GSA system?

its the question I keep asking myself over and over..

no disrespect Nathan, I know you did the best you could, but there were no fills to make you immersed in the sound.. the sound was coming from the front and as you walked around the room there were clear spots where there was more bass.. its not the same as what Gary did.. you were surrounded, utterly surrounded, maybe it was overkill though, but and a big but, it was the most impressive I have experienced to date. digital or analogue. its why Pioneer made their choice imo.

they put in flashy lights and flashy speakers that def have the power but it feels like a live p/a style rig where you hear the sound from the front, not a superclub.. I did hear later that they were having problems with the sound and that not all the speakers were working??
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM

I can verify that the main Incubus system I was flown in to tech and tune was fully operational. This includes the DJ monitors.

The rest of the club was being installed after I left.

There is a plan to add some rear fills on the dancefloor.

IMHO the club is Tiny. Thats a monstrous tank of a system to squeeze into a little room like that. I have half those subs and same tops in a much much larger room in chicago. That system will never hit half power in NYC. Mine in Chicago does hit about half power on the most busy nights. It will do 117db with no problem, so we make quite sure to not let it get that crazy.

F

Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanShort
I can verify that the main Incubus system I was flown in to tech and tune was fully operational. This includes the DJ monitors.

The rest of the club was being installed after I left.

There is a plan to add some rear fills on the dancefloor.

IMHO the club is Tiny. Thats a monstrous tank of a system to squeeze into a little room like that. I have half those subs and same tops in a much much larger room in chicago. That system will never hit half power in NYC. Mine in Chicago does hit about half power on the most busy nights. It will do 117db with no problem, so we make quite sure to not let it get that crazy.

but why two monstrous stacks with a smaller club than d36.. d36 albeit had four crazy huge stacks and wasnt that much bigger. I think they could have gone smaller with a four point Void, with less stature (perhaps less status) but the booth at Sankey's was very clean sound, Im guessing that was an airmotion system? Incubus was clean, was playing at half volume or less, peaks were very powerful at times, but 4 point stacks or at least fills is necessary.. sound needs to be all around you..

again.. I heard today that some of the speakers werent working but not sure what or where, maybe they are talking about the fills to come.

they needed you in the basement, you could have really helped down there..
Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 PM

At the end of the day , the owner has owned that rig for a while, It is literally serial numbers 1-4 on the subs and 1-2 on the tops. As anyone knows construction and clubs and politics change venues and timelines. This is the venue that worked and this was the rig he loved. So we did everything we could to make it great. I am sure as the opening roadbumps get smoothed out everything will fall into place, their construction schedule was absolutely nuts, but they pulled it off with a ton of hard work. The owners and team there are completely committed to top tier work and Everyone will pull together to refine this.

Gary's system may have been better, but at 33 I am happy to be on my way to that mans level with 20+ years experience on me and a master of his craft. For now when its not my perfect layout and every amp I want, I make magic happen with whatever I'm given opportunity to do. Here in Chicago I even rebuild Avalon and Dynacord rigs for clients. I'm a transducer Junkie. Happy and proud to be bringing new things to market when I can.

F

Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
At the end of the day , the owner has owned that rig for a while, It is literally serial numbers 1-4 on the subs and 1-2 on the tops. As anyone knows construction and clubs and politics change venues and timelines. This is the venue that worked and this was the rig he loved. So we did everything we could to make it great. I am sure as the opening roadbumps get smoothed out everything will fall into place, their construction schedule was absolutely nuts, but they pulled it off with a ton of hard work. The owners and team there are completely committed to top tier work and Everyone will pull together to refine this.

Gary's system may have been better, but at 33 I am happy to be on my way to that mans level with 20+ years experience on me and a master of his craft. For now when its not my perfect layout and every amp I want, I make magic happen with whatever I'm given opportunity to do. Here in Chicago I even rebuild Avalon and Dynacord rigs for clients. I'm a transducer Junkie. Happy and proud to be bringing new things to market when I can.

Well said Nathan. So, I take it there are two subs per stack? Are there any Hyperfold midbass boxes employed? Just trying to visualize this beast.

I only heard Gary's system on opening night, and it sounded great to my ears, but almost certainly improved as drivers broke in and settings were adjusted. I'm sure the Void system, if not yet perfect, will be refined in time as well. Best wishes.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 PM

frankly it doesnt make sense to me for a company to take care of part of the sound..

The thought process behind that decision will affect everything about the club.. There should be an on hand tech with the ability to oversee the weekly operations of the club for sound in all areas.. The entire install for sound.. a little bit here and there, a guy from here or there that needs to fly somewhere to tune it.. it makes 0 sense. it didnt even make that much sense for GSA to have to fly in to take care of d36 and tune it, but at least he was the one who built it.. I even found it weird he didnt take care of the basement.. but the basement had thunderous sound and was consistent wiith upstairs.

This is a new club and Im sure it will get better,, but the thought process behind a part time tech will lead to a part time club.

The Void rig is nice, sounds great, but its not like the clubs I know where youre surrounded with sound.. if the system is too big for the room why is it there?? why is it half a system playing at half volume..??

its so small.. cant believe they found a way to make it smaller than d36 and put in a bunch of flashy lights.. makes my job way easier for video but feels like Im on the Vegas strip instead of a real NYC nightclub..

was thought put into treatment as in Output? doubt it.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Lets be real about this and try and keep the negativity down. Sankeys is a brand. They want it to be different. They want the Manchester feel.

I was brought out to help tune the engine as one of the few guys on the planet besides Rog Mogale the designer who has built these rigs from the ground up. The drivers are very hard to get into the enclosures as all the horn loaded subs and lows are completely unique loadings. No copies of other boxes here.

Give it some time, surrounds are on their way, the scope is to make the brand happy and the patrons happy with something unique and different. This place flipped into Sankeys quickly , construction was a madhouse. It will continue its refinement like a race car team works on fine tuning a premium machine. Lots of good people working on making this a great entertainment venue for some real underground dj's.

My next stop is Japan in a month to set up another Incubus rig w/ Rog. I could not be more exited.

F

Old 11-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Im working for one of the owners sharing my video.. I do video in clubs.. Im talking as a club patron and am very passionate like you towards sound. I have been working in clubs for a long time.. Im not big on negativity.. Im only asking questions.. like why discard a four stack crazy system for a two stack system.. I have nothing to gain by stating my opinions.. in fact when stating my honest opinions it actually makes me come off as negative to some.. Im not worried about this, I have no allegiance to anyone or company.. I trust my ears like you.. you did the best with what you were given for opening. I have no doubt it will get better.. but its time to get real too.. there is competition and some very fine clubs in the world.. if you truly want to protect the brand get the sound right and the led's can wait

its my first time at any Sankey's.. but it all feels a bit phoned in.. like the cdj2000 box for the laptop stand.. I design booths and cannot believe that a club in todays game hasnt nailed the fact there is now a computer in the dj's rig..

Quote:
Lets be real about this and try and keep the negativity down. Sankeys is a brand. They want it to be different. They want the Manchester feel.

I was brought out to help tune the engine as one of the few guys on the planet besides Rog Mogale the designer who has built these rigs from the ground up. The drivers are very hard to get into the enclosures as all the horn loaded subs and lows are completely unique loadings. No copies of other boxes here.

Give it some time, surrounds are on their way, the scope is to make the brand happy and the patrons happy with something unique and different. This place flipped into Sankeys quickly , construction was a madhouse. It will continue its refinement like a race car team works on fine tuning a premium machine. Lots of good people working on making this a great entertainment venue for some real underground dj's.

My next stop is Japan in a month to set up another Incubus rig w/ Rog. I could not be more exited.

Last edited by charles0322 : 11-08-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Saw this interesting article..

figured it was a good addition to this thread

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/1...nyc-nightclub/
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM

I agree 100% and as the installer of the system and a veteran to many dance floors in NYC, I also believe in a 4 corner system. Air Motions were put in the following week and I am very happy with the results and the vibe you are talking about is there.

There is also changes being made this week to improve control and dynamics of the system as I put in some gear from Manley and Summit Audio.

Listen, anyone in this business knows that there is tweaking all the time, it is never done once and walk away.

Enjoy the week.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Cool Jason, very happy you guys were able to rectify the situation for the surrounds, I love the airmotions in the booth, very little fatigue and Im sure the place is kitted out to envelope you in sound, Ill be back as soon as possible to hear the place again.

Maybe you could walk us through what you want the Summit Audio gear to accomplish in your rig, I believe you had mentioned to me it was tube compressors..

If you want my advice for downstairs have your friend Angel Moraes look it over, he has some of the best ears in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ojeda
I agree 100% and as the installer of the system and a veteran to many dance floors in NYC, I also believe in a 4 corner system. Air Motions were put in the following week and I am very happy with the results and the vibe you are talking about is there.

There is also changes being made this week to improve control and dynamics of the system as I put in some gear from Manley and Summit Audio.

Listen, anyone in this business knows that there is tweaking all the time, it is never done once and walk away.

Enjoy the week.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Summit DCL-200. Almost magical tube compressor for nightclub use. Many on here have used to amazing results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
Cool Jason, very happy you guys were able to rectify the situation for the surrounds, I love the airmotions in the booth, very little fatigue and Im sure the place is kitted out to envelope you in sound, Ill be back as soon as possible to hear the place again.

Maybe you could walk us through what you want the Summit Audio gear to accomplish in your rig, I believe you had mentioned to me it was tube compressors..

If you want my advice for downstairs have your friend Angel Moraes look it over, he has some of the best ears in the game.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Like I told everyone else, I'll wait till everything is running and good before I comment on the system. I was a big fan of Garys work on D36 with Kenny and hope Sankeys sounds good. I saw some pictures, it's definitely an odd looking place now, not your average NYC venue. Nate fly's all over the place with his Void, he has a fun job too with those wonderful shows
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 AM

Would love to hear this system. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the clubbing black hole of Brisbane.

Interested to know why there isn't a single bass stack, as per the incubus system at Eden, Ibiza? Was DJ booth positioning the issue? Surely a single bass stack would have more even bass coverage than two bass stacks (as installed) or the much loved 4 corner style system (as per the GSA system).