Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Alpha ARS4100

Hey,
I know there was a thread on it awhile back, would really love to hear some reviews or feedback on the mixer if any of you guys have tried/bought it.

Whats the isolator and eq like?

Also heard a rumour that they might be bringing out a portable one( still no word on the Isonoe portable rotary)

Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM

Ars is making a portable one? is there any more info behind these rumors ?
it makes sense i guess, seems like portable is the future of rotary mixers...
anyway, if these rumors are real, it's very exiting...

I never tried the ars iso, but Prins Thomas uses it on his night in Oslo, he seems very happy playing with it and it sure sound good.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 AM

Alpha are also making a portable tabletop iso.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM

dopejams is selling 1 for 1800...
Old 09-15-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1979
Hey,
...would really love to hear some reviews or feedback on the mixer if any of you guys have tried/bought it....
Simply the best sounding mixer I've ever heard. Particularly the phono preamps.

The only mixer I've ever heard where an external phono preamp is not really necessary.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM

check this out from Alpha's facebook page. looks like a new model mixer, maybe a custom build for DJ Harvey...

Last edited by Pete54 : 07-02-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM

wow, would love to know what's inside
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Paul, I agree because it is laid out like a classic BOZAK/UREI with per channel balance controls like both used. It has the input selector holes plugged but the lettering is that of the UREI 1620. Maybe multiple inputs were being considered at the time. The tone controls are missing but still favors the older classics. Good question "what's inside"? I am not implying it is a copy or old mixer modified because Alpha does design projects but I have seen many custom face plates over the last 40 years installed on original mixers etc. I also would like to see the internals or chassis.

Last edited by Captainjr : 07-02-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM

agreed, although it looks like a Urei according to Alpha it is their Model 6200 and not a urei at all, the price is very expensive so it must be rigged with high end components....I would have thought they would have removed the balance sine the model 4100 doesn't have them, never liked them myself either
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM

I have seen the custom HBG and that went to a single overall balance control instead of the individual channel style. I guess they still wanted the performer to have the ability to balance the system on certain recordings. I would think any good company if you wanted to pay for it could build you a custom mixer from one of their originals.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM

I do find balance control to be useful occasionally. I agree to the just having one overall balance control for the most part.

I guess it would sound tiny better by removing it but does it really make that much of a difference?!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:03 AM

And still there isn't a single picture of the insides of an ARS unit anywhere on the web.
Anyone seen inside one, especially the mixer? Discrete or not? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM

According to the Alpha representative I talked to it's IC-Based.

Not that most of the people around here don't know this, but there's no reason that an IC-based design can't sound awesome. A lot of the gear I love uses IC's and I/O transformers.

rs
Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
According to the Alpha representative I talked to it's IC-Based.

Not that most of the people around here don't know this, but there's no reason that an IC-based design can't sound awesome. A lot of the gear I love uses IC's and I/O transformers.

rs
Definitely!

You can get such great results with modern ICs and on the other hand you can hear the Bozak Iso-X (discrete) that sounds really bad.

Even if it's a funny tool, but not more.

The discussion of discrete or IC based does not help at all. The result is what counts.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM

Keep in mind that the Bozak ISO-X is not an original American Bozak product and should not be compaired in the same status as the American brand discrete circuitry. I am sure people are aware of the many company's that over the years tried to copy the original 1960-1990 USA Bozak discrete circuitry and failed with their copy's. Also many people do not know that Bozak was one of the first to use discrete circuitry with IC chips in the 10-2 and 10-2D series mixers back in the 1970s so yes IC chips can be designed to produce good sound.

Last edited by Captainjr : 08-31-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Last night at Stereo Montreal, Dixon was playing some of the most beautiful music.. The guy who booked him said the system sounded best with the
Urei so Dixon played on the Urei, the 3 cdj2000nexus' were then plugged into three "Bozak" ISO-X for eq.

I havent heard the sound like that in a while.. most djs ask for the djm900 or 2000

I dont think the ISO-X is a bad product, infact I think when used properly it is a very good piece of kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjr
Keep in mind that the Bozak ISO-X is not an original American Bozak product and should not be compaired in the same status as the American brand discrete circuitry. I am sure people are aware of the many company's that over the years tried to copy the original 1960-1990 USA Bozak discrete circuitry and failed with their copy's. Also many people do not know that Bozak was one of the first to use discrete circuitry with IC chips in the 10-2 and 10-2D series mixers back in the 1970s so yes IC chips can be designed to produce good sound.