Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I am a huge fan of Tannoy, I use a System 600 active for my booth monitors, I bought them used and I abuse them sometimes but they are crazy solid for 6"

We also use a pair of Tannoy DMT 12 II powered with a Hafler 9505

DMT,s you can find them for about a 1000 and a good amp for half that.. A very good speaker system imo
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 PM

try these http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Overview.html
Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 AM

The JBL 4311 is a great speaker. I have some and the low frequency response is killer even at low levels. It's a bit exaggerated but still a nice speaker for the money they cost. Make sure the mid and high frequency drivers are working and in good condition. Also any JBL speaker with the 2435 15 inch driver has good bass response and were mostly id studio monitors with great Mid and hi frequency drivers as well.
If you have a bigger budget, the larger ATC and PMC monitors are also great.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Senior Citizen

I like the Klipsch Heresey, Chorus and Forte. To me they have a good combination of detail and oomph in their sound.

/Daniel
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Thumbs up My solution: Ohm Acoustics Corp. Model I Speakers & Crown Macro Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel
Nothing wrong with the modern, accurate speakers, it's just a personal, aesthetic choice. The last hifi fair I went to, I must have listened like 30 different speakers (ranging from a few hundred to 25k a pair) and I found just one suitable pair I liked (by Atohm, and those were like 7k a pair). Everything else left me cold.

I just want something different, that's all.

So I've been thinking about Barfunkel's post for many months now, as I've been grappling with a similar problem. Just this month I think I came up with a pretty cool solution that so far has been amazing for my home music needs.

A few years ago I randomly acquired a pair of 3-way speakers called Ohm C2. These are bookshelf speakers designed in the 1970's that sounded great compared to what I previously had, especially for rock music and afro-beat. Little did I know that this company is still alive and well, making speakers in Brooklyn, NY of all places. I called the company and began communicating with their owner, who actually picks up the phone and will talk to you at length about his products.

I liked the speakers and the company so much that I decided to see if I could get more of them, and couple them together to try to improve upon the sound for house and disco. This was definitely an area that they needed to improve -- pounding 4 on the floor bass drums. So I waited and eventually found 3 more pairs on Craigslist, and I upgraded all of the woofers going through Ohm's service dept and ran them in a parallel-series configuration into an old Ashly FTX-2001 mosfet amp that I had on hand. I stacked them up to my ceiling (see attached photo). This sounded a lot better and more immersive, but still could not deliver the bass I wanted. It's a shame because I love the Ohm label and their customer support.

So I did some more research and learned that Ohm really were more in the jazz/classical/rock specialty, and not so much in the disco/house arena. At this point I was considering selling my stuff and trying to get a pair of Klipschorns, even though the idea of being tied to a corner horn was not ideal for me. Plus I would have needed a subwoofer too.

BUT THEN! I discovered that Ohm made one really obscure speaker specifically for disco: the Ohm Model I flagship speaker. It was a 4-way omnidirectional speaker with a built-in 12" woofer that takes up to 1500 watts, designed in 1980. And it had really cool advertising that spoke to me (see the ad in the attachment). I had to find this speaker!

So I waited, and lo and behold, someone 15 miles from me in Detroit was selling a pair on CL. I reached out to him and he sold them to me this weekend at a very reasonable price. Better yet, this happened one week after I had found a pristine Crown Macro Reference amplifier for sale from a closed recording studio. Not a bad stretch for me!

So now I have this great setup with the Crown Macro Reference driving the Ohm Model I's. It sounds amazing. I need to push the speakers against the wall for optimum performance, but even as-is they really pound. The omni-directional thing takes some getting used to, but for home use I actually kind of like it. The Macro Reference does not make any noise at all and it's superior power isolation has completely knocked out the ground loop hum I was getting with the Ashly amp. I love this amp so much, it's a beast and even bigger than the PSA-2 coming in at 4 rack spaces.

Anyway, that's my happy story and I hope this provides an interesting alternative to the tried-and-true Klipschorn/JBL methodology for househeads without a nightclub in their homes. I am a happy advocate for the Ohm Model I and Crown Macro Reference. You won't have an easy time finding a pair, but if you do, you should be a happy camper.

Regards,
Ben

Full hifi setup:

Thorens TD-126 MKIII Turntable
Nakamichi DR-3 Cassette Deck
Bozak CMA-10-2DLA Disco Mixer/Preamplifier (all original)
DBX 503 Dynamic Range Expander
DBX 500 Disco Boom Box Subharmonic Synthesizer
Klark-Teknik DN360 Three Octave Equalizer
Crown Macro Reference Amplifier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stack-components.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	3229  Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.jpg
Views:	121