Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM

dj console build/ plans?

hi,

i have just purchased a rane mp/xp 2016 and want to get a dj console for it.

i have seen one that i love which is exactly what i want at http://www.ln-cc.com/invt/mus0400402col/ but they only ship within the uk.

i'm in new zealand so not really much of a dj culture down here except for kids with laptops. my mixer that i have is the only rotary mixer that i know of, so not any 'dj console' building services.

would anyone have any plans similar to the link above so i could get something made by a local cabinet maker. would really love a nyc style booth for my room.

cheers!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM

Show a local chippy some pictures and give him some dimensions (HxWxD of the TTs, if you want them fully sunk) 19" by xRU (where x is the number of RU you want and where http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack

The only other stuff I would say is check for things the carpenter WONT be aware of eg the depth of any equipment in the angled rack - will your console be big enough to take them where you want without hitting the bottom of the top bit? Check... youll also need to determine the angle of that top rack... everything else is easy

FINISH: Go for solid oak if you can, not veneered. Ill say that store is very expensive compared to employing a chippy to do it yourself... those cabinets look like unfinished, veneered MDF - not the nicest of finishes if youre buying a 'for life' console... get a solid oak one made (Be aware some places say 'solid oak' when they mean oak-veneered MDF - kitchen suppliers do this a l;ot and it is MISLEADING!!! - beware!!!)

So check whose responsible for finish (ie sanding/ filling/ first coat and sand, second coat and sand of varnish)

If you do buy one and want to varnish it (and I absolutely WOULD) do it WHEN YOU BUY IT!! As itll get covered in smears and chips otherwise

One more thing, perhaps consider some rack space underneath (Amps, CD players etc)

ENJOY!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 AM

PS if you do get a solid oak finish - consider having all edges and corners rounded/ bevelled - might look nicer your choice thouggh
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 AM

ps

dont just copy the nyc design - think about what you want in terms of layout/ equipment etc. All well and good having 3 TTs and loads of rack gear if you have a laptop and 2x pioneer cd players...

If youve just got into rotary mixing, run it for a year on the table and decide how you like to mix/ what layout and gear you want... then after a year get your console built
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 AM

(edit, wrong info posted by mistake)

Last edited by daswadan : 12-03-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 AM

here is a plan for a basic dj-stand.

http://www.houseboard.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=18881

don´t mind that it is in german, the important part is the drawing. with little changes an additional board on top (as a cover), you can make it into a console with sunk turntables.

i made my console using this plan as a basis. the result can be seen in the "pictures"-thread on page 64.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
If you're in the NYC area, give Brian Wilson a call. He's the man. https://www.facebook.com/B.W.Productions/info
Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Old thread I know..........

If the original poster still wants plans for above console give me a shout.... Wouldnt normally do that but as you in NZ.....

Just a note, If a dj console was made from solid oak, It would have to be priced at about £5000........ If any of my consoles were made in hard wood, The hard wood alone would cost more than what I'm selling at.

LN-CC is not cheap.... But when you start taking off their (little) amount of commission for all the hard work, PR, Photo shoots etc, Then VAT @ 20%... Its soon brings down whats left in my pocket, Which I also have to hand over 20% tax on

I must of spent about a month designing the console refereed to.

I think £1500 is pretty good value myself.

Last edited by mark andrews : 05-26-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 AM

Hey Mark, wasn't having a pop I promise - the racks are very good for the price - the only reason I suggested people maybe should employ their own carpenter is they can get something that exactly suits their needs (eg they might want a laptop stand integrated, might have cd players not vinyl TTs, etc) and I stand by my comment that users should run a rotary in a basic setup (ie just on a table with your decks) before getting a custom rack as they might find their needs change once theyve been using the mixer a while

Hope your good mate alls good this end J
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Very true indeed. I guess A console is a luxury really.

Good to hear your all good, I'm cool mate
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Shipping prices for above console linked in thread to New Zealand.

Quite cheap by Sea I reckon ;o)