Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Recommend a delay/echo unit to use with Urei 1620

Hi gang! I'm looking for a good delay/echo unit to use with a Urei 1620 and wondered what you would recommend.

Currently I'm using a Line 6 Echo Park guitar pedal. The input signal is coming from the headphone output via a splitter and the output is fed back to a free channel on the Urei via the aux inputs. This set up isn't ideal as there is a small amount of delay between the source signal and the effected signal which isn't noticeable when the bass/kick is cut but when it's not the kicks are slightly out.

I am reluctant to use the FX Loop as I would like the option to leave the effect to decay while bringing in another tune.

I was wondering if you could recommend a unit or if there is another configuration where this delay won't happen.

Many thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM

What about the Lexicon Jamman? I think a few users on here have it...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi Disko ole thanks for your reply and recommendation.

Just wondering have you had any experience with the Jam Man? Is there a delay between the dry and effected sounds? Many thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM

I really like the Pioneer EFX-1000.

It's incredible to use, first of all. Pioneer really nails effects IMO.

It's got True Bypass. Also, it has Digital I/O up to 96k in case you want to use an outboard converter for even more clarity, but the onboard converters are very good.

Since the RMX-1000 came out the prices have come way down, but I still prefer the EFX honestly...

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 04-22-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
rmx1000 is interesting too..
can even work as an isolator
I think it can be racked up nicely to fit above or below a rotary mixer without too much fuss, def made for table top or stand like the efx1000, which I like and have in the booth.. I like the options for the efx and the layout of the rmx1000 over the efx1000 but both are fun units..

for me I really like Traktor for its delay, running the x1 for efx control with the urei for the mixer is lots of fun
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Boss DD

Klick!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Thanks for your suggestions guys!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Apologies for hi jacking the thread. can anyone recommend a good delay/echo to use with a DJR 400? I currently use the efx 500 and have the settings almost how i would like them.

Cheers all
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Not to sound like a broken record but the EFX-1000 has the highest throughput-fidelity of any DJ effects unit I know of. It's up there with the modern rackmount effects stuff like a Yamaha SPX-2000 or an Eventide in terms of preserving the dry signal. Extremely high headroom as well. The only thing I really dislike about the EFX-1000 is the "tin can" reverb, which is an auxiliary effect on all the Jog Wheel FX. Surely they could have done better with the processing power.

For a send-return configuration (my understanding is that the DJR400 can have a send-return or a wet/dry FX loop) the field is obviously a lot wider since the effects box is no longer in the main signal chain. I think the Strymon El Capistan is really cool (stereo tape delay emulator with tap tempo and looping), and something a little different but also nice is the Alesis Midiverb 1, which conveniently has stereo RCA connections. I like the Midiverb because even though a lot of people hate it for its 12-bit crudeness, I think it works great as a performance effect because you can really hear it. Decent analog section too (TL082 opamps, film caps).

I'm assuming that since you've got a small mixer you want an FX box of similar or smaller size. Therefore I didn't mention rackmount stuff. But I really like the Eventide H3000's personality if that's your kind of thing. I don't like modern TC FX for DJing, I think they are too timid and clean. One thing I'd like to try at some point is a TC 2290...

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 04-26-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixalaki
Hi Disko ole thanks for your reply and recommendation.

Just wondering have you had any experience with the Jam Man? Is there a delay between the dry and effected sounds? Many thanks

Sorry, but I don't have any first hand experience with this unit. I'm trying to source one through the local ebay, but to no use so far...

Currently I have an EFX 500 which despite having horrible sound quality is still a nite effect unit imho.

With my Rane mixer the quality was really degraded as it was in the efx loop when activated and 100% of the signal came via the unit.

Now I have an ARS-4100 where I use the efx unit in a channel assignable send/return loop. So here I only use the wet signal from the efx and mix it in with the send/return knobs, so in one way the degrading sound quality of the efx 500 isn't so obvious since I have the wet signals mixed with higher emphasis on the channel signal :-)

Did think about the RMX-1000 for some time, but I have to get some hands on experience first as I have yet to try it out. I'm worried it might not work the way I'd like it to work so I'm open for replacing my EFX 500 with an EFX 1000 too if I can't find anything else with a reasonable price.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Electrix Mo Fx was popular back in the day. You can still find them on ebay.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...s/electrix.htm
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 AM

I have a Urei 1620 and EFX-1000, great combo! But when EFX is in use, the sound quality drops! I told my djs to bypass it when they not using it or disengage using the toggle switch on the isolator.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
I still use my Old FX500 pioneer, Be creative using tape out from the urei to the EFX and send output of the FX to channel 6 on the UREI , EFX must be in full wet mode
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I have one in the booth too, my only complaint is to use the both sides of the efx sections to combine certain efx its like we physically need more hands?

with the rmx1000 I like the combination possibilities of efx routing and combination efx

but I was filming Maceoplex this past weekend and he was using the A&H xone92 with two guitar pedals, adam beyer too, loco dice.. cool analog builds.. the re-20 looks crazy too but I havent seen one in a touring dj rig yet

Traktor has powerful efx, but I like the new found inspiration to use more dynamic and analog efx to mix it up and bring a different element to the mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
Not to sound like a broken record but the EFX-1000 has the highest throughput-fidelity of any DJ effects unit I know of.
rs
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Hello
Was thinking of purchasing a space echo pedal for urei 1620, has anyone on here used one with the mixer? what is the best way to connect it to the UREI 1620(Sound wise)
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM

also like the op want to delay one channel and let decay whilst bringing in another tune

Many thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 AM

i really like the rodec filter bank, has anyone on here used one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJToGKD4BE
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truba
i really like the rodec filter bank, has anyone on here used one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJToGKD4BE
That looks fun!
Shame it doesn't have a simple delay option on it too, as then it would be the perfect FX unit for me...
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM

the older ureis had a mono out which is perfect for pushing the signal thru guitar effects... then feed it back in thru another channel with a Y-cable... mind you you can only put echo on the whole mix... but a real dj can swing those knobs correctly and get the repeats where they need them.... at least i can!!! i use an old rack mount elektra analog delay ep-150. its a bucket brigade joint and it has personality up the yin-yang.... the thing analog delays dont deal with is low end material... so i run an Šudio arts eq before it to get just the signal that it likes... then the delay can really talk... not just make analog crunchy sounds.... my first mixer was a stanton pmc-690 that had a sick digital delay built in that you can assign to any channel... i still use that mixer on reggae gigs!!!! sound quality is nothin to write home about... but that delay!!! old school reggae baby!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 PM

the elektra delay has an input level knob that use to feed the delay... the mono output signal is constant....