About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM

A question on filters for GSA, SBS, and PERN???

Why do you not offer any HP or LP filters? I love to use filters for FX and to help blend tracks but there are not many options for me to buy in analog form. I know Vestax, A&H, and Vermona have released some but most if not all have been discontinued.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM

I offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator
Why do you not offer any HP or LP filters? I love to use filters for FX and to help blend tracks but there are not many options for me to buy in analog form. I know Vestax, A&H, and Vermona have released some but most if not all have been discontinued.

and believe in HIFI solid state processing and soon will offer Tube processors with the SP1, but not str8 up filters. Filters do have there place in the field but not a product I see for SBS Designs. You do have movable xover points on the High and low of the Iso Q2 so that can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies in a mix - Specs - http://sbsdesigns.com/iso-q2-isolato...m-equalizer-3/ but a str8 up filter to add that squaking sound to be kind, SBS Designs will not offer this at any time, there are options out there from many fine companies that do offer a part for this.

I have a client that purchased 8 Iso-Q2 processors for the capability of doing just this, as an example i attached his pics,

His Iso-Q2 set up

1 Iso-Q on each turntable thru a Grado phono preamp
1 Iso-Q in the Loop
1 Iso-Q at the House out of his Rane 2016s
1 1 Iso-Q on each output of his Metric Halo

Hope this answers your questions...

www.sbsdesigns.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	3136  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	3137  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	3138  

Last edited by SBS Designs : 07-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM

I do offer a analog Variable HP filter and are also working on a LP filter and some other filters also :-)

It has Line level In/Out so that it can be connected to a Line input on any Mixer/Preamp.

More info about it is here:

Bozure.com - HPF1

Short Test Videos of it + the Gain Trim and the Phono1 modules :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsZJ7UajUU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHkivbBvHY8&feature=plcp

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook

Last edited by Pern : 07-05-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS Designs
and believe in HIFI solid state processing and soon will offer Tube processors with the SP1, but not str8 up filters. Filters do have there place in the field but not a product I see for SBS Designs. You do have movable xover points on the High and low of the Iso Q2 so that can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies in a mix - Specs - http://sbsdesigns.com/iso-q2-isolato...m-equalizer-3/ but a str8 up filter to add that squaking sound to be kind, SBS Designs will not offer this at any time, there are options out there from many fine companies that do offer a part for this.
www.sbsdesigns.com

Actually I don't like the squawking sound and prefer to have the resonance turned down. An exception to that is sometimes I like to add a small resonant peak around 40hz to add some low end oomph to the subs when it's missing in the track. That squawking noise keeps me from using the filters on the pioneer mixers. I usually just want to gently remove the low end for a cleaner sound and that resonant peak mucks it up. Right now I'm using the filters built into Serato with the Kontrol X1 for the knobs. It makes it easy to have filters with me wherever I play and they sound decent. Really I would like a better option though. Something analog with big knobs would be nice. The A&H Xone-VF1 is the only one I have found that I like but it's not for sale anymore. The layout of the Vestax isolator with built in filters was cool too but everyone says the build/sound quality was lacking.

Is there something non-hifi about about filters? Do they add unwanted noise/color to the signal path? Are the variable crossover points on the Iso Q2 basically filters without variable resonance and the ability to sweep from 20-20khz?

It's fine that you don't want to make one or have one in the SBS product line. I just like filters and was wondering why there are not more being made.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pern
I do offer a analog Variable HP filter and are also working on a LP filter and some other filters also :-)

It has Line level In/Out so that it can be connected to a Line input on any Mixer/Preamp.

More info about it is here:

Bozure.com - HPF1

Short Test Videos of it + the Gain Trim and the Phono1 modules :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsZJ7UajUU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHkivbBvHY8&feature=plcp

Thanks for posting the video's. I looked at it on your site earlier but it's nice to hear it in action. I think it's cool that your offering people a way to build a custom mixer and someday I would like to try and build one for myself.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM

The sound quality in the videos are just from the built-in mic in the video camera, it sounds much better than that.

Also the cameras built in limiter reduce a lot of the effect for the +- 15dB Gain Trim module. I will do better recordings of everything soon.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook

Last edited by Pern : 07-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pern
The sound quality in the videos are just from the built-in mic in the video camera, it sounds much better than that.

Right... But now I know it's not full kill as in a 20-20khz sweep. Also I learned that it's pretty transparent without the high resonance.

The low resonance is nice but I think I would prefer a full 20-20k sweep vs the limited range. Will that ever be an option?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 AM

The design goal for this version of the HPF was to do something with the same functionality as the HPF in the A&H XONE V6 Mixer. I started with with the same filter range as that, but after some testing i changed it to 30-720 Hz since i thought that sounded better.

I havent thought about a 20Hz-20KHz HPF, but i can look at it a little later this summer.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 AM

Pern: extremely interested in the HPF (and the future LPF). What voltage is it designed to run on?

Thanks,
rs
Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 AM

Not that critical. It use a TL074 IC. I have only tested it with +-12V and +-15V.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Smooth Operator: I feel exactly how you do with filters and do exactly what you do with Traktor. Sometimes it's nice to have a high resonance for effects with vocals, etc, but in general I turn the resonance all the way down and just use the filters as that.

Sometimes I map filters to the large knobs on my XFX box or use the X1 knobs as they are nice with the center detent when you set up the filters in DJM mode (left=low pass | right=high pass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator
Actually I don't like the squawking sound and prefer to have the resonance turned down. An exception to that is sometimes I like to add a small resonant peak around 40hz to add some low end oomph to the subs when it's missing in the track. That squawking noise keeps me from using the filters on the pioneer mixers. I usually just want to gently remove the low end for a cleaner sound and that resonant peak mucks it up. Right now I'm using the filters built into Serato with the Kontrol X1 for the knobs. It makes it easy to have filters with me wherever I play and they sound decent. Really I would like a better option though. Something analog with big knobs would be nice. The A&H Xone-VF1 is the only one I have found that I like but it's not for sale anymore. The layout of the Vestax isolator with built in filters was cool too but everyone says the build/sound quality was lacking.

Is there something non-hifi about about filters? Do they add unwanted noise/color to the signal path? Are the variable crossover points on the Iso Q2 basically filters without variable resonance and the ability to sweep from 20-20khz?

It's fine that you don't want to make one or have one in the SBS product line. I just like filters and was wondering why there are not more being made.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Smooth Operator: I feel exactly how you do with filters and do exactly what you do with Traktor. Sometimes it's nice to have a high resonance for effects with vocals, etc, but in general I turn the resonance all the way down and just use the filters as that.

Sometimes I map filters to the large knobs on my XFX box or use the X1 knobs as they are nice with the center detent when you set up the filters in DJM mode (left=low pass | right=high pass).

I changed the bottom two knobs on my X1 to 1" knobs from radio shack that make it a bit more fun to use. I wish I could make all the knobs 1" but it doesn't have enough room. =/