About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Rane MP44 review and patchable mixer setup

Hey guys-

Just thought I'd share. After about 3 years of non-stop beating, it was about time to replace the Rane 2016 at one of my clubs in Philly. The DJ's have complained about the rotary from day one, so after some though I decided to go with the Rane MP44. Most dj's request the Pioneer 800 on riders, but my console rack actually is about a U too short, so I had to go with something a bit smaller. I thought the MP44 would be the best compromise.

This was my first exposure to an MP44 and I have to say I'm a bit mixed on it. After cutting back the limiter that was engaged from the factory it has fairly strong output, I would say comparable to the 2016. It's very clean sounding and has some nice features for an install mixer (balance knob, optional remote volume control via a standard remotely mounted potentiometer, etc).

Beyond fidelity I'm not overly impressed with the quality and feel. The EQ knobs feel somewhat cheesy and I personally don't like the looseness of the channel faders. You can literally flick them and they'll fly all the way up. I guess that's the "style" right now, loose faders, but to me, having the ability to flick a master fader all the way up isn't ideal. I prefer a little stiffness as the old MP24 had.

Overall a quality mixer, but my personal choice of the Rane line is solidly still with the 2016 combo.

I also built on my patch bay concept I previously installed by making the entire booth, CD players, monitors, and master all pass through a patch bay for a modular setup. The challenge was I had different dj's 3-4 days a week coming in every night with different setups. Some Traktor, some Serato Scratch, some wanted to use CD's, some turntables with Traktor or Scratch. Also the club runs without any sound tech on staff so the club has to basically run itself without me being on-site to take care of technical stuff. It was taking a toll with wear and tear on everything being pulled apart all the time. Let alone two dj's off and on in a set, going into the console or behind the mixer, etc...

Now I have a studio grade patch bay handling all switching duties. DJ's can switch between interface boxes and source components, CD's, TT's, etc with just a quick push/pull of a cable on the patch bay. No wear and tear on the mixer and no DJ hands fiddling around in the console and with the mixer. Really worked out nicely and its simple enough for a non-technical management to look after.

I have more pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/doktortekkel...d=270551629949