About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Paul Oakenfold speaks about GSA and Zouk!

Friday 02 April: 'Zouk' Singapore
posted by Paul Oakenfold

"That unique 'Zouk' Experience.

After a 22-hour journey to get to Singapore i was delirious but at the same time very excited to be going back to play at one of the worlds best clubs and for 'with out doubt' the pioneer of our Dance scene in SE Asia and dear friend, Lincoln Chengs very own 'Zouk'.
On arriving i managed to grab some 4 hours sleep before being taken out to lunch by Vinnie Quek the director of marketing & entertainment at Zouk, unfortunately Lincoln had months previously booked his family holiday, maybe knowing full well i was coming!
So, Vinnie takes me to an area called 'Little India' for lunch. It's unique to Singapore as it is the only place in the world that brings together all the many different regions of Indian cuisines, im stuck for choice! With so many options we nominate a restaurant called 'Muthu's Curry' which turns out to be an incredibly spicy experience, i don't normally do spice but this was exceptional! After this long lunch tasting so many dishes Vinnie decides to then take me for a Chinese desert with a choice of over 50 'Ah Chew Desserts' is a must for a sweet tooth, the interior is original turn of the century Chinese decor and is a delight on the eye.
From there we head over to Zouk to sound-check on ultimately the best club system in the world the awesome ‘Gary Stewart Audio’ (GSA) sound system, with as much Db's as a747 but a clarity of sound unequalled its a honour to play on. After I'm back to the hotel to catch up on some much needed R&R, then still not being able to sleep im later taken out for drinks by Alyssa and Marie also from 'Zouk' to one of the worlds most famous hotels 'Raffles', this is Singapore's national monument, established in 1887 its where sometime during 1915 the 'Singapore Sling' was concocted apparently shaken not stirred. After a couple of these and a fat Cohiba (cigar) were ready for dinner of fine Chinese food at the Hai Tien restaurant i wasn't able to eat that much but what i had was all good, were then off to Zouk to share the night with a full floor. For me going to Zouk is like coming home, everyone is so very welcoming, in fact it turns out to be such an amazing night and i enjoy playing so much i gave them a 4-hour set. After though im 'shattered' im buzzing from the night, im back to the hotel at 6am, then up and checked-out by mid-day off to Changi Airport onward to Malaysia.

I would like to thank Alyssa, Vinnie, Marie, Benny and all the Zouk production and staff, especially Lincoln for having me back for that 'Zouk' experience, it was truly a pleasure!
http://pauloakenfold.com/users/paulo...d/blogs/323991