Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Rane MP 24 Question.

First off, as a long time lurker, let me say thanks for the bottomless well of knowledge contained in these pages. I've spent many evenings looking at custom consoles and mixer modifications etc

I own a couple of Rane MP 24 mixers, one i'm selling and the other I want to fix up and use as a spare once i've bought a Urei

The problem I have with it is that there is something wrong with the master output (I think) It seems to be really easy to distort, I have to keep it really low to avoid this, and as such i'm not getting much volume from it. I've been using the booth outputs which sound much cleaner, and much louder.

Any ideas?

Also, is there a method to remove crackle from the crossfader? I don't actually use it so it's not too important. What causes this? Dirt? Age?

Many thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Well, not sure about your master fader issue, but as for the cross fader, I recommend some compressed air. Usually dirt on the rails causes crackling. If the compressed air doesn't do it, you may need to swap it. I don't like using lubes, I find that if dirt is the problem, a lube will let more dirt and dust stick to it.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 AM

You can open and clean the crossfader, if compressed air wouldn't clean enough. Mine was is also nearly 20 years old and spend a few years in a club. after cleaning the rails it went perfectly.

See my rotary mod, maybe you don't need to buy a urei. It's not difficult to build

For your output:
Have you tried to turn the output and meter sensitivity on the back side of your mixer down? I have the output full down and the sensitivity at about 0.775V I think.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossa nolyx
You can open and clean the crossfader, if compressed air wouldn't clean enough. Mine was is also nearly 20 years old and spend a few years in a club. after cleaning the rails it went perfectly.

See my rotary mod, maybe you don't need to buy a urei. It's not difficult to build

For your output:
Have you tried to turn the output and meter sensitivity on the back side of your mixer down? I have the output full down and the sensitivity at about 0.775V I think.

That is amazing! how much do you estimate it would cost to do that?

Also, yes I have tried the controls on the back.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:

I have 4 x MP24's sitting on my shelves, I would love to do this mod to , where did you get the face plate made??
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 AM

The face plate is made by a german company.

www.schaeffer-ag.de (also in english)

I live in Berlin

You can download a wonderful CAD-like program on their website. It is their own product, so you only need to upload thee data it creates and you will have your faceplate a few weeks later. Very easy! It's only difficult to measure every hole exactly... But I could give you my file if you want to try it.

Here a screenshot:

I postet some more fotos in the "pictures" thread on page 43...

The faceplate made 95€ incl. shipping. 5x Blue Velvet made about 60€.
The Mixer I bought on ebay for about 60€ I think...

All together <250€

Oh, I forgot the knobs:

I replaced all of them with Sifam knobs. Sifam comes from UK but maybe you find a local distribution. 10 big knobs cost about 30€.

Last edited by bossa nolyx : 02-11-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
I have 4 x MP24's sitting on my shelves, I would love to do this mod to , where did you get the face plate made??

That ish is Hot. I am going to do a very similar thing to my Biamp 5000. Thanks for that information.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM

I don't think this will be possible with a Biamp 5000. On my 5001 there is not enough clearance between the circuit boards and the face plate for a descent rotary pot. Used MP24s are quite cheap these days... especially if the expensive faders they came with are shot.

--Abyssus Abyssum
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis
Used MP24s are quite cheap these days... especially if the expensive faders they came with are shot.
The man a has point here! The MP24 is solderable, thru hole circuit boards, which lends itself to modification and customization and are available inexpensively!

DIY Heaven!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to quez
Rane MP44

The mods on the MP24 are cool. I've been looking into maybe doing that to the MP44. Are they built the same as far as spacing is concerned for the Rotary Pots? Can you share any schematics?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM

All discontinued Rane products have manuals and schematics posted in the support section of Rane's site. Most schematics even include board layout diagrams... DIY heaven indeed!

--Abyssus Abyssum
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Yes, the support section is really great! Also interesting articles to find there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by quez
... Are they built the same as far as spacing is concerned for the Rotary Pots?
The internal construction is harrowing. Everything is tight an no modular parts.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I WANT ONE!!!! That is awesome modding!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
I WANT ONE!!!! That is awesome modding!!!!
Thanks! I'm happy to hear, that other people like it. But this is really no big thing. There is no technical change. Just replaced the faders with RK27 pots, new designed faceplate (okay, that took me a bit time) and some new knobs.

If you would have all the material and my file for the face plate, then you could do this too in a few hours. There's no need of real technical experience.

But, I must say, this rane is a really nice mixer to do this mod. You can get a high quality rotary mixer with very interesting features (2 master inserts(!), adjustable sensitivity of the programm meter, adjustable master gain reduction, optional mono outputs, 3 adjustable outputs, phantom power for mic input and a fine master equalizer. And the crossfader can be disengaged (what most people on this forum would prefer, I think...).
And the sound is really not bad and has the warmth that many people like.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 AM

I love the idea, I hold onto the MP24's because I personally think they were the best sounding RANE i ever own and i refuse to sell them for $200 dollars on fleaBay.. And YES I AM A HORDER OF JUNK!!!!

I have to get that file off you, maybe i’ll make a couple next time it’s quiet in the workshop!!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Kieren -> PM

I can't secure, that my file fits perfectly to your version of the MP24! There have been 3 different series. For example the MP24z with a VCA crossfader. I think I have the oldest version. And it seems to be that there are also some differences between different models of one series.

The layout of my original faceplate is not the same as shown in the manual of the mixer!

It's essential to compare every detail of the layout and possibly do some corrections in your project!

Maybe there are some small differences in the internal construction of the version you have. I don't know. Please check this and look if the big blue velvet pots fit in your system.

Last edited by bossa nolyx : 02-12-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Bossa,

Could you do me the honour of sending me the file please,

I have a different idea for the name/fonts/colours etc, so don't worry that your original mod is going to be copied

Started dismantling mine last night, that face plate ain't easy to get off is it?

I noticed that the EQ pots are blue alps as well, in theory, how hard do you think it would be to put another set of EQ's in (per channel eq)

Also, Which RK27's are they? This site seems to have a lot of variants,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPS-RK27112-Blue-Velvet-Pots-10K-50K-100K-250K-500K-1M_W0QQitemZ350240094830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cons umer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item518befba6e

Last edited by jambourgie : 02-12-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Looks like this is one band wagon we all can agree on. This is fun. I haven't begun to open the Biamp. The, "if it ain't broke....", but I have done some funny things in my electronics history. This now intriques me.

The MP 44 is a goal to rotarize (new word?). I will get that project done one day. I am so in love with that mixer. I love the lay out, sound, options. Awhile back I did the ALPS mod on my ASR 3 way. I posted pictures here but there wasn't any buzz so I just kept it moving. Modded the board to accept the pots. Some dremel work and re tracing and viola.

The 24 are one of the cleanest mixer around. Cheap enough these days. Parts are still accessible. Rane will support it still. Not free, but help is available. Not a dead item. Changing one of these is a very acceptable challenge.

DYI is the world I live in. Keep this up. Any kind of work on any kind of electronics is fine by me. keep the photos coming too.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverObsolete
DYI is the world I live in. Keep this up. Any kind of work on any kind of electronics is fine by me. keep the photos coming too.
Umm Hmm, we know!

I posted DIY Heaven ( DO IT YOURSELF )

You post DYI World ( DO YOURSELF IN )

Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
Umm Hmm, we know!

I posted DIY Heaven ( DO IT YOURSELF )

You post DYI World ( DO YOURSELF IN )

You know you're so right. I guess I do myself in. hahahahha
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambourgie
Bossa,

Could you do me the honour of sending me the file please,

I have a different idea for the name/fonts/colours etc, so don't worry that your original mod is going to be copied

Started dismantling mine last night, that face plate ain't easy to get off is it?

I noticed that the EQ pots are blue alps as well, in theory, how hard do you think it would be to put another set of EQ's in (per channel eq)

Also, Which RK27's are they? This site seems to have a lot of variants,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPS-RK27112-Blue-Velvet-Pots-10K-50K-100K-250K-500K-1M_W0QQitemZ350240094830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cons umer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item518befba6e
Depends on which EQs you want to have. You could build the same circuit that rane used in the master eq. It is no isolator but it is a good eq circuit that makes no phase problems.
But in the end you won't have enough space in the mixer to put this in for every channel not even for only one channel I think!

For the line pots you need the same resistor as the faders. In my version I have 50KAX2. You could also use the linear version 50KBX2, then you have another curve. If you want to test out if a linear curve could be better for you, you could put the crossfader in a line channel. The crossfader is the same as the line faders only with linear curve.

PM me your mail address and I will send you the file.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Kieren -> PM

I can't secure, that my file fits perfectly to your version of the MP24! There have been 3 different series. For example the MP24z with a VCA crossfader. I think I have the oldest version. And it seems to be that there are also some differences between different models of one series.

The layout of my original faceplate is not the same as shown in the manual of the mixer!

It's essential to compare every detail of the layout and possibly do some corrections in your project!

Maybe there are some small differences in the internal construction of the version you have. I don't know. Please check this and look if the big blue velvet pots fit in your system.

I have a bunch of MP24's sitting around, so i'm sure it'll match one but it'll be a bit of fun either way!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Another MP24 mod in progress. (I'm building a mixer from scratch but realized I needed a little more education before proceeding with it....so this isn't gear buying, it's education!)

I found a "burning" MP24 locally for USD $40. 3 small resistors and capacitors later, I was in business. (Rane stuff is extremely well-engineered, so the burnt parts were just sacrificial resistors in front of op-amp power inputs.)

Bossa Nolyx graciously gave me his Front Panel design which I tweaked to personal taste. The only functional change I made was to add mechanical guides (little indentations on the rear of the panel) for the Alps RK27s. Cost was USD $210 for the front panel. I think the slightly higher cost was on account of using 4mm powder-coated metal as opposed to a slightly thinner anodized metal.

I should have this panel and the Sifam knob order by next week. Upon completion I'd be glad to give anyone my Front Panel file and the exact list of Sifam knobs I bought (which was fun to make, but a fairly involved task.) About USD $70 total for the knobs.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 03-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM

I want that Rane!!

For the crossfader: some Deoxit FN5 will work wonders. It'll clean dirt right out. Use some lube to make it smooth again. works like a charm. Deoxit is the only stuff that you can safely spray in your faders/knobs in imho
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Replaced faders with knobs. The existing faders had a pinout listed on the side, something like "1 1' 2 2' 3 3' ". I just used the same pinout on the RK27s. The small PCBs that the RK27s are mounted to were from dalaudio.com. They are terrific and inexpensive.

I didn't realize what fantastic build quality the MP24 had. Viewed in a historical context, it really was starting with the Urei and Bozak as a baseline, and trying to improve upon their practical deficiencies.

After swapping the stock TL072/NE5532s/Quad Fairchild opamps out for LME49720 and LME49740, I'd put the sound of this mixer up with any DJ mixer I've used. Before that the sound was excellent, but the sound became "faster" and the bass became less distorted after the swap. Some people do not like the LME49720 because of how bright it is but I love the clarity.

rs