About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
Received a GSA ISO3001 for a client last week, my client is wrapped and I must take my hat off to you Mario I have no idea how you managed to build these Isolators and make a profit for $895us
It was built solid, looks great & sounds great “a lot better than I expected for that much money”…

Thanks, Mario…
Kieren, that is EXACTLY what I said! But, hey, enjoy the unit, and LOVE that you get something really good sounding, AND outstanding bang for your buck!

The reason the end user gets a great sounding piece, at an affordable price, with the manufacturer still able to make a profit is simple, careful attention to the type of circuits deployed. And very careful selection of parts.

Parts selection can change the cost dramatically. During the design stage of the 3001, Mario had many conversations with Gary, and myself. I recommended a particular brand and type of resistor, wans't a boutique brand, all parts houses carry these, and Mario told me Gary said the same thing. Mario tried several different brands and types when prototyping, and came to the same conclusion as what Gary and I had said.

Capacitors were another carefully, and wisely chosen component. Gary recommended specific film caps, mario tried many, and what Gary recommended sounded the best, even though didn't cost the most! Again, this is what breadboard and prototypes are all about.

Op Amps, MANY EXPENSIVE items available, so much to choose from, VERY distinct sonic differences AND measurements, and again, during the breadboard, prototype, and LISTENING stage, one particular IC has the sound Mario was looking for. That it IS NOT the most expensive IC, matter of fact, it is the least expensive IC, is food for thought! And, yet, throughout the entire design and voicing stages, THIS IC stood out sonically, and made Mario and his ears say YESSSS THIS IS IT!

POTS! Prices range from a couple of bucks for cheap pots, to 50 bucks each for custom made pots, to several hundred bucks for precision stepped attenuators. The pots chosen were not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but they work the best in this unit.

Faceplate, chassis, and knobs. Sure, the faceplate could have been machined from billet aluminum, or, or some other expensive material, and can range from 1/8in to 1in thickness, the chassis could have been made of stainless steel, or whatever is clever, and knobs of many different materials can be used. ALL would add hideously to the cost of the unit, and function, and quality were chosen over form and excessive asthetics and cosmetics.

This unit represents the saying, " The sum of the whole, is greater than the individual value of the parts "!

The end result, is that the end users, YOU, ME, and EVERYONE else that has the GSA ISO-3001, receives the benefit of all the thought and planning that went into this wonderful sounding unit. GREAT SOUND, GREAT RELIABILTY, AND GREAT PRICE!

I love reading stuff like this, and it makes me proud to be able to say I had some input in this!

And they sell like HOT CAKES, BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN AFFORD THEM And they sound good.

Made by Mario, in New Jersey!

No one told the Iso-3001 it couldn't sound sound great and be affordable, so it does both anyway!