About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
Received a GSA ISO3001 for a client last week, my client is wrapped and I must take my hat off to you Mario I have no idea how you managed to build these Isolators and make a profit for $895us
It was built solid, looks great & sounds great “a lot better than I expected for that much money”…

Thanks, Mario…
Kieren, that is EXACTLY what I said! But, hey, enjoy the unit, and LOVE that you get something really good sounding, AND outstanding bang for your buck!

The reason the end user gets a great sounding piece, at an affordable price, with the manufacturer still able to make a profit is simple, careful attention to the type of circuits deployed. And very careful selection of parts.

Parts selection can change the cost dramatically. During the design stage of the 3001, Mario had many conversations with Gary, and myself. I recommended a particular brand and type of resistor, wans't a boutique brand, all parts houses carry these, and Mario told me Gary said the same thing. Mario tried several different brands and types when prototyping, and came to the same conclusion as what Gary and I had said.

Capacitors were another carefully, and wisely chosen component. Gary recommended specific film caps, mario tried many, and what Gary recommended sounded the best, even though didn't cost the most! Again, this is what breadboard and prototypes are all about.

Op Amps, MANY EXPENSIVE items available, so much to choose from, VERY distinct sonic differences AND measurements, and again, during the breadboard, prototype, and LISTENING stage, one particular IC has the sound Mario was looking for. That it IS NOT the most expensive IC, matter of fact, it is the least expensive IC, is food for thought! And, yet, throughout the entire design and voicing stages, THIS IC stood out sonically, and made Mario and his ears say YESSSS THIS IS IT!

POTS! Prices range from a couple of bucks for cheap pots, to 50 bucks each for custom made pots, to several hundred bucks for precision stepped attenuators. The pots chosen were not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but they work the best in this unit.

Faceplate, chassis, and knobs. Sure, the faceplate could have been machined from billet aluminum, or, or some other expensive material, and can range from 1/8in to 1in thickness, the chassis could have been made of stainless steel, or whatever is clever, and knobs of many different materials can be used. ALL would add hideously to the cost of the unit, and function, and quality were chosen over form and excessive asthetics and cosmetics.

This unit represents the saying, " The sum of the whole, is greater than the individual value of the parts "!

The end result, is that the end users, YOU, ME, and EVERYONE else that has the GSA ISO-3001, receives the benefit of all the thought and planning that went into this wonderful sounding unit. GREAT SOUND, GREAT RELIABILTY, AND GREAT PRICE!

I love reading stuff like this, and it makes me proud to be able to say I had some input in this!

And they sell like HOT CAKES, BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN AFFORD THEM And they sound good.

Made by Mario, in New Jersey!

No one told the Iso-3001 it couldn't sound sound great and be affordable, so it does both anyway!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Sorry Scott did I steel your words, I didn’t notice, you know it just because I want to be you!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
Sorry Scott did I steel your words, I didn’t notice, you know it just because I want to be you!!!!!!!
Oh, no worries! When I said EXACTLY what I said, I meant the part about it sounding like more than you expected for this price.

Your welcome to borrow from anything I post, that is what it's here for. You know what? I love the fact that The GSA ISO-3001 is available, and could be sold at this price. AND it blows the doors off the " IF IT COSTS MORE, IT MUST BE BETTER " theory that sometimes enters our minds.

Hey, even I say OUCH at what some things are costing nowadays.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM

I must admit I am a buyer of expensive gear but sometime you get your money’s worth and sometimes you don’t. Actually you could say that about lots of products, I bought a T-shirt at K-mart a couple of years ago to work in for $15 and I still wear it when I am working on my house, then last year I went into a trendy/cool/hip shop when I was in Perth and bought a nice T-Shirt for $60 and it lasted about 6 months of being worn to DJ gigs “no hard workshop or under the hotrod hours” and a couple of threads were coming out and the color was fading…… I love going off subject !!!!!!!

The ISO3001 is perfect for me as it is priced at a price I can sell to clients, and after hearing it I am defiantly going to get one for our hire department I wonder if I would get hires for a isolator in Australia “probably not but that never stopped me before” ….
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Kieren, you can create your own market. Let people hear and try it, let em know they can rent them from you If they like it once they have tried it.

In 1994, we redid the system, at a club I worked at, The Warsaw Ballroom, Miami Beach, and only old skool NY club heads and DJ,s really knew about the Richard Long 3 way xover. Working the xover was distinctly a NY thing, and we put an RLA into warsaw, and everyone saw the THREE RED KNOBS, and the xover craze got started again. What are the 3 red knobs they keep turning to make the bass and highs change?

Steve Dash was selling systems all over the world, with his version of the 3 way, and what was once pretty much a NY thing, with a few notable spots in other major cities, like Chicago, Miami, and a few others, and a few in other countries, and it became world known, and everyone wanted it.

Possibility suggests that IF DJ,s in your city and country know about the iso-3001, they might want it too.

Create a market, and demand!

Last edited by clubman5 : 05-19-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Very true, I’ll run it past my partner. We actually purchased one of Steve’s crossovers recently for our hire department and we have used it on a couple of gigs on our 5-way, I was amazed how the DJ’s react once they work out how to use it “like kids in a sand box”….
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 PM

And, I say to you, the DJ,s that didn't know anything about a crossover like the SDX, now know they ONLY your system has it, and sounds special, and IS fun to spin on!

Unless the system Steve did years ago still exists. But, even if it does, not everyone gets to spin on it. I don't remember the name of the room, but he did do one in Australia.

OTOH, it is 2009, a whole new generation, and crop of DJ,s that never knew the RLA or Phazon eras, but, introduce them to this style of gear and sound, and THEY WILL WANT IT!

Last edited by clubman5 : 05-19-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Yeah we can only hope all DJ’s start to ask for this type of equipment and not the usual DJM800 type of crap!

Yeah I think Steve & George did a big club in Sydney but I never saw it!

I’ll keep pushing better equipment but it can be a very expensive process on our little company’s.
Luckily for me both my partner and I survive on other income, He is a lighting designer and is always touring and I can easily live off DJing so I can afford to play around with new toys!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
And, I say to you, the DJ,s that didn't know anything about a crossover like the SDX, now know they ONLY your system has it, and sounds special, and IS fun to spin on!

Unless the system Steve did years ago still exists. But, even if it does, not everyone gets to spin on it. I don't remember the name of the room, but he did do one in Australia.

OTOH, it is 2009, a whole new generation, and crop of DJ,s that never knew the RLA or Phazon eras, but, introduce them to this style of gear and sound, and THEY WILL WANT IT!

i think steve did a home nightclub install in sydney. it doesnt sound the same any more, it was very nice when it was in there, now its a joke, its soo loud you have to leave after listening to it for more then 20 minutes. even dj's complained so much that one of the internationals who was visiting said it made him deaf.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Home n/c have perchaced gear of us before, That’s right I remember asking their house guy about the system, the new owners of Home changed the system (I think it was due to the stacks being to big) they probably didn’t appreciate or understand it. I have had some of my best work thrown out by new owners of clubs because there sound guys didn’t recognize the brand of the gear or some rubbish like that, you would think they would just call me to find out what is going on!

In the early 90’s I left Chevron N/C in the hands of a new house tech as I was too busy, I was hired again 2years later to find that half the subs had been blown and when the house tech got them reconed and reinstalled them he wired them out-of-phase, so half of the sub were in and half were out of phase. Plus he had blown 2 out of the 6 compression drivers. So his solution was to add 4 more subs (completely different cabinets) & 4 twin 15” & 2” cabinets (badly homemade cabinets). So I came back to a club that was a complete mess sound wise but all I had to do was re-wire the subs & recone a lot of the mid/hi drivers and horns and the system was running perfectly again!

Last edited by Special.K : 05-20-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 PM

GSA installs the THE ISO-3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmariog
GSA ISO3001 ISOLATOR
Now with Reversed Anodized Face Plates
FULLY AMERICAN MADE

FIRST 8 PCS PROTOTYPES
1st PRODUCTION WAS 50 UNITS
2ND PRODUCTION WAS 50 UNITS
Now 3rd PRODUCTION 50 UNITS

The units are boxed & ready to ship.
You are welcome to pick up in WOODLAND PARK NJ. 07424

IN STOCK NO WAITING ON UNITS TO BE MADE
The GSA ISO3001 IS ONLY 5 7/8 DEEP will fit in any console.

110/220 POWER SUPPLY
Alps Blue Velvet Pots (GREAT FEEL SMOOTH)
Carbon film resistors, Metalized Polyester film caps,
TLO72 IC, Alps Blue Velvet Pots
YOU’RE CHOICE OF KNOB;
UREI 1620 / BOZAK / RLA STYLE BLUE, GREEN, RED,

MORE INFO ON THE UNITS;
Low 16 Hz – 250 Hz
16 Hz there is no 20 or 30 Hz filter in the circuit
7.7 DB of Gain with low pot fully clockwise
Mid 250 Hz – 4k
7.5 DB of Gain with mid pot fully clockwise
High 4k – 20k
7.5 DB of Gain with high pot fully clockwise

WITH AN ADDITIONAL EFFECT LOOP
ON / OFF / MOMENTERY
GREAT FOR ANY EFFECT INSERT (PIONEER- EFX500 –ECT..)
The effects loop same in or out
NO CHANGE / NO DIFF IN OUND

UNIT PRICE IS $895.00

For more info contact me @
djmariog@aol.com

GSA installs the THE ISO-3001 ISOLATOR @
Water Taxi Beach
2 Borden Ave, LIC NY 11101

Louie Vega - MAY 23 -

Victor Franco & Friends May 9, 16, 23, 30 - June 6, 13, 20
May 29 - Turntables

Boris May 31

Danny Tenaglia June 14

Sander Kleinenberg June 28

Rob's Big Gay Party, All Day June 29

Victor Franco & Friends September 12, 19, 25, -
October 3, 10

I will post pics soon

Have a great summer ALL...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
GSA installs the THE ISO-3001 ISOLATOR @
Water Taxi Beach
2 Borden Ave, LIC NY 11101

Louie Vega - MAY 23 -

Victor Franco & Friends May 9, 16, 23, 30 - June 6, 13, 20
May 29 - Turntables

Boris May 31

Danny Tenaglia June 14

Sander Kleinenberg June 28

Rob's Big Gay Party, All Day June 29

Victor Franco & Friends September 12, 19, 25, -
October 3, 10

I will post pics soon

Have a great summer ALL...

Also saw it at the Water Taxi Beach in The South Street Seaport this weekend for Nicky Siano. Wrote a small review at the link below. Cheers.

http://www.nokturnalist.com/everythi...t-seaport.html
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Gsa Isolator Hits Another Hot Spot In Ny City Water Taxi South Sea Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooby
Also saw it at the Water Taxi Beach in The South Street Seaport this weekend for Nicky Siano. Wrote a small review at the link below. Cheers.

http://www.nokturnalist.com/everythi...t-seaport.html

Gary did the install last week not fully finished. I spent the day with him on Friday had some fun the man knows audio and installs.

Another job well done by GSA.

Only big big big problem can not go over 102 db.
They shut the subs off on Sat.

ALSO console will be installed this week

CONGRATS MR. STEWART

I will post some pics soon

Mario G
Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Hi All

We did 3 clubs in Sydney that had the PDS/SDX 3 way crossovers and the PDS/SDX 5000 DJ EQs. They were GAS, ARQ and Home.

Since them GAS has closed, Home has replaced it's system with a Vertec and VRX Line Array to accommodate live performances and ARQ is the only one that is still in tact. There has been a couple of changes in the processing at ARQ and we have not looked after it for around 6 years but essentially, the system in the main room is what it was when we first installed it in 2000.

George
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Victor Franco & Louie Vega @ the Water Taxi Beach on THE GSA ISO3001 ISOLATOR

Here is a great piciture with Victor Franco & Louie Vega @ the Water Taxi Beach jammin on the GSA ISOLATOR. Look at what a great time there having.

Last edited by djmariog : 06-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Here is a great piciture with Victor Franco & Louie Vega @ the Water Taxi Beach jammin on the GSA ISOLATOR. Look at what a great time there having.

Last edited by djmariog : 06-02-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM

I will be posting some pics of WATER TAXI SOUTH STREET SEAPORT.
Another GSA INSTALL AND ANOTHER GSA ISO3001 ISOLATOR IN NY CITY HOT SPOT.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

OUTSTANDING!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
OUTSTANDING!

AN EMAIL FROM VICTOR ....

"It's the best Isolator I've played on ... it sounds amazing. Water Taxi Beach
could have bought anything ... there's a reason we have the GSA unit. Everyone
that's played there loves it. Check out the pics with Louie Vega, Lou Gorbea,
Duce Martinez."

Victor Franco
Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 PM

Shout out to my boy DUCE. He was killing it that night.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Stavropo
Hi All

We did 3 clubs in Sydney that had the PDS/SDX 3 way crossovers and the PDS/SDX 5000 DJ EQs. They were GAS, ARQ and Home.

Since them GAS has closed, Home has replaced it's system with a Vertec and VRX Line Array to accommodate live performances and ARQ is the only one that is still in tact. There has been a couple of changes in the processing at ARQ and we have not looked after it for around 6 years but essentially, the system in the main room is what it was when we first installed it in 2000.

George

went to ARQ for the first time a few weeks back,sound was awesome, definitely one of the finest permanent club installs in Sydney, only other one that comes near is the one in the Civic Underground - which is all Klipsch and a A&H V6, beautiful to play on, you dont even need to turn on the monitors!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM

I know this is not ISO-3001X related, but it is Water Beach Taxi related -- check out this article in today's Boston Globe. This is the crap we have to deal with in our no-fun city. 75dB noise limits on a terrible outdoor venue (no GSA install here, trust.).

-b
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
I know this is not ISO-3001X related, but it is Water Beach Taxi related -- check out this article in today's Boston Globe. This is the crap we have to deal with in our no-fun city. 75dB noise limits on a terrible outdoor venue (no GSA install here, trust.).

-b
For you, the doctor prescribes a nice 4 day weekend in NY, June or July, you will be able to WATER TAXI, to the GSA sound at the South St Seaport, you can Coney Island on sat or sun afternoons, with baking on the beach, dancing on the boardwalk, ice cold brew and a Nathans hot dog or 2, ass bumping at the Eldorado Bumper cars, and nighclubbing in NYC, and if ya get lucky, some loving too!

We can't move NY to you, but your welcome to join NY and partake in the summer festivities with us!

And hey, IN NYC we even talk louder than 75db!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 PM

I think it has already been asked, but how would this unit sound off of the unbalanced outs from a mixer, my Audioarts 5200a in particular?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:22 AM

I Bought one off Mario for a client of mine and i ran it up after the master out of my MP24 and it sounded great on my NS10's powered by my DC300a in my studio and thats saying something as i am the only person i know who likes the sound of my monitor setup!!!!