About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg75
Hey Mario,

Do you have some more pics of the install GSA did in Costa Rica?
We want to see some massive stacks!
and I see GSA is using the Rane now.

thanks!
hahahahahahahaha yo good eye mg75 i did not even think about the Rane mixer.
Lmao.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 PM

I just got home and found a nice little surprise. My unit has arived. I litterally just walked in the door so its too soon to say anything yet. I'm gonna stuff my fat face and then go install it when I'm done. Comments to come shortly.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 AM

Well, after installing the unit and playing on it for a couple hours I have decided that I need to really get used to it and live with it for a while before I comment on it. I think the best way I can give an honest fair evaluation of the piece is to put in some real time on it, so thats what I'm going to do.

Baba Booey!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg75
Hey Mario,

Do you have some more pics of the install GSA did in Costa Rica?
We want to see some massive stacks!
and I see GSA is using the Rane now.

thanks!

GSA First installation in Costa Rica
THE DEN

The international Super Star DJs that play in Costa Rica Have a rider that must be met the clubs technical team. There for the club have five DJ mixers such as RANE 2016A WITH XP, PIONEER DJM 800, PIONEER DJM 1000, A&H ZONE 92 & a custom designed GSA UREI 1620. Its not GSAS choice which mixer is used.

ITS THE CHOICE OF THE SUPERSTAR DJS

GSA 1st CHOICE IS STILL THE UREI 1620

There will pictures posted soon of The DEN and also...
VERTIGO

Vertigo will have the usual 3 - DJ console with 2 mixers that could be used simultaneously & also multiple isolators and patch bays.

ANOTHER GREAT JOB BY GSA
MR. GARY STEWART

Last edited by djmariog : 12-23-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmariog
GSA 1st CHOICE IS STILL THE UREI 1620

What happens if that Urie goes down at 2AM on a Saturday night with a packed house? Especially in one of the installs in far off places like this new install in Costa Rica or the one in Singapore? Surely parts for a long discontinued mixer like the Urei are not going to be readily avalable ESPECIALLY in that part of the world. And it's not like Gary could be called in at a moments notice at a club half way around the world.

We all know the Urei is a very special mixer and soundwise still one of the best, but its been discontinued for over 14 or 15 years now and its not like parts are readily avalable. I would think at some point Gary wwould be left with no choice but to start using a a mixer that is currently in production and has a WARRANTY as a new piece.

Baba Booey!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM

parts for the Urei are pretty much available...
except the black beauty pots, right?

besides doesn't everyone have a few spare mixers hanging around?

as a side note, if a mixer went down in Denver at 2AM, no one would care
as the bars are already closed.... except the very few afterhours locations

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 12-24-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
What happens if that Urie goes down at 2AM on a Saturday night with a packed house? Especially in one of the installs in far off places like this new install in Costa Rica or the one in Singapore? Surely parts for a long discontinued mixer like the Urei are not going to be readily avalable ESPECIALLY in that part of the world. And it's not like Gary could be called in at a moments notice at a club half way around the world.

We all know the Urei is a very special mixer and soundwise still one of the best, but its been discontinued for over 14 or 15 years now and its not like parts are readily avalable. I would think at some point Gary wwould be left with no choice but to start using a a mixer that is currently in production and has a WARRANTY as a new piece.

Kevin,

Why do you say there a problem getting parts (readily avalable)? Parts are accessible and I stock most of them. I stated that there is a staff there that could change out any mixer, & GSA could and has installed many types of mixers in there sound systems. You also state what if a mixer goes down? What if the Rane goes down do you think they want to send it in for a warranty repair that could take months to repair. I have repaired a few Rane 2016a in the past few months, any mixer could go down and to this day GSA has not seen a mixer go down that the night could not go on.

Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas & Happy New Yaer
Mario G.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Kevin,

Why do you say there a problem getting parts (readily avalable)? Parts are accessible and I stock most of them. I stated that there is a staff there that could change out any mixer, & GSA could and has installed many types of mixers in there sound systems. You also state what if a mixer goes down? What if the Rane goes down do you think they want to send it in for a warranty repair that could take months to repair. I have repaired a few Rane 2016a in the past few months, any mixer could go down and to this day GSA has not seen a mixer go down that the night could not go on.

Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas & Happy New Yaer
Mario G.

Well, first of all its just a question, no big deal. I realise YOU stock them, but your in New Jersey, I'm asking specifically regarding installs in the far corners of the world where you would need to ship them and it would take some time to recieve them.

As for them having staff on hand to change the mixer, ok fair play there. Would the system need to be re-tuned at all though? I only ask because differnt mixers are voiced different and I would think that the system would be tuned/eq'd specifically around a certain mixer. I could be wrong though, I'm certainly no expert.

I guess if it were me buying a high dollar install my main issue with a Urei as the main mixer would just be that its a used product, not a brand new product with warranty etc. But thats just my oppinion. To be fair though having a Urei on hand as an option would be nice I just don't know about as the main mixer.

P.S. The ISO arrived on Monday. Still too early to comment however I've put about 5 hours of use on it so far. Once I've had more time on it I will post my thoughts on it. Thanks man.

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 12-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM

warranties don't mean anything other than the manufacturer will repair/replace your defective unit... right?

I know of several people locally that have had issues, right out of the box, with brand new gear...
although they were able to rectify the situation quickly...
it dosen't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling about the products...

also, I don't know about Costa Rica in particular, but i do know that in many of the "less developed" (even "third world") places, service for though hole
type circuit boards is readily available, and parts/components are too...

moreso than with SMT type boards from what i understand...

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 12-24-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:20 PM

costa rica is third worl...
Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 PM

anywhere outside of the states is considered third world to them lol
Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Umm HELLO, ONLY everywhere today DJ RIDERS specify RANE or XONE mixers, any business must give client the product they want, and also selling new products, not ebay or used, even tho Marios Ureis are TOPS, clients just ' want OLD gear. NEW NEW NEW!

DJ,s demand the Rane, XONE, even PIONEER! Honestly both the urei and rane sound good, different but good, the rane does some things right, that the urei does not, and the urei still has something no products today have, BUT, BASS IS TIGHT with the Rane mixer, and the midrange tone pot did come in handy.

Im ABing 1620 vs 2016, we shall see, let the chips fall wherever they do.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:32 PM

However, we CAN make processors with a certain sonic character, and XOVER HAVE LOTS TO DO WITH SUBJECTIVE SOUND EQ,s too!

I mean to say I know the old urei has some tonal traits, but you can get great results from any decent mixer, processing is MOST IMPORTANT!

MUCH FLAVOR IN FINAL FILTER STAGES AND ALSO EQ HAVE FLAVOR!

Now things of the past that are NLA well, like white Urei and Altec processing they are GONE!

But we find todays thing that will work too, example, a economically priced stereo 1/3 oct cut/boost EQ that I think just sounds better than BSS, KT or Rane EQ,s is the DBX 2231, around $600US! Its kust nice, no it ain't no whatever with however from wherever, made to specs of no-other, BUT ITS A NICE SOUNDING EQ for a decent price, and takes balanced or unbal signal. AND IMHO, KILLS many more double the cost EQ,s!

Have a nice evening gents, gotta go get some OK? NIGHT FELLAS!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 PM

OH and....

Just to say so, YOU GUYS LIKE THE 1620LE?

OH NOT IN MY SYSTEM OOOO NOOO!

The Rane 2015A stomps the Urei 1620LE, JAILHOUSE BEATDOWN!!

IF I do the urei trip, the ORIGINAL is the ONLY WAY I GO!

The 1620LE has tons of drive, it is true, and THAT IS ALL IT HAS! Metallic sounding, bass is cloudy, BUT BIG. NO WAY, tho!

Guys send me what your smoking so maybe I HEAR THE LE, TOO??

Friday ORIGINAL 1620 to try, see how that works?

Bozak I like with records, Disco ones, NOT for electronic dance of now IMO, y`all do as you please!

I do like the Rane 2016A with the digital music, and I do like the old 1620 using TLO74 with todays digi muse!

Thru the Rane I love the GSA Iso, but with the LE its a whole different matter, but it ain't the GSA, FRONT END GUYS! Makes all the difference in the world! And IF you have ENOUGH gain in your crossovers THEN try the booth outs on the old obsolete 1620, and come talk to me!

Don't ask me about my gain, go figure it out, it can be done! Do the work!

Then you'll get close to what I do! And why I use something and it sounds great for me,. and others cant match results.

On the Rane the house outs are where it's at, but I got a few more tricks to pull out of my hat!

GSA IS STILL ROCKING MY HOUSE! 1216 Surf Av!

When and IF I LEAVE AND ELDORADO GOES INTO the ANALS OF HISTORY, you will MISS THIS PLACE! I don't know what it is about this spot, it always had it, still does, must be the dead indians buried under me, but it happens in here, and the GSA is HAPPENING TOO!

How don't take it wrong Im not knocking no other products, HEY, GOOD shit available! How long did we wait?

So, fuk it, big world room for all, WORK to Keep top of hill staus!

Awwrite, rant ova!

Lady hottness is coming and Ill be back Friday, BYEEEEEEEEEEE!

Merry XXXMAS, some Victorias Secret in your ladies stockings will get you everywhere!

Syonara, c`ya!

Last edited by clubman5 : 12-25-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 PM

What happens if that Urie goes down at 2AM on a Saturday night with a packed house?

With that list of consoles available for use, if a board goes down a swap could easily be done. Most clubs have some kind of a spare mixer on a shelf somewhere.

Anyway, its unlikely for a mixer completely go down, one input could go out, one of the outputs (L or R) dies, headphone out blows, etc. The night can usually be finished out by an on the ball DJ.

Of course, if the board smokes because the drunken DJ dumps his drink into, he deserves to lose his sound/room/night. This happens more than folks realize. 90% of the turntables I repair (on average 15/month) are flushed with booze.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
Of course, if the board smokes because the drunken DJ dumps his drink into, he deserves to lose his sound/room/night. This happens more than folks realize. 90% of the turntables I repair (on average 15/month) are flushed with booze.

Hicuuup!

My Beloved Wife
Old 12-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Esteemed Mr. Fitlin!
Please please please try the Bozak with the 3001!
i'm a bozak user and just want to know your opinion on the sound.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicanvil
Esteemed Mr. Fitlin!

I have the GSA Isolator with the Bozak mixer and the sound is excellent. The isolator is transparent at unity gain, it will not color the sound of the Bozak or any mixer. The two pieces are more like knife and fork, alone they work fine, once together, inseparable.

My Beloved Wife
Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 AM

GSA ISO3001 Shipped To Italy to Be Used With Bozak Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicanvil
Esteemed Mr. Fitlin!

GSA ISO3001

Here is a unit that was shipped to ITALY & he is going to be using it with his Bozak DLA mixer. Customer requested larger knobs. This unit I put RLA / Richard Long style knobs but larger in red. These knobs are still available and from the same factory Richard used. This is also GSA preference of knobs; he started using these knobs on the isolators in the night club named LOVE in NY CITY. The knob consists of pointer, base, washer, screw & cap. I personally like to match my mixer weather its a Urei or Bozak.

THANKS TO ALL & HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Mario G
Old 12-26-2008, 10:38 AM

After Playing with the GSA iso3001 At my home studio for a few weeks I decided to Install it in my System @ Dish for our Christmas party. I really love the feel, look and frequency cuts on the GSA unit, I give it an A+. Also the effect control switch on the front panel is a GREAT feature! I run my Pioneer efx500 thru that switch. A few of my Dj friends were there and Really Were Diggin The unit! Great job Mario and Gary!!

Henry

Last edited by thedjay : 12-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
GSA ISO3001

Here is a unit that was shipped to ITALY & he is going to be using it with his Bozak DLA mixer. Customer requested larger knobs. This unit I put RLA / Richard Long style knobs but larger in red. These knobs are still available and from the same factory Richard used. This is also GSA preference of knobs; he started using these knobs on the isolators in the night club named LOVE in NY CITY. The knob consists of pointer, base, washer, screw & cap. I personally like to match my mixer weather it’s a Urei or Bozak.

THANKS TO ALL & HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Mario G

Everybody's getting these colored knobs! Yo Mario, how come you didn't show me the colored knobs?

My Beloved Wife

Last edited by Dj Greg G : 12-26-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjay
After Playing with the GSA iso3001 At my home studio for a few weeks I decided to Install it in my System @ Dish for our Christmas party. I really love the feel, look and frequency cuts on the GSA unit, I give it an A+. Also the effect control switch on the front panel is a GREAT feature! I run my Pioneer efx500 thru that switch. A few of my Dj friends were there and Really Were Diggin The unit! Great job Mario and Gary!!

Henry

Henry, did you get the colored Knobs too?

My Beloved Wife
Old 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Hi Scott, Any suggestions on "helping" the LE sound more like the original or is it a lost cause and just doesn't have what it takes. I do like my LE but I prefer it with vinyl.. I couldn't afford an older Urei 1620 When I purchased the new one I'd say I'm really happy with the feel of the mixer but am always looking for ways to upgrade my sound if it's cost effective. I have always looked for an isolator and this GSA unit looks great and has gotten a lot of people taking notice. You seem to be genuinely excited about what it does for your system

If buying a Rane 2016A or an older 1620 would be better than trying to 'fix' the Urei LE's sound by adding something or doing mods, I may one day. I have an emotional attachment to the 1620 that may be considered unhealthy.. Have you tried the DJR 400 and if so can you comment on how it relates to the others.. namely, Bozak, 1620, 1620LE, Rane 2016.

Your advice and comments are always taken into account with me because I know you're passionate about sound (and I'm glad to hear you have time for the ladies too )

All the best for the holidays to all the Wave board members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
Just to say so, YOU GUYS LIKE THE 1620LE?

OH NOT IN MY SYSTEM OOOO NOOO!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Yes i Have the GSA red Knobs. Im sure Mario can send you a set of colored knobs for your unit! Everybody like different looks, Mario likes to keep the Urei look on his unit, I like to add some color!

Henry
Old 12-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
Everybody's getting these colored knobs! Yo Mario, how come you didn't show me the colored knobs?

Greg,

You could stop by tomorrow (AM) & I will change the knobs to blue. I do not have any red left. I will tell ya the blue make the unit sound even better (Lol).

Here is a photo of a unit I shipped to Germany.