Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM

Audio Technica ATP-2XN set up

hi there, hoping someone can help.

I've got some new ATP-2XN cartidges, to be housed in a technics headshell on a pair of Technics 1210's.

I'm really struggling to find any info on the web for the correct set up. Can someone tell me what the weight, position, anti skate setting should be ?
or point me in the right direction ?

cheers
Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM

To align the cartridge properly in the head shell you'll need an alignment tool. Some on this board have used the Geo Disc available at Needledoctor.com. I used a tool that was mirror that has lines on it for the cartridge location. Someone once posted a link to a alignment tool that you can print out for free. All of these tools work buy locating the needle tip at different reference points on the platter. The reason for the alignment tool is it gets the needle aligned properly so that that it is perpendicular to the grooves in the record. Aligning the needle is something that is overlooked to much in the DJ world. You will be pleasantly surprised when you find out how well a properly aligned needled works, and sounds. For the weight read the paperwork that came with the cartilage for the proper weight range. Set your tone arm so it is parallel to the record, and your antiskate to 0. Enjoy.
Allen
Old 09-16-2006, 05:11 AM

That printable tool is probably the best out there, because it has two different spots that you must align without moving the tool. Worked great, until I lost it. Pay close attention to resonances...you may need to add or subtract mass from the arm to get any cart to track well. The cart should track fine at 3grams and max antiskate, but it has better highs at a lower downforce. Personally I find those carts to be fairly lumpy with every preamp I've tried them on. Great detail in the upper mids and tight bass, though.

Last edited by Reticuli : 09-16-2006 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:41 PM

any links to where we can find this printable alignment tool?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Citizen

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/protractor1.pdf

I agree with Reticuli that this tool is pretty good. I have used this and a factory made Ortofon tool. Both of them give the same result, which I guess means they're pretty reliable or in worst case are both very wrong, but I doubt that. Just pay close attention when cutting out the hole for the spindle in the free tool and make sure you print it on a thicker type of paper.

/Daniel
Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 AM

Thanks guys, will check out the alignment tool.

Regarding the height, am I correct in thinking that the tone arm has to be perfectly horizontal when the needle is on the record ? Therefore time to get the spirit level out ? Lost my old technics manuals years ago and can't find anything saying what the correct height should be.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 PM

Well you can't put a level on the tonearm. You pretty much just have to eye it. If you're using less weight than needed you may need a lower tonarm. More weight, higher tonearm. And some records would like slightly different VTA. But generally speaking a level arm will give you the intended average perfomance. If it's level, the mixer's main signal path and its phono pre's will have more of an effect on a cartridge's sound than 1mm either way.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_tree
Thanks guys, will check out the alignment tool.

Regarding the height, am I correct in thinking that the tone arm has to be perfectly horizontal when the needle is on the record ? Therefore time to get the spirit level out ? Lost my old technics manuals years ago and can't find anything saying what the correct height should be.

Cheers

For the manual click here. http://www.deepattitude.com/images/p...e%20Manual.pdf