Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:38 PM

Lets see some pictures

Lets see some pictures of everyones setup. Here is my console that I've been working on all summer.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console new.jpg (81.1 KB, 7864 views)

Last edited by allen : 08-17-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Senior Citizen

Great Job Allen!!!
That Console looks great. Just one question. What's that thingie between the 1200's??? Is it a shaver or a telephone?

/Daniel
Old 08-17-2004, 06:44 AM

Its the for the motor

Thanks. The thing between the tables is for the linear actuator that adjust the angle.

Allen
Old 08-17-2004, 06:59 PM
goldmember

Send a message via AIM to djrobertchristofer
Here's mine. Not as cool as allen's (*makes envious look), but it gets the job done - and it only cost like $30 to make hehehe....

So allen, how did you get the console to adjust? Was it a lot of work making it? Was it expensive?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg im001161.sized.jpg.jpeg (63.9 KB, 7466 views)
Old 08-17-2004, 08:27 PM

It's not that hard

It's not hard at all to make a motorized console. It just requires more attention to braceing and allowing for the movment. The front angle part is hinged and is moved using a linear actuator that i got off ebay for $70 shipped. I think the acutator is intended for a bed. It inclued the remote and no special wireing was requred. The total cost was under 300 including the ectra piece of laminate that i had to buy cause i messed up onece. About 50 for the wood, 70 for the motor and around 150 for the 2 sheets of black laminate with all the gule, trimmer, and routher bit. Here is another pic of the underside.
Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg consloe small.jpg (56.0 KB, 7020 views)
Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 PM

Good looking console! I hope to have mine designed and completed in a few months, so I'll post pictures then. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

First, was the actuator designed to mount on a pivot, and did that hardware come with it, or did you have to improvise? I've looked for actuators before at suppliers like McMaster-Carr, but never really had that question answered.

Secondly, do most actuators come with adjustable limit switches, or do you have to design the geometry of the hinged part to accomodate whatever the throw is?

Finally, what is a reasonable throw rate and load rating for this kind of application. i.e. How fast is yours and is it just right, or too fast/slow?

~Jason
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 PM

Linear actuator

I got mine off ebay. There is the exact same one up now from the same guy. Its a 10 in stroke which the way i mounted mine goes form slightly more than 45 deg to level. I could adjust the mounting point to get more angle if i wanted. The actuator i got is just right. It has built in limit switces at the ends so it stops at full extention and retraction automatically. I can also stop it any where inbetween. It moves nice and slow so getting it to the desired angle is no problem. At the ends it has holes for a pin or bolt. I had to make my own hardware but that wasn't hard at all. Mounting it is straight forward. On one end you can see i used 2 L brackets and at the other i used a staight bar. I drilled the holes out some to accomate the larger bolt. And on the L's i cut the some with a hack saw so at full retraction it didn't interfear with the body of the actuator. I looked at grainger and mcmaster car at first but found for the price I got alot more with the one off ebay, and i also like it comes with all you need. Just add bateries for the remote and plug it in. Check out this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3856 776&rd=1

Allen
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 PM

Sold!! Thanks for the link. Jeez, talk about heavy duty...6000 Newtons is like 12000 Lbs.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:16 PM

yeah

Yeah its got alot of power when i first set up my console the rack i had under it was too hight beasause i had it on wheels. When i frist lowered the front angel it contacted the rack and lifted my entire console no problem. You definatly have to be careful to rout the wires where they can't get pinched becase the actuator has no problem when something gets in its way.

Allen
Old 08-18-2004, 02:53 AM

Allen,

Looks NICE!!

What is on the top left of the rack? They look they VU meters.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Citizen

Ok guys, my turn
Not as tidy and great looking as the other guys' custom made units, but still gets the job done...
The mixer hooked up in this picture is the A&H Xone:62 and the other mixers in the picture are a Formula Sound PM90 and a Formula Sound System 2000.

/D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setupweb.jpg (97.4 KB, 6281 views)
Old 08-18-2004, 04:45 PM

the are vu's

Yes i have 2 symetrix vu's in my consloe.

allen
Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Citizen

Re: the are vu's

Quote:
Originally posted by allen
Yes i have 2 symetrix vu's in my consloe.

allen

Hey Allen

How are these vu's hooked up to your stuff, in other words what are you metering? Main out, rec out, from the crossover or any other output?

/D
Old 08-19-2004, 07:00 PM

Here is how

Daniel, that is an awsome record collection, and those mixers look cool. Not quite up to that many records yet but alwasy wooking at it. I have the vu's hooked up after my crossover to monitor the levels. I have one on my full out and one on the tweeter out of my crossover, each just Y'ed into the signal. I don't have one on subs becuase i don't run a sub. My room is small and I am happy with the the sound so far with out a sub but will probally add one some day. Any more questoins let me know.

Allen
Old 08-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Well, here is my setup as it looked 6 month ago. I changed the Pioneer since then and now have a Vestax Isolator instead.

I think I might be the only one in Denmark who has a Bozak mixer. Rotary mixers definately doesn't come by the pound in europe. I got my first Bozak thanks to all the talk about them in this very fine board. I just had to try it out, and I must say that I really like it alot. The first bozak I got of ebay, and it didn't have any phono preamps. So I later bought another one and had it shipped straight to Mario for a complete refurbishing. And it's even better than the first one. Obviously. :-)

Last edited by mortenfresh : 08-20-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:39 PM

Mortenfresh, nice to see bozaks from arround the world. Cool setup. What do your friends think of it when they stop by.

Allen
Old 08-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Senior Citizen

Re: Here is how

Quote:
Originally posted by allen
Daniel, that is an awsome record collection, and those mixers look cool. Not quite up to that many records yet but alwasy wooking at it.

Thanks for the compliment Allen, my collection consists of a little over 4000 records and the it is still growing. As a little tip for other vinyl junkies; The shelves I store my records in are "Bonde" from Ikea. These are great for storing vinyl, since they are very stable and the size of the compartments are just perfect for 12" vinyl.

Morten, your setup looks awesome as well. I'm pretty sure you're one of a lucky few in Europe to have a Bozak. What happened to your first Bozak then, do you still have it or did you sell it?

/D
Old 08-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Here's mine, nothing fancy:

Last edited by mynameismatt : 10-09-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:49 PM

acutator

Allen,

I ordered 3 acutator's came the next day, quick shipping.
Lets get to work Allen, come over the shop ready to build mine going to put a night club in the new home I building.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:08 PM

Re: acutator

Quote:
Originally posted by djmariog
Allen,

I ordered 3 acutator's came the next day, quick shipping.
Lets get to work Allen, come over the shop ready to build mine going to put a night club in the new home I building.
Hey Mario, what will you call this club in your home? The " G " Spot?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:37 PM

lets do it

Mario,

I'll give you a call tommrow. It looks like rain, so I might get the day off.

Allen
Old 08-21-2004, 06:32 AM

Re: lets do it

Scotty,

I like it THE G SPOT ,

Allen call me
Old 08-21-2004, 10:25 AM

Allen,

Most of my frinds thought I was more or less crazy to buy an old antique mixer like this but as soon as i had it hooked up and they could actually hear the difference they were all quite amazed. As I mentioned earlier rotary mixer was never the big thing over here, so people had to get used to not using regular faders. Actually a friend of mine from Berlin asked me if he could use my setup to prepare his set for the evening, and was very surprised by how much control he had on a rotary. :-)

Daniels,

My first Bozak got sold on ebay. I got currious about the Urei so I bought one to try it out as well.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
Morten

Did you build that console yourself? And if so, do you have the plans for it? Looks wicked, I've been thinking of building a proper one myself.

Also, does that poster really say "The Gay Park"?
Old 08-21-2004, 11:44 AM

Check out

the pics in the picture section on my site at www.systemsbyshorty.com

I have all the gear labeled aswell so you see exactly what im using in my home system.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 08-21-2004 at 11:47 AM.