Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Nice Urei

Beautiful. Only drawbacks are the low serial number and the fact that they've conveniently left out top and side shots of the condition of the chasis. The price is high too, then again it's unique and someone might bite.

URL's not taking, just do a "Pimped Urei" search on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UREI-1620-MIXER-PIMPED-OUT-BLUE-FACE-ALUMINUM-KNOBS-W-W_W0QQitemZ7375945079QQcategoryZ101985QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Criscodisco : 12-18-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Wow, thats sweet!! Price is too high <for me>, but its nice to look at. Where does thiss guy get his stuff???

Last edited by jnkarrik : 12-18-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnkarrik
Wow, thats sweet!! Price is too high, but its nice to look at. Where does thiss guy get his stuff???

Thats nice !
Old 12-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Samplaholic

AAAAAAAAAHHHH! OOOOOOOHHHH! DAAAAAAAMN!

I wanna touch it. The one shot where the knobs look gold is a thing of beauty. Who does this work?
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Check out the hot glue and the wires for the retro fit for the alps pots from nobil.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djmariog
Check out the hot glue and the wires for the retro fit for the alps pots from nobil.

wires b/c the pots don't fit the board and hot glue to make 'em stay in place?

Is hot glue normal practice for retro fitting pots?

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 12-19-2005, 01:19 AM

for future ref...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg urei1620blue01small.jpg (72.6 KB, 611 views)

Old 12-19-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by louped garou
for future ref...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg urei1620blue04small.jpg (95.7 KB, 580 views)

Old 12-19-2005, 06:50 AM

Urei on steroids

I'm really sorry but I don't see any reason to spend 2.500 USD on a "glued" mixer.
That's the first bad thing I've noticed on that Urei on steroids.
Honestly I feel really tired about "vintage at any cost"...

www.mickmusicpage.net
Old 12-19-2005, 01:24 PM

I have the the boards for the alps pots. I also have rca input boards and face plates (black & silver) on order will be in a few weeks.

Mario G
djmariog@aol.com
Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM

It is a stock 1984 urei, and looks intact electronically, the earlier ureis are my favorite ureis! TLO84,s so this is a good sounding unit, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM

Angry Sad State of Affairs

I have sat on the sidelines and watched while some folks hate on things then use that same item as a spring board for their own personal gain/advertisement. HELLO IS THERE A MODERATOR IN HERE? Haters and animosity are some of the reasons why the house and club music scene suffers here in the USA while hip hop and other forms of music thrive in spite of their own short comings.

"Why Can't We Live Together" - Timmy Thomas
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 PM

Re: Sad State of Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by TrueGaragehead
I have sat on the sidelines and watched while some folks hate on things then use that same item as a spring board for their own personal gain/advertisement. HELLO IS THERE A MODERATOR IN HERE? Haters and animosity are some of the reasons why the house and club music scene suffers here in the USA while hip hop and other forms of music thrive in spite of their own short comings.

Hi, Im Scott and I am the moderator! There was no malicious intent with posting on this thread, just a bit of DIY info. We love the urei, especially ureis with TLO84,s and Frako power supply caps, at least I do, and thats what this mixer on Ebay has, so it is a good sounding unit, this I know, this is what im using and have been for the longest!

We arent trying to hate on anyone, but I saw something, I posted, you know? Trtuhtfully, there are less and less older ureis, and one day there will be no more, unless someone is selling theirs, but most that have em, keep em, so in light of what was said earlier, this mixer is in fact a worthwhile mixer to buy, because its a good sounding mixer, and gettin harder and harder to come by!

Hopefully, this helps to straighten out the misunderstanding!

Hating? No. DIY info? Yes! Taking your feelings into consideration as well? Yes!

Heres to having a better day, than the way it started! Cool?

Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM

What thread are you reading

Quote:
Originally posted by TrueGaragehead

I re-read this entire thread, and still can't find where all the hatin' is going on. It looks like most people like this mixer, or at least enjoy seeing something slightly different.

A few people (myself include) have pointed out that $2500 is about a thousand dollars more than the going rate for a Urei, but thats about it.

IMO, this is a pretty friendly forum in general - especially compared to other forums I frequent. At least I've never been scared to post for fear of being flamed.

Oh, and welcome to the Board.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM

The only possible hatin' is from the accuser.

Ureis on Ebay in mint condition are going for around $1,800-$2,000, this one's in good condition, so the price would probably be a little lower than that. Thus the price is only about, oh, just under 1K above what it should be, except for the face plate and knobs.

Last edited by Criscodisco : 12-20-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Re: What thread are you reading

TrueGaragehead,

I do apologize if you felt I insulted you. I am impressed on how you installed the Alps pots. I have retro fitted the alps by drilling out the boards, which is a nightmare. I now have the panels for the switch to Alps. I do understand why you are asking the price as I have sold and seen mixers sell for 2000.00 and more. This is truly a one of a kind mixer and I am sure you have much time into the unit.

I also have posted many times on what I have on hand for all the urei /bozak lovers for parts and supplies which are no longer available. This is a way to help the users on this form and to keep there bozak and urei mixers alive. If there is ever a time I could help you please contact me @ djmariog@aol.com

Welcome to the board and Happy Holidays

Mario G.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:41 AM

It might be a lot of money but the sucker looks impressive and there has been a lot put into it,
try buying an old UREI and paying someone to even replace all the pots and you would be looking at
roughly the same money not to mention a new faceplate and rca sockets.

If it wasn’t so close to “everyone want’s an f@*king present & I have to be nice to the family”
Christmas bloody holidays, I would love to include it in my collection of toys.

Mmmmm if only I wasn’t broke.

But blue doesn’t go with my eyes!!
Does it come in brown??

You would have to paint some SL1200’s to match of cause…… my blue decks are to dark to suite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010050.jpg (83.3 KB, 449 views)
Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Brown? Yuk! The colors they're using are gorgeous, a lot nicer than the Urei LE's.

I have to admit that since it's been gone-over with new pots, etc. the value is closer to the asking price. I'd still go with a higher serial no. and we can't see the condition of the chassis, though.

Last edited by Criscodisco : 12-20-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 PM

One of the niceste looking rework on Ureis i´ve ever saw.

Soundcraft should have made this kinda of aproach to the "new" Urei.
Fresh looks and great sound seems intersting

Just my opinion...
Old 12-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Agreed, that would have been a nice color scheme for the LE, which looks ghettofied.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
It is a stock 1984 urei, and looks intact electronically, the earlier ureis are my favorite ureis! TLO84,s ...

does anyone know (and willing to share):
when did UREI move away from the TL084s to the Tl074s?,
when did the frako caps go bye bye (what was the replacement?)
when did UREI do away with the IC sockets on the phono cards?

and is hot glue normal to use for "hack jobs" (even good ones) where the replacement/upgrade components do not fit into the original PCB holes?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
does anyone know (and willing to share):
when did UREI move away from the TL084s to the Tl074s?,
when did the frako caps go bye bye (what was the replacement?)
when did UREI do away with the IC sockets on the phono cards?

and is hot glue normal to use for "hack jobs" (even good ones) where the replacement/upgrade components do not fit into the original PCB holes?

Thanks!
Urei began using the TLO74 in the late 80,s, everyone was moving away from the TLO84, the 74 has a lower noise floor, and was considered to be a better IC technically.

I am not sure when or why they stopped using the Frako caps in the power supply, but I really only see them in the older units! Frako was still making them at the time, my guess is they went to a lower priced capacitor. They were replaced with 470uF 50v Rubycons. Frako no longer makes these types of capacitors, and I know they do make a difference to the sound of the mixer, I have changed PS caps and heard it for myself. But, something about the way the units with the Frako caps sound.....

The IC sockets can develop problems over time, the contacts can lose their grip and become intermittent. And also, they saved a bit of money on parts! The older ureis had IC sockets in every IC location.

As I said, les and less of these units appearing, and at some point, will become very hard to come by, so if you got the dough, and thats what you want, get it!

Yes, I like the way the guy who did the retrofit with the hot glue, did the work! Its solid, its non conductive, and it works!

Last edited by clubman5 : 12-20-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
Urei began using the TLO74 in the late 80,s, everyone was moving away from the TLO84, the 74 has a lower noise floor, and was considered to be a better IC technically.

I am not sure when or why they stopped using the Frako caps in the power supply, but I really only see them in the older units! Frako was still making them at the time, my geuss is they went to a lower priced capacitor. They were replaced with 470uF 50v Rubycons. Frako no longer makes these types of capacitors, and I know they do make a difference to the sound of the mixer, I have changed PS caps and heard it for myself. But, something about the way the units with the Frako caps sound.....

The IC sockets can develop problems over time, the contacts can lose their grip and become intermittent. And also, they saved a bit of money on parts! The older ureis had IC sockets in every IC location.

As I said, les and less of these units appearing, and at some point, will become very hard to come by, so if you got the dough, and thats what you want, get it!

Yes, I like the way the guy who did the retrofit with the hot glue, did the work! Its solid, its non conductive, and it works!

Thanks a bunch Scott...

great info for History buffs -- not something you can find on history channel either!

Just for kicks... you old school NYC guys need to write a book that gets published post-humously at least (that is, if some don't want to share while you're still alive, the loss of knowledge with respect to vintage east coast sound will be a terrible loss), I would be willing to bet it would be a best seller...

at least in certain cult circles...

Last edited by louped garou : 12-20-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
You NYC guys need to write a book that gets published post-humously (that is if some don't want to share while you're still alive, the loss of knowledge with respect to vintage east coast sound will be a terrible loss), I would be willing to bet it would be a best seller...

Nuff Said! This kind of knowledge would be a great contribution for generations to come. This knowledge needs to be sustained. Maybe that's we we keep coming back to this Wave forum in the end.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:43 PM

so he just painted the face ??
what about all the white print on it??