Wave Music Home
ReleasesCommunityYour OrderWave Music
ArtistsEventsDJ MixesShop

Wave Music Home


Home
About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links




Search


Adv. Search



Subscribe


Email






Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM
charles0322 charles0322 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 696
Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Sankey's NYC

sound was so much better with GSA d36.. club is now smaller than before.. basically they put the booth on the dancefloor and vip area where the old booth was..

incubus or no incubus, 2 stacks wont cut it unless youre in the booth?

system downstairs wasnt great either, four larger stacks than what was there before.. the basement system they had at d36 was smaller and blew it away..

video to follow..

Output is the real deal and has the best system in the NYC area
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
NathanShort NathanShort is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 100
incubus or no incubus, 2 stacks wont cut it unless youre in the booth?


What does this mean?


I was involved with time and phase alignment of the Incubus system on the main floor. Challenging as this rig is really designed for a much much larger room, so every tiny detail is quite glaring.

Tuning was done during construction, and I hope to get back out there soon now that the construction mess is all cleaned up.

Do you have any technical faults with the main rig, or just the comparison?
__________________
AIS Chicago-- System Designer/System engineer www.aisaudio.com

F
Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

www.facebook.com/nathanshort

Last edited by NathanShort : 11-03-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 AM
muzikdc muzikdc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
Not to diss any system, but why wouldnt they just keep the GSA system?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2013, 02:19 PM
charles0322 charles0322 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 696
Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikdc
Not to diss any system, but why wouldnt they just keep the GSA system?

its the question I keep asking myself over and over..

no disrespect Nathan, I know you did the best you could, but there were no fills to make you immersed in the sound.. the sound was coming from the front and as you walked around the room there were clear spots where there was more bass.. its not the same as what Gary did.. you were surrounded, utterly surrounded, maybe it was overkill though, but and a big but, it was the most impressive I have experienced to date. digital or analogue. its why Pioneer made their choice imo.

they put in flashy lights and flashy speakers that def have the power but it feels like a live p/a style rig where you hear the sound from the front, not a superclub.. I did hear later that they were having problems with the sound and that not all the speakers were working??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
NathanShort NathanShort is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 100
I can verify that the main Incubus system I was flown in to tech and tune was fully operational. This includes the DJ monitors.

The rest of the club was being installed after I left.

There is a plan to add some rear fills on the dancefloor.

IMHO the club is Tiny. Thats a monstrous tank of a system to squeeze into a little room like that. I have half those subs and same tops in a much much larger room in chicago. That system will never hit half power in NYC. Mine in Chicago does hit about half power on the most busy nights. It will do 117db with no problem, so we make quite sure to not let it get that crazy.
__________________
AIS Chicago-- System Designer/System engineer www.aisaudio.com

F
Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

www.facebook.com/nathanshort
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 PM
charles0322 charles0322 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 696
Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanShort
I can verify that the main Incubus system I was flown in to tech and tune was fully operational. This includes the DJ monitors.

The rest of the club was being installed after I left.

There is a plan to add some rear fills on the dancefloor.

IMHO the club is Tiny. Thats a monstrous tank of a system to squeeze into a little room like that. I have half those subs and same tops in a much much larger room in chicago. That system will never hit half power in NYC. Mine in Chicago does hit about half power on the most busy nights. It will do 117db with no problem, so we make quite sure to not let it get that crazy.

but why two monstrous stacks with a smaller club than d36.. d36 albeit had four crazy huge stacks and wasnt that much bigger. I think they could have gone smaller with a four point Void, with less stature (perhaps less status) but the booth at Sankey's was very clean sound, Im guessing that was an airmotion system? Incubus was clean, was playing at half volume or less, peaks were very powerful at times, but 4 point stacks or at least fills is necessary.. sound needs to be all around you..

again.. I heard today that some of the speakers werent working but not sure what or where, maybe they are talking about the fills to come.

they needed you in the basement, you could have really helped down there..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
charles0322 charles0322 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 696
Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Saw this interesting article..

figured it was a good addition to this thread

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/1...nyc-nightclub/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Jason Ojeda Jason Ojeda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
I agree 100% and as the installer of the system and a veteran to many dance floors in NYC, I also believe in a 4 corner system. Air Motions were put in the following week and I am very happy with the results and the vibe you are talking about is there.

There is also changes being made this week to improve control and dynamics of the system as I put in some gear from Manley and Summit Audio.

Listen, anyone in this business knows that there is tweaking all the time, it is never done once and walk away.

Enjoy the week.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
charles0322 charles0322 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 696
Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Cool Jason, very happy you guys were able to rectify the situation for the surrounds, I love the airmotions in the booth, very little fatigue and Im sure the place is kitted out to envelope you in sound, Ill be back as soon as possible to hear the place again.

Maybe you could walk us through what you want the Summit Audio gear to accomplish in your rig, I believe you had mentioned to me it was tube compressors..

If you want my advice for downstairs have your friend Angel Moraes look it over, he has some of the best ears in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ojeda
I agree 100% and as the installer of the system and a veteran to many dance floors in NYC, I also believe in a 4 corner system. Air Motions were put in the following week and I am very happy with the results and the vibe you are talking about is there.

There is also changes being made this week to improve control and dynamics of the system as I put in some gear from Manley and Summit Audio.

Listen, anyone in this business knows that there is tweaking all the time, it is never done once and walk away.

Enjoy the week.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 PM
atf104 atf104 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 576
Send a message via AIM to atf104
Summit DCL-200. Almost magical tube compressor for nightclub use. Many on here have used to amazing results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
Cool Jason, very happy you guys were able to rectify the situation for the surrounds, I love the airmotions in the booth, very little fatigue and Im sure the place is kitted out to envelope you in sound, Ill be back as soon as possible to hear the place again.

Maybe you could walk us through what you want the Summit Audio gear to accomplish in your rig, I believe you had mentioned to me it was tube compressors..

If you want my advice for downstairs have your friend Angel Moraes look it over, he has some of the best ears in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM
JasonPaul JasonPaul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Like I told everyone else, I'll wait till everything is running and good before I comment on the system. I was a big fan of Garys work on D36 with Kenny and hope Sankeys sounds good. I saw some pictures, it's definitely an odd looking place now, not your average NYC venue. Nate fly's all over the place with his Void, he has a fun job too with those wonderful shows
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 AM
stephenk stephenk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 39
Would love to hear this system. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the clubbing black hole of Brisbane.

Interested to know why there isn't a single bass stack, as per the incubus system at Eden, Ibiza? Was DJ booth positioning the issue? Surely a single bass stack would have more even bass coverage than two bass stacks (as installed) or the much loved 4 corner style system (as per the GSA system).
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.0.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2006 Wave Music


© Wave Entertainment Group, Inc.