Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 AM

Bozak balance pots/refurbish

Actually whilst on the subject of the Bozak (See other thread) thought it would be better to create a new topic on this.

I'd like to replace all the pots on mine some time, I have 8 NOS Alps RK-40's for the inputs and outs but not sure what to get for the balance pots and eq.

I was looking for some RK27's with a centre detent and whilst I can find some which are 50k they are logarithmic, the schematics say they should be linear.

Not sure what to fit for the EQ, those are mounted on a PCB board whilst all the rest is point wiring.

Also when replacing the pots do you guys re-use the ground bus bar? Can't I just make a new one from some cable?
Also shock horror I won't re-use those carbon resistors but I'll put new ones in
And in the words of Colombo, one more thing.. Would there be any advantages to replacing the cue selector switch even though the cue signal is fine?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 AM

VJ there are a lot of good quality replacements available. My DL mixer has Alps blue velvet linear pots and my DLB has Alpha pots with a center detent. Both work fine and feel very smooth to operate even though I only use the balance to equal the L-R audio signal on some recordings. The tone pots are replacement later style A/B in one mixer and Bourns in the other. Both mixers were serviced in different years by Buzzy Beck and he installed the replacements so I feel confident on either choice you might make. My DLC has all originals in it. All three mixers have the original PA1003 cue switch and as of yet I never had a problem. If your Alps RK40 pots have solder pins and not holes they are original UREI type and not original Bozak pots. They will work fine but the taper slope is a bit different than the originals used in the Bozak mixers. If you really get stuck I am sure John K on this board can get you originals for a fair price direct from Buzzy Beck.

Last edited by Captainjr : 11-03-2013 at 01:16 AM.