Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Output Brooklyn

Hey guys,

Did I miss a review or discussion on here about Output? I finally (embarrassingly) went this weekend, for Danny Tenaglia no less and was just blown away. Hands down best underground club in NYC, and one of the best sound systems I've heard in I don't know how many years. Anyone?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 AM

There is an article on Output in the current edition of Mondo (sorry, long URL).
http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2eb...3---Issue-23.5

Funktion-one Res6 system with lots of acoustic treatment. Love the lit up sub-bass horn under the DJ booth!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Great club! I only have a few complaints..

Booth monitors are harsh, this is the comment my friend who was playing made to me.. When I stepped into the listening position of the monitors they were uncomfortably loud to compete with the tops hanging just a few feet away.

The club has no flow, hard to move around when full, impossible to dance. Not sure what they were doing with those three small staircases accessing the dancefloor from upstairs..

The sound on mezz can get harsh when pushed.

From what I hear, I think Sankey's in the D36 space with the Incubus system from Void will prob sound way better
Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322

From what I hear, I think Sankey's in the D36 space with the Incubus system from Void will prob sound way better

Void incubus system. I think I need to book a flight to NYC now!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Were you actually in the club? Not sure if this was the same room, I really feel the opposite of everything you said.

Everyone from Richie Hawtin to Carl Cox have raved about the PSM318 F1 monitors they have at Output, which are in all the major F1 installs in Ibiza, etc. Who was djing when you were there?

The flow of the club is perfect. Even when packed (as it was for Tenaglia Sat) you can still get around, and it circulates well, considering the size.

I haven't been motivated to be on a club dance floor in a long time, I was on the floor a good portion of the night last Saturday, and when not on the floor, all the zone areas were perfect, not too loud, just enough fill with what looked liked de-grilled F1 F88's, and clean sounding. The sound on the main floor was unparalleled to just about anything I've heard lately. Too much in the wrong hands yes could be overbearing, but Danny always has a way of keeping levels in check and working a system properly.

Everyone has been telling me to get to Output since the beginning of the year with most people saying "dude, you'll understand, EVERYTHING, was done right..". I never believe statements like that unless I see it (and hear it) for myself, but I have to say after going for the first time, it lived up to the hype, and I as I stated, I have a new found respect for F1.

I look forward to hearing the Void system and Sankey's, but I really hope they're reworking that space. It had major design and flow issues, let alone the dj booth placement which was terrible. It never felt right in that place, and I spent many nights there.

Quote:
Great club! I only have a few complaints..

Booth monitors are harsh, this is the comment my friend who was playing made to me.. When I stepped into the listening position of the monitors they were uncomfortably loud to compete with the tops hanging just a few feet away.

The club has no flow, hard to move around when full, impossible to dance. Not sure what they were doing with those three small staircases accessing the dancefloor from upstairs..

The sound on mezz can get harsh when pushed.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Having just worked with Richie and his F1 triaxial monitors I can say this. They sound good for a triaxial 18 that goes against most convention of proper crossover points and cone sizes. It did seem on our amps to be loud and clean, but the limiter settings they wanted were very odd... once again asking lighweight drivers to be pushed further than they should. I know what my large amps do on many other drivers and it just didn't seem to get loud before running out of gas. But my designs I use my amps on are very high power drivers that are still eficient , in VERY efficient enclosures. Think Faital HP1030 driver.

So in closing, its a good sounding box, they had replacement Triaxial drivers shipped to them when they showed up, "new design" I was told... But in all, most of what I hear about from all my install buddies is F1 drivers blowing up all the time. Its the same old Turbo Flash/Flood loading techniques Sealed back chamber lightweight driver firing into a compression area and then expansion horn. Very hard on a driver, but great transient response.

F
Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

www.facebook.com/nathanshort
Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM

I haven't heard the 318's personally, just know what I read briefly as of late which has been some highly regarded reviews.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Hey ATF103, I love how you question me being in the club.. thats just awesome bro.

I had no need to hear the monitors until the DJ asked me to hear them in the mixing position after he said they were giving him a headache and he should get some plugs like mine.. He DJs at Stereo so he is prob way spoiled as their monitoring is the best Ive heard anywhere in any club.

As for flow, 1400 ppl in a club where there are three narrow staircases.. with a narrow mezz on either side, dance floor off center, place works amazing at 1000, more than that its madness..

I still think its a great club, very good.. Just would like a room where you can get anywhere without having to negotiate traffic moving in all directions at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanShort
Having just worked with Richie and his F1 triaxial monitors I can say this. They sound good for a triaxial 18 that goes against most convention of proper crossover points and cone sizes. It did seem on our amps to be loud and clean, but the limiter settings they wanted were very odd... once again asking lighweight drivers to be pushed further than they should. I know what my large amps do on many other drivers and it just didn't seem to get loud before running out of gas. But my designs I use my amps on are very high power drivers that are still eficient , in VERY efficient enclosures. Think Faital HP1030 driver.

So in closing, its a good sounding box, they had replacement Triaxial drivers shipped to them when they showed up, "new design" I was told... But in all, most of what I hear about from all my install buddies is F1 drivers blowing up all the time. Its the same old Turbo Flash/Flood loading techniques Sealed back chamber lightweight driver firing into a compression area and then expansion horn. Very hard on a driver, but great transient response.

I thought they played clean enough, but they were harsh.

there was one speaker in the corner upstairs, near the entrance to the terrace, it was really amazing, a little 2 way design, sounded super tight and punchy..

Last edited by charles0322 : 09-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:

i heard the incubus at the frankfurt fair last year and it is nice! also heard some danley sound gear, which i would also love to hear more of. i focus more on live sound these days, so the danley gear would be better suited for what i do, but that void system is a great competitor to the f1 dance stack world.

output was fun. sound much better than other f1 rooms ive heard. i wandered a bit, but the space felt a lil awkward and ended up dancing most of the time. More of a difference of local party scene vibes.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 AM

Yes I spoke to more dj's that have played there and they said it's some of the best monitoring on the planet. Perhaps there was a technical issue going on when you were there. Also the F88's were the ones I saw peppered around the mezz.

There's this picture of the sub in front of the booth on resident advisor. Quite the construct.. lol

http://thekagency.com/cms/wp-content...utputweb_2.jpg
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM

an apt in manhattan the size of that sub would cost $2000/ month hahaha
great pic... wish i didnt live 5000 miles South so i could check it out!!! they aint got nothin like that in são Paulo....
Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104

There's this picture of the sub in front of the booth on resident advisor. Quite the construct.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretflute
an apt in manhattan the size of that sub would cost $2000/ month hahaha

OMG! You aren't kidding. That is absolutely nuts!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Yes I spoke to more dj's that have played there and they said it's some of the best monitoring on the planet. Perhaps there was a technical issue going on when you were there. Also the F88's were the ones I saw peppered around the mezz.

They only use a couple f81's, the "main" mezzanine speakers are the same ones as at Le Bain.. Resolution 1.5T.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
Quote:

i heard the incubus at the frankfurt fair last year and it is nice! also heard some danley sound gear, which i would also love to hear more of. i focus more on live sound these days, so the danley gear would be better suited for what i do, but that void system is a great competitor to the f1 dance stack world.

output was fun. sound much better than other f1 rooms ive heard.

I heard the Incubus at frankfurt as well. It is really toned for dance / impact. With the right tracks quite impressive. But when you need detail / clarity the low(mid)s really get in the way. In a way I don't really like.

Haven't experienced output, so I can't comment on that, except ... acoustics are a big and important part of the equation needed to be solved in order to get really good sound. This has been the case since Paradise Garage and still is. Some companies really do understand ... in the Netherlands for instance VisionAcoustics. Their background in creating/realising studios for guys like Armin v B., Nicky Romero helps.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Hey Bretflute:

I hear there's an amazing dance music culture in Sao Paulo? I have some music releases coming up where I was talking with a promoter about a dj gig down there. Excited if this one goes through!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM

well --- the house music scene really sucks... the favela funk/ pancadão scene is where everyone really gets loose and the systems are really bangin!! not to much to speak of in terms of quality... but masssive bass!!! and only the girls dance here... unless the guys are really drunk and then you dont want to see it... believe me!!!!
get a gig!!! then i can dance to some good music!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM

bretflute, what about D-edge?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM

d-edge is the webster hall of SP... nothin original and the djs usually are garbage but everyonce in a while they have a banger... the sound system is decente... the first one in SP that didnt distort like shit after 3 hours of bumpin... the dance floor has annoying lights in it that make it hard to really dance so i dont go very often because im Always tripping up over them!!!! i wouldnt make a special trip here for d-edge... thats for sure... the best clubs are on the beach in the South of the country... ive never played them or been to them but thats where all the best djs Always are.... even so good deep house cats come there... not just edm....
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretflute
d-edge is the webster hall of SP... nothin original and the djs usually are garbage but everyonce in a while they have a banger... the sound system is decente... the first one in SP that didnt distort like shit after 3 hours of bumpin... the dance floor has annoying lights in it that make it hard to really dance so i dont go very often because im Always tripping up over them!!!! i wouldnt make a special trip here for d-edge... thats for sure... the best clubs are on the beach in the South of the country... ive never played them or been to them but thats where all the best djs Always are.... even so good deep house cats come there... not just edm....

careful now, a couple forum members here have worked at webster hall!

steffi, seth troxler, ellen allien are all on the current months lineup, so im not sure the webster label fits. maybe with the crowd. one of my roommates is from s.p. and while he is down with the d-edge people, the parties there arent his favorite. however, he lives in berlin...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM

sorry!!! didnt mean to step on anyones toes.... just sayin thats its been open forever and its kind of the granddaddy club around here... there are older clubs of course--- but their sound systems really suck!!! painfully bad!!! some other extremely expensive clubs have ok systems but nothing great... and the djs play very comercial garbage... but theres way to much blow for me in the scene here and i cant really deal when people are all bumped up!!! im doing some production for funk carioca people so im gonna start playin at the pancadãos... the big favela parties!!! very dangerous.... but huge systems!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM

No worries people, Webster Hall is just chugging along. They get quite a few acts and always seem to do a decent business.

While I stepped away from the internal operations of Webster years ago, I'm still the supporting sound provider for rentals, repairs and purchases.

However, I would say that it's disturbing to me the (low) level of DJ's and their music. This is not a Webster Hall thing, it seems to be everywhere. Most DJ's simply run in the red on the mixer so hard the red lights don't even flicker. And today's club goers are the Ipod generation so they don't know any better and don't care.

Rant over.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Amen! Preach!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
No worries people, Webster Hall is just chugging along. They get quite a few acts and always seem to do a decent business.

While I stepped away from the internal operations of Webster years ago, I'm still the supporting sound provider for rentals, repairs and purchases.

However, I would say that it's disturbing to me the (low) level of DJ's and their music. This is not a Webster Hall thing, it seems to be everywhere. Most DJ's simply run in the red on the mixer so hard the red lights don't even flicker. And today's club goers are the Ipod generation so they don't know any better and don't care.

Rant over.

not something new, either

and since it happened in the vinyl days, also not based on format
Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 AM

On a DJM 900 or something running in the red wouldn't matter right? the 0dB mark is actually at -18dBfs, so you can actually go 8dB above the top red lights.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM

I just wanted to add that I went to check out Output this past Saturday, and it is the best sounding system I've heard in a long time. I was expecting the bass to be very "boomy" based on that giant sub under the DJ booth, which I can confirm, really is hilariously awesome in person. But the bass had a very tight feel there. It pounds you in the upper sternum. I remember some of the old Steve Dash systems used to make my Adam's apple vibrate, but this one definitely hit you just above your pecs!

The music that night was very minimal tech, so I didn't get to hear a variety of sounds on it, but what I did hear was great and made the music very exciting. The highest compliment I can pay is that the sound did not fatigue my ears over 4 hours, and I was alternating between using musician earplugs and going au natural. No ringing or white noise afterwards. I spent most of my night on the main floor. It played great compared to the following night at Santos, which required earplugs all night.

Does anyone know what the tall skinny folded horns are in the main stacks at Output? They seem to be using that for mid-bass and I've never seen them before in any system, F1 or otherwise.