View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
I doubt it, every Grado I heard of since the 70's has hum and is inherit to their design which didn't change much.

Check out those pissed off people with Rega Turntables hahahah

It really is one of the most stupidest things ever considering a Stanton is DEAD SILENT and I mean it. Or make that almost anything, Ortofon have pretty good hum rejection as do Shure.

I talked to Grado about it and they will do nothing about it, they tell me this design works better for the sound quality (to do with the way the coils are placed) at the small (apparently) cost of induced interference which I personally find unacceptable.

It may be ok on a simple belt drive TT with a out board PSU in a simple hi-fi setup in a empty listening room but a complex DJ booth or broadcast studio, forget it.
I tried to explain that to them... Notice the tried hahah

Imagine using these in a radio station back in the day, no chance... Hence why once again Stanton was the choice of the professional ages ago.

I'd still say try one though, most people aren't as fussy as me and it's slightly less apparent on something like a 1620LE.... Why? The LE is god damn noisy, the noise floor kinda covers up the hum

If the Grados tracked well for you, I don't know why you didn't either move over to single-voltage Technics or have the power supplies put in outboard boxes or a rack unit. If they'd worked like that for me, that's what I'd have done. Diamond shape be damned.

And as for the lack of "bite", they sounded phenomenal to me all the time. The best way to add attack is with discrete-type phono stages. The ones I bought add attack and definition to everything, sometimes a little too much. I suspect the Biamp SCM 7500/7600's very thin, sharp-sounding internal phonos would do something even more profound to it. I unloaded all those, though.

You guys REALLY need to get the Hifi News Test record and make sure you calibrate your carts. And most of the high tip mass DJing carts on the market are just shredding the high frequencies on your records. That durable little 500ALII was the worst culprit of them all, followed by the NCE.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html