View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing so I sent Ortofon this email a few weeks ago;

"Hi,

I am replacing the styli on my Nightclub E Om carts originals, the ones with the yellow styli.

Is there any benefit in replacing them with the Gold styli or Nightclub Mk II styli?

Cheers,
Jeromy"

and got this reply;

"Hello Jeromy

Physically, each series of our DJ stylus, except for S-120, will fit on alternate cartridge bodies. However, these combinations are not supported by Ortofon, as each cartridge series is designed with a synergistic combination in mind - that is, each stylus is made to compliment the magnet and coil configuration of each cartridge body. Using a Gold stylus with a Nightclub body will not provide the full benefit of either product, and might even provide undesired results, including (but not limited to) differences in output, unbalanced sound reproduction, etc.

Note: In the case of the NightClub MkI/MkII and DJ series cartridges, it is perfectly alright to use the respective S (spherical) or E (elliptical) version stylus. The cartridge bodies are designed to accommodate either of the respective series' stylus types.

Best regards
Katarina H. Nielsen
Ortofon A/S"

I don't know, according to some discogs forum members, all the OM DJ series are the same.

This is what they have to say about the new DJ OM 120S: The Ortofon-Serato S-120 represents a completely new way of constructing and designing cartridges. Its breakthrough patent pending technology has been designed to provide maximum freedom for DJ performance.

An innovative technology, called asymmetric suspension, takes the cartridge performance to the next level. Its superior tracking force ensures the S-120 stays in the groove even under extreme live performance conditions.

In addition, its design achieves an unprecedentedly low level of record wear, which helps protect your valuable vinyl. On top of this, the S-120 is capable of providing a level of sound quality never thought possible from a modern DJ cartridge.

But it's a spherical stylus.

Last edited by 1620_nz : 12-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.