View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Hey, thanks for responding.

I don't care about total van space or total weight, though. I do care about sound quality, total SPL, and individual weights. So it looks like it's a trade-off between (possibly) sound quality versus individual lifting-weight.

On another forum someone seemed to think there was a good chance coupled lower-priced/quality (comparatively) sub pairings would sound better (fidelity, extension, and output) than individual higher-end subs per channel. His answer was consistent with my prior understanding of what happens to subwoofer drivers and cabinets as they get driven near their limits. Extension and response also tends to even-out with sub groupings due to the way multiple similarly-sized cabinets give you essentially twice the LxWxH volume if you go 2X the number. There have been tests that show it.

So the information I've been getting so far hasn't been entirely consistent and in universal agreement on the sound quality front. No easy answer. And on the SPL front, it looks like the EONs would be the same or slightly louder in total. The lifting-weight is obviously in favor of the EONs. I don't know. EON supposedly has a more-wimpy & inferior woofer design, but like anything in audio I would expect trade-offs in voice coil size to possibly have benefits elsewhere. Is that wrong?

It'd be an interesting experiment to actually test some time if I had that many of these models to compare, but alas, that's not possible.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html

Last edited by Reticuli : 09-13-2013 at 02:38 AM.