View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossa nolyx
What's wrong when modern loudspeaker engineers use modern materials and electronics that create a much more accurate sound?

Your interpretation of modern, technically correct sound is very negative. Through active frequency separation, we are now able to simply linearize the frequency and phase response in any home setup and to create a substantially uniform listening environment. What now happens is that old tracks mastered on bass-heavy sound systems today sound a bit thin on linearized systems.

But this has nothing to do with the manufacturers wanting to let the listener dissect the music analytically. Modern systems have completely objective advantages and bring life to music that was previously not possible. And it has nothing to do with classical music or jazz. Only that also 40 years ago classical music was recorded with great effort and a good monitor. That this was not the case in most house music tracks, we get to feel 20 years later.

Of course you can buy the "old flavor" at home to get happy. But for that you do not have to spend so much money. Since you can also buy very high quality modern speakers for house and tweak the sound (objectively) worse.

Just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with the modern, accurate speakers, it's just a personal, aesthetic choice. The last hifi fair I went to, I must have listened like 30 different speakers (ranging from a few hundred to 25k a pair) and I found just one suitable pair I liked (by Atohm, and those were like 7k a pair). Everything else left me cold.

I just want something different, that's all. It doesn't need to be vintage, I'm sure there are modern speakers with the sound I'm after too, I just don't know what brands to look for, hence the topic.

And besides, I already have a pair of accurate studio monitors, Focal CMS65's. They're pretty nice (I far rate them over, say, similarly priced Genelecs), I just want something even nicer and flattering, for enjoying music that sometimes isn't produced so well.

Quote:
Tell us more about the room. Where exactly are the speakers standing, where exactly are you? Attempt to describe the situation as accurately as possible, if you want to spend so much money wisely.

The current room is a standard living room, not very large (maybe 4x6m), two walls of stone, two walls of plywood (or something, not sure what the correct english term is). Not very nice acoustically, but nothing I can do about it atm.

I'm primarily shopping for speakers for my future room though, which I do not know the specifics of yet.