View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM

I had read these years ago and some of this we at wave once discussed when Scotty was alive. Even though these are large web sites that the articles came from there are other ex Bozak employees in their 70s and early 80s still alive today that did not remember things quite this way. Also over the years a lot more so called facts have been added to those articles I guess to enhance them and make them appear more detailed and authentic. Here is more reading that came from two ex employees who are both elderly but alive today and were employed as design engineers at Bozak. I have no reason to disbelieve these following notes as these two gentlemen had nothing to gain by making something up when asked about Bozak in 2006. These few items make for some interesting controversy.

#1 this is the exact quote that came from one of the ex employees who spent most of his life (1965-1989) with the Bozak organization. This was sent to me when asked for comments about several articles in 2006. At that time he was in his mid 70s.

“I am not saying that anyone is a liar but CMA as I recall was a small German /American engineer and design company located, I believe, in Darien Connecticut. I can't remember what the initials stood for after all these years, but it was not for any Japanese or Chinese manufacturer like the web page you sent would like you to believe...
Rudy originally recommended McIntosh Amplifiers for use with his speakers, due to their Damping Factor, and they recommended Bozak Speakers in return. Rudy had no interest in manufacturing electronics, but in the early 1950's McIntosh changed the damping factor on their new amplifiers and Rudy felt they could no longer do justice to his Concert Grand speakers. He decided he would have to have an amplifier designed to his needs, and together with personal friends at Commercial Manufactured Audio South Norwalk Connecticut (more likely the CMA designation on products) drew up the specifications for the new amplifiers. Several models were designed and manufactured but the big work horse developed was called the CMA-2-150. It was a stereo 150 watt per channel bridgeable amplifier. All of the actual design work was done in Germany, and resulted in a way overbuilt, massive professional power amp at the time.
All the Bozak professional electronic CMA series units that included models like the CMA10-1, CMA10-2, CMA10-2D, CMA10-2DL, and etcetera were designed by the same German company and manufactured by Bozak in Connecticut. Even at the end we were still using many German components. No Japanese or Chinese company as far as I know ever had any input for Bozak branded products. We did however use special manufactured to our specifications items that were produced in Japan. One in particular was the custom made stereo 50k million cycle Alps brand potentiometers. The further enhancements to the CMA 10-2DL series mixer were all designed by me after the company’s first sell out in the mid 1970s. I made sure everything I did remained true to the standards and vision of the industry genius I first met with his family in 1949, then not knowing that I would continue his work years later. Most of the key people in the company when I became the chief engineer were people who had worked under Rudy. He was an irascible, hot tempered perfectionist when it came to his products or business. Heaven help any worker who left a tool sitting atop one of his hand rubbed speaker cabinets. Even threw all this everyone spoke of him warmly, and all had great Rudy stories to tell.
He was truly a genius, once while I read through his detailed old research notebooks; I suddenly realized that he was actually doing Fourier Transforms in his head. I sat there stunned. I believe there may still be some original documents on file to verify the existence and input of Commercial Manufactured Audio in the design of Bozak products. I will try to locate the original paper work as soon as I have some extra time.”

#2 this note came to me from one of the company’s later owners.
“Bozak was split up when we closed it. Our marketing manager Bill Kieltyka, purchased the speaker side and opened up shop in his home state of Maine, but not using the Bozak name. Bill operated under another brand name, NEAR for New England Audio Research. We sold him all of the original equipment from the speaker division so he could be faithful to the original speakers. He eventually went out of business.

Don as you know was the majority owner of Bozak and sold the Bozak name, but nothing else to someone in Europe sometime in the 1990s. They put the Bozak name on their own products but never had access to the actual Bozak electronic designs. Because they only got the name, it would not be accurate to say we sold them the electronics division that died with the Bozak Company when we closed our 45,000 square foot plant in New Britain, CT. Don and I were involved together in a number of business ventures for 23 years from 1973 through 1996”.

#3 here is another interesting reading found on the web. Most of the timeline dates seem correct except 1971 to all knowledge should have been 1974 and the D not DL mixer.

Bozak History Timeline:
1960 - Rudy Bozak registers Bozak MFG.
1963 - Bozak manufactures mono broadcast mixer.
1971 - Bozak manufactures the first commercially made Stereo DJ Mixer, the CMA-10-2-DL.
1977 - Rudy Bozak sells Bozak MFG company and retires but continues to work as a consultant for Bozak Inc.
1978 - Bozak trademark registered to Bozak Inc, who continued to make loud speakers.
1982 - United Recording Electronic Industries (UREI) cloned the Bozak CMA-10 mixer.
1983 - Founder Rudy Bozak dies.
1986 - Bozak Inc sold off.
1989 - Bozak engineers Buzzy Beck and Paul Hammerland continued manufacturing with small-scale production of electronics until costs for the new HB-1-8 spiral forcined all Bozak mixer production to cease in June of 89.
2006 - February, Paul Morrissey former Product Manager at Vestax Corporation and Soundcraft starts Analog Developments Ltd.
2007 - The new Bozak brand is launched at WMC in Miami and the ISO-X isolator goes on sale in the late summer of 2007.
2008 - The launch of the first new Bozak mixer, the AR-6, in 20 years accompanied by the EQ-6 channel EQ module.

Last edited by Captainjr : 04-13-2013 at 11:12 AM.