View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
So you're basing your system design strictly on what a manufacturer claims at 8 ohms and 4 ohms without even taking into consideration those numbers are always biased around 1kHz instantaneous figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
Thanks for your reply.

Possibly you can direct me to wards a website for the only Summit Audio I know is this one and, they are known for audio processing not amplifiers. I cannot seem to locate any amplifiers on their site either. So, possibly you are referring to another Summit Audio?

I would request a specification sheet to see if his product meets up to my requirements. Surely if Behringer which copies products can draw up a specification sheet, there should be no reason for Richard Long (if he were alive) not to since it is supposed to be a proprietary design.

I guess that is where you and I differ. If a manufacture is proud of his or her product they will happily offer the specifications for all to see. I could understand if it were schematics for fear of copyright infringement. However if I feel like evaluating my 1955 Valve amplifier instruction manual, I can just look in on of my binders and refresh my memory on its capabilities. I donít see why it would be an issue for a small manufacture find such a request insulting.

I would imagine many might feel the same. A sense of patriotism is a very noble jester. As for Elliot, well, I was born in England. I could care less where a product is made. My main concern is the amplifier meeting up to my requirements. Possibly, if I lived in England I would aim for FFA or MC2 since they are made in the England. However, seeing that I live in the States, I am willing to use any product providing it meets up to my requirements.

If Thrive amplifiers can only keep up, then they wonít meet my requirements. I will explain why.

Iíve used Crown MA 5000vz amplifiers since 1996 so, an upgrade is long over do. The Studio R X12 claims to deliver 11,000 watts, which upon reading the specification sheet have the current to achieve it.

220 volts @ 68 amperes equates to 14,960 watts. This is just one of the reasons why I like having specification sheets of products.

For the sake of headroom based on my requirements (4 ohms per channel), I will be Ė0.6 dB away from +3 dB. Switching amplifiers that match what I am currently using in terms of output power is IMHO a waste of money and will not offer any headroom in terms of amplifier power. So, it really boils down to Studio R, Lab Gruppen or Powersoft K 10.

However, I am willing to evaluate the specs on these Thrive amplifiers for you may not be familiar with the type of specifications I am evaluating. If you can offer a website of where I can evaluate these amplifiers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,