Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Some more thoughts on the situation (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=9733)

forumadmin 10-22-2009 07:00 AM

Some more thoughts: Need for Pro Sound Installers Sub-Forum

Hey guys, sorry I cannot babysit this all the time, I am traveling all around the planet right now and this is why I entrusted Scotty with this.

I have given a great deal of thought to this, and feel that the only way to solve it equitably without everyone braying murder is to have a separate forum for sound installers to rep and discuss their products. There is obviously a lot to win or lose for them, and they are only obeying the market forces which dictate that for their products to succeed they have to present themselves better than their competitors.

This forum here should be for normal people, and users as well as those looking for knowledge and want to have discussions on what they do. Including sound installers, if they are just helping someone out with something unrelated to their commercial products. For general discussion among peers, and sharing of knowledge without a commercial motive. "Fun" and "For The Love Of It" (remember that?)

So I am making another poll of my own for this simple question:

Should we split the forum into a professional section where sound installers and manufacturers are allowed to present and discuss their commercial offerings?

We would only allow people who are known professionals in the field to advertise and discuss their products and services in that separate sub-forum. Shills for manufacturers can also easily be found out over time. This main forum here should only be used for general discussion, and users reporting their experience. At the mods' discretion, if we find certain users abusing this and constantly pushing for a specific installer's products, they will be dealt with just as well.

That's the gist of it. You guys have created a great community, and it's going to be up to you to grow up with it, and admit that commercial interests do over time tend to pollute things and make matters murky, because there is too much at stake with those who make a living out of this. Being that I personally know a lot of you guys, it makes it even harder for me to take sides. So I can only recommend the solution that does not seem to discriminate here...

At this time I am pretty sure that this will be done, out of respect I am just trying to get an opinion from everyone first.

I know we asked this before, but it was a more general question, this time it is very specific to only sound installers and manufacturers having their own area.

clubman5 10-22-2009 07:13 AM

OMG, FK you do believe in me. And that in itself is incredible.

I will say no more.

Mistick Krewe 10-22-2009 09:08 AM

once again, thanks for the forums being here FK....

we really do appreciate it...

even though it gets somewhat ugly occasionally...

Kevin James 10-22-2009 09:30 AM

I think it's a great idea. I think this part is a little over the top though "We would only allow people who are known professionals in the field to advertise and discuss their products and services in that separate sub-forum." Reason being that really doesn't allow for any up an coming people/brands to get their products out their and make a name for themselves which seems unfair. Keep in mind also that instating that rule means your really going to have just a couple people/companies posting in that seperate forum... which would be pretty boring. If you do instate another forum section please dont put Scott on as the moderator, if you want things to get better thats not going to help.

voltcontrol 10-22-2009 04:49 PM

The forumowner decides the scope of his forum.
Personally I frown upon the semi commercial interests here + there's probably some sockpuppeting going on in that department.

Kevin James 10-22-2009 05:02 PM

So Scott is the moderator on the new sub forum too... which pretty much means its not going to be any different, just moved to a different area. LOL

Mistick Krewe 10-22-2009 05:12 PM

my reading of the situation is that to a certain extent, the installer's forum will be a 'free for all' with 'no holds barred'

clubman5 10-22-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin James
So Scott is the moderator on the new sub forum too... which pretty much means its not going to be any different, just moved to a different area. LOL

Well, yep. This is how it is gonna be!

FK still believes in me. Amazing as this sounds. BUT............................

It is what it is...................:D

Kevin James 10-22-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clubman5
Well, yep. This is how it is gonna be!

FK still believes in me. Amazing as this sounds. BUT............................

It is what it is...................:D

Oh trust me you won't get any argument from me on that, it really IS amazing, mind boggling even LOL

But whatever... you know my thoughts already so I'll shut up now before you unjustly ban me for speaking my mind.

clubman5 10-22-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin James
Oh trust me you won't get any argument from me on that, it really IS amazing, mind boggling even LOL

But whatever... you know my thoughts already so I'll shut up now before you unjustly ban me for speaking my mind.

OK! UMMHMM YEAH YEAH!

Special.K 10-22-2009 06:28 PM

Personaly i think it's a good idea, maybe i'll get in on the self promotion now as well!