Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bozak CMA-6-2s ??? (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=8623)

sense 02-10-2009 09:50 PM

Bozak CMA-6-2s ???

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know anything about this unit. Can it be modified to be a DJ Mixer? Or can I use the parts for my CMA-10-2DL ?

BOZAK "Panning" Mixer / Amplifier Model CMA-6-2S, with meters. Six microphone level inputs, Lo Z balanced via XLR connectors, each may be "panned" continuously from left to right, or vise versa. Front panel controls include “INPUT 1”(gain) thru “INPUT 6”(gain) and "L – R"(one each above input gain), "MASTER GAIN", "MONITOR LEVEL", "BASS" and "TREBLE" (X2 for Left and Right), "METER" (0, +12, +24dB) (X2 for left and right), "Prevue Select" 1-2-3-4-5-6, "Monitor Select" Prev - Norm, and “OFF – ON”(power). Front Panel “MONITOR” is via 1/4” female stereo phone. Other outputs at rear chassis: “TAPE / HiZ” via RCA's, and “MIXER OUTPUT” via male XLR's. Dimen: 20”W (w/ case) x 8”H (w/ case) x 14.5”D (incl knobs) (standard 19” rack mount x 7” {4 RU}). Net weight: 31 lbs. I just tested the unit, and all functions work well. Unit is available at local sale also. Buyer to pay only actual shipping cost plus $10 packing and handling. Thanks for looking.

Mistick Krewe 02-11-2009 12:18 PM

maybe that unit was the basis for ^^^^

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ead.php?t=5349

here's the patent application for the above project...
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4524452.html

djjonk 04-01-2013 05:49 AM

it looks like you may be able to with the correct parts.

I'll have to ask Buzzy but this one looks a little odd and definitely modified. In the back it seems like it is marked CMA 10-2D but the front is marked CMA-6-2S
Check out this one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Boza...em3cd 0318e2d

Quote:

Originally Posted by sense
Does anyone know anything about this unit. Can it be modified to be a DJ Mixer? Or can I use the parts for my CMA-10-2DL ?

BOZAK "Panning" Mixer / Amplifier Model CMA-6-2S, with meters. Six microphone level inputs, Lo Z balanced via XLR connectors, each may be "panned" continuously from left to right, or vise versa. Front panel controls include “INPUT 1”(gain) thru “INPUT 6”(gain) and "L – R"(one each above input gain), "MASTER GAIN", "MONITOR LEVEL", "BASS" and "TREBLE" (X2 for Left and Right), "METER" (0, +12, +24dB) (X2 for left and right), "Prevue Select" 1-2-3-4-5-6, "Monitor Select" Prev - Norm, and “OFF – ON”(power). Front Panel “MONITOR” is via 1/4” female stereo phone. Other outputs at rear chassis: “TAPE / HiZ” via RCA's, and “MIXER OUTPUT” via male XLR's. Dimen: 20”W (w/ case) x 8”H (w/ case) x 14.5”D (incl knobs) (standard 19” rack mount x 7” {4 RU}). Net weight: 31 lbs. I just tested the unit, and all functions work well. Unit is available at local sale also. Buyer to pay only actual shipping cost plus $10 packing and handling. Thanks for looking.

Disko Ole 04-01-2013 07:33 AM

The CMA-10-2D marking on the back is just a sticker...

Wonder if anyone is gonna spend $1000 on that mixer. For some reason I feel it's something that been done in a hurry...

Captainjr 04-02-2013 01:32 PM

Looks like someone bought that mixer advertised as a 10-2D on eBay. It has some neat looking mods, but are they in for a surprise when they find out what it really was or is. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. Good luck if something ever goes wrong on that mixer.

DSA.audio 04-05-2013 04:27 PM

Seller claims the unit was purchased new by him as part of a whole system in '73 or '74 from David Beatty Stereo in Kansas City.
(I tend to think '74 due to the stamp on the side of the chasis)
They were the premiere dealer in KC at the time and did many installs in local disco clubs in those years.

The only "customizing" which was done by the original owner was adding labels on the front panel and
replacing the two phono controls with larger knobs - but he kept the original knobs and
schematics
that were provided to him at the time of purchase...

Seems like it may have been a Factory job on the conversion to 10-2-D1.....

I got pics of the inside and it looks similar to another 10-2-D I have, except instead of the normal chasis it was orig. a 6-2S...
also, instead of jumpers in positions 5/6, there are cards that are missing some bits and pieces --
evidently the jumper cards have been used at Bozak since at least 1274 (chassis stamp date)

Captainjr 04-06-2013 07:50 AM

I was interested in it before it sold and the seller would not send me photos of the insides or maybe he just did not have time. Anyway it is great you got pictures of the insides. Could you post them for wave members to look at and I would like to send them to Mr. Beck to give me his thoughts on the unit. Thanks!

DSA.audio 04-08-2013 09:04 AM

Here's a shot of the mixer's inside with a normal 10-2-D to compare:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bynz...it?usp=sharing

Captainjr 04-08-2013 10:25 AM

DSA. audio thank you for the photo. It is exactly what Mr. Beck confirmed for me. Position 5/6 are the left and right input slots for stereo channel # 3 auxiliary channel # 1 on this mixer and the factory 10-2-D that could be converted to a third stereo phono channel. You had to install a mono phono card in positions 5 and 6 to convert it to the third stereo phono. I guess more customers wanted a third phono channel back in those days. Most likely the 6-2s was used for this particular modification because a stereo control had to be added and the 2 mono pots removed to make a stereo channel. This would have left a couple input control holes on the faceplate empty because each stereo input channel used only one control pot. Also a balance pot was added as stated in the auction and the channel L + R switch removed. Auxiliary channel # 2 if you look closely is a direct hard wire to the control pot and by passes the main board. These modifications were being done on the 10-2 several years earlier as Mr. Beck stated to me. He remembers a 10-2 being modified with 4 phono, 4 auxiliary, and 2 microphone channels. Reality is the 10-2 mixer is the original and could be modified in many ways for just about any application. It also gave customers the luxury of VU meters etc that was eliminated on the D and DL series. Thanks again DSA for the photo.

DSA.audio 04-08-2013 10:47 AM

no worries... I am in the process of getting more detailed photos to Mr. Beck,
as well as the scans of additional factory documentation that came with the mixer...
(a 6-2S cut sheet with the model #6-2S marked out, and the 'sticker label' 10-2-D like on the back affixed... and schematics for both 6-2S and 10-2-D1 mixers)

possibly more to come, in the way of information on this factory option, in the future....

still need to do the functional testing of the unit...
but I am confidant at this point that it is working as designed...

Very interesting on the 10-2 with 4 phono/aux & 2 mics...
I may seek to have Mr. Beck further customize this one...

If I do, I'll share the project results upon completion....

be well y'all.....

Captainjr 04-08-2013 12:55 PM

sense, if you have followed the posts I am sure you know by now that the 6-2S you were looking at can be modified into a stereo DJ mixer. It takes some work but it would make a very interesting mixer. The parts aren't interchangeable with the DL series mixers other than the power transformer and some small parts. I guess the question is how much money would be needed and if you really wanted to do it. Good Luck!

DSA.audio 04-08-2013 01:48 PM

yep, question answered for certain...

and only took a little over 4 years... ;) lol