Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Look at my LE, THANK YOU djmariog!! (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=7861)

vinyl_junkie 08-22-2008 05:01 PM

Urei 1620LE Silver Knob Caps

Yes another check out my bling post but with a cause! lol
I managed to get some original Urei-1620 knob caps from djmariog and got rid of the horrible gold caps on my 1620LE in favour for the original look which I LOVE and seeing as I can't afford an original then this is the next best thing.

If any one wants to do this with their LE it's very easy and I can explain how I did it.

Yes I'm very happy!

Mistick Krewe 08-22-2008 05:25 PM

i like the silver caps better too....

Fred Bissnette 08-22-2008 07:14 PM

thats dope man looks super sharp

i wanna get some bozak knobs for my home made rotary someday

peas

djmariog 08-22-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Yes another check out my bling post but with a cause! lol
I managed to get some original Urei-1620 knob caps from the very cool djmariog and got rid of the horrible gold caps on my 1620LE in favour for the original look which I LOVE and seeing as I can't afford an original then this is the next best thing.
If any one want's to do this with their LE it's very easy and I can explain how I did it.

Yes I'm very happy!

Glad I made you happy. I also think it looks much better.

geoff 08-22-2008 10:08 PM

the gold ones fade anyways...after a few years they begin to look silver lol...

Rotary Dreams 08-23-2008 02:21 AM

can i put that silver fantastic caps to my crest mixer??? :/

Leeee 08-23-2008 06:06 AM

Here's what i want to know........

.........How come my LE came with silver knobs already?

Not that i'm complaining mind you i think the gold ones look way tacky.

But strange none the less?

:)

djmariog 08-23-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeee

Not that i'm complaining mind you i think the gold ones look way tacky.

But strange none the less?

I had one of the first Urei LE and the unit came with silver knobs.
They did swictch on there 2nd production runs.

Why ?????

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Regarding the crest I do not think so
I think the crest has the same knob as the rane 2016

Leeee 08-23-2008 12:20 PM

Aaah that probably explains it. I got mine not long after they came out so it must have been one of the first run units. Was in the market kinda for an original after tweakin my mates one in his Chelsea NY apt. Then i handled an LE in Rock and Soul. Came back to wales already fully infected with the Urei bug.
Hmm probably would have preferred to have got an original and i still dont know why i didnt but am more than happy with my LE. Sounds a little sharper than some originals i think, it doesnt have that fat sound of one though but still has a great sound.

Peace

Lee.

root 08-23-2008 01:30 PM

Mine have turned silver apart from the top row, which is weird.

Headphone and "Source"-knobs still have the Champagne coloration, other knobs still have a slight tint of gold, otherwise being rather much silver.

Bought mine as a demo unit in April 2006.

vinyl_junkie 08-23-2008 01:55 PM

Seeing as some of you were interested on how to do it and costs here is how I did it.

Now there are two ways of doing it but the first way didn't work so well with me, and that is to use a fine tiped jewelers awl/small pointy thing and prise the cap off, this way I managed to do two and it took ages, the glue on my LE was realy tough and on one knob I slightly damaged the plastic arround the pot.
The way I did it was different...

I removed all the knobs from the mixer; you will need 2 sizes of allen key for this as the big pots and the smaller ones have different size heads. I used a 1/16 allen key for the small pots i.e. balance and a 5/64 for the main volume pots.

I then got a drill and yes I drilled through the centre of the pot!

Once the hole has been cut I got a screw driver and pulled off the cap

Now all you do is glue the new caps on and hey presto!

I got the caps from Mario for about £14 inc postage to the UK if I remember correct.

vinyl_junkie 08-23-2008 02:02 PM

When you removed all the knobs from the mixer it's also a good idea to give the front pannel a good clean with someting and remove all the muck from the shaft of the pots, mine was espeacely dirty. Now it will look showroom clean again

RETRODISKO 08-24-2008 05:39 AM

Damn!!! Im older each day , You are just a KID !!! Great for you !!!!! Congrats!!!!

SILVER RULES!@@@@@@@

all kids nowdays only loves Pioneer mixers,,:p

charles0322 08-25-2008 04:50 AM

future project for my LE.. :)

jsd540 08-25-2008 02:13 PM

Thank God

I'm so glad few people of the next gen have arrived to carry this thing of ours forward... Thanks Vinyl Junkie.

charles0322 08-25-2008 04:41 PM

VJ did you remove the led from the cue/pgm toggle switch, lol.. you must be longing for the good ol' days for real!

the days I used to sneak into the booth at Stereo and play with the RLA crossover and orig. Urei.. if only I could have put the system on :)

I bought the LE to feel like I was back there again, and now the system is on and shaking everything ;)

charles0322 08-25-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeee

because the house gods were smiling on you.

vinyl_junkie 08-25-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsd540
I'm so glad few people of the next gen have arrived to carry this thing of ours forward... Thanks Vinyl Junkie.

And thank you all for sharing the knowledge on this very fine board :)

vinyl_junkie 08-25-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles0322
VJ did you remove the led from the cue/pgm toggle switch, lol.. you must be longing for the good ol' days for real!

the days I used to sneak into the booth at Stereo and play with the RLA crossover and orig. Urei.. if only I could have put the system on :)

I bought the LE to feel like I was back there again, and now the system is on and shaking everything ;)

Hahah you know me to well lol Because you know what...when I was doing the caps I was thinking hmmm if I drill a hole here and stick in a red LED like on the original and then remove the blue one in the headphone socket than it can look even better lol Then I thought of getting some DUO phono cards as they sound better. Any way I would still like to get the cards but I have other things to spend my money on at the moment.
Longing for the good ol'times oh god yes and I only caught the end of it all when it was still good (well compared to what it is now imo but lets not get into that now)
On a side note, I finally found a good way of syncing the MPC with Logic and integrating all the hardware like the Juno with it all. I put the synths and MPC into storage as my bro is back for a week or two and thatís where all the music making stuff was but when he goes again I need to finish this tune http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=frpLwxlLmmQ
For once i'm sorta' happy with it, a bit bassy though

charles0322 08-26-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

For once i'm sorta' happy with it, a bit bassy though

its really cool, liking it lots.. promo please, when you're done of course ;)

charles0322 08-26-2008 05:53 PM

and about drilling holes in the LE to retrofit a red led.. well its a bit overkill but if it brings you back, then do it :p but you could change the blue led headphone jack to a red one it would look like a back to the future Urei, lol

I have purchased phono cards from DUO, they sound just as good.. not sure if I could say they sound better becasue Ive never known a difference, which is kinda how I like it. It is top quality gear though, and the line input card for my Denon players is an option.. or some DACs for the digital outs..

vinyl_junkie 08-26-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles0322
its really cool, liking it lots.. promo please, when you're done of course ;)

Promo? Hell Yeah! lol
I tell you what I love coming up with ideas and making up new songs but finishing them is always the difficult bit for me, if I will finish a song that I'm really happy with though I'll get a one off dub plate cut at optimum mastering (as used by nrk and others) just so I could listen to it properly mastered on vinyl :D i'll then record it to cd and send you that lol

charles0322 08-26-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Promo? Hell Yeah! lol
I tell you what I love coming up with ideas and making up new songs but finishing them is always the difficult bit for me, if I will finish a song that I'm really happy with though I'll get a one off dub plate cut at optimum mastering (as used by nrk and others) just so I could listen to it properly mastered on vinyl :D i'll then record it to cd and send you that lol

you are a legend if you get your stuff mastered like that to dub plate.. let me know how much that would cost. I know how hard it is to finish & release your stuff and be happy with it to that degree but get it out there :)

Dj Greg G 08-26-2008 11:23 PM

How old are you Vinyl? You look like your about 16 years old!

vinyl_junkie 08-27-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
How old are you Vinyl? You look like your about 16 years old!

Lol I know, i'm 22 though...23 this December