Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   sound workshop 421 rotary mixer (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=5093)

chuggy 08-07-2006 03:56 PM

sound workshop 421 rotary mixer

i looking to buy a new mixer and have been umming and arring for a while now, so i thought i'd come to the experts having read the forum on numerous occassions.

i've looked at the e&s djr400 for about a year having seen one used a small party that happens sporadically over here in london - check www.voicescollective.com - but have never had a go on it. i dug around the web and checked this forum at the time, but there wasn't much info. however, from a quick update read seems time have changed and loads of people now have one and given it the thumbs up.

anyway, as i was getting to a time to decide between the bozak/old urei/new urei/e&s, i've been offered a sound workshop 421 rotary mixer, BUT i have no info on it at all. it might seem strange that i'm considering it, but its coming from a dj i know and admire and his offer came about when i asked him how he found the e&s djr400 and he said he prefered the feel of his sound workshop.

so, for any heads out there is there any info you can pass one and / or you opinion. i've tried google and came up with nout.

thanks in advance.

DSA.audio 08-07-2006 04:09 PM

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...?searchid=1300

here are some search results for the 'sound workshop' (search terms i used)

seems to be well liked by the owners....

i've never used one...

dancindave 08-07-2006 04:20 PM

I have mine. I'm not selling it. Get one if you can. They're compact, and easy to work on.

chuggy 08-07-2006 08:31 PM

thanks for the replies, v.interesting and much appreciated.

dave, from that search from dsa i came across old jpgs you put up while selling one on ebay. did you not sell it in the end or buy a new one.

seemed they are really rare, good, but old and therefore, for someone in england i'm not sure how i'd get serviced. anyone know of a person in the uk who can work on such items.

also, those jpg images have gone, any chance of photos anyone?

thanks in advance - this is getting interesting!

dancindave 08-07-2006 10:12 PM

I've got a bunch of photos I can email you if you like. The parts are all standard and can be easily located anywhere. In the UK you have RS Components. They are vendors for ALPS, ELNA, and a bunch of others should you want to upgrade. It's really just part swapping like you would tune a car. So if you're into soldering, then this is a great mixer to tinker with.

NeverObsolete 08-08-2006 01:09 AM

RE: Sound Workshop Photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuggy
thanks for the replies, v.interesting and much appreciated.

dave, from that search from dsa i came across old jpgs you put up while selling one on ebay. did you not sell it in the end or buy a new one.

seemed they are really rare, good, but old and therefore, for someone in england i'm not sure how i'd get serviced. anyone know of a person in the uk who can work on such items.

also, those jpg images have gone, any chance of photos anyone?

thanks in advance - this is getting interesting!

Here are some photos of mine. I hope these help.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqxcfz/s...usemusic9.html

I love mine. Found it on ebay as a bargain. The sound is very warm. It is a straightforward mixer with not thrills. I possesses a simple layout. And as the comment been made. Easy to work on.

If its given to you, you won't go wrong. For me the only drawback is the Tape input. Both Decks on one channel. One each for the tables. I do use CD decks and wish it had input for two Line in. However, no problem. This is a decent mixer.

chuggy 08-08-2006 06:57 PM

thanks for the photos. i don't use cd players for mixing, just one going in to listen to cds. would also like to put my laptop in, but i could share that one? also, it would be 2 technics (for mixing) and a rega planer (for listening).

could sound workshop take that?

dancindave 08-08-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

thanks for the photos. i don't use cd players for mixing, just one going in to listen to cds. would also like to put my laptop in, but i could share that one? also, it would be 2 technics (for mixing) and a rega planer (for listening).

It can. You can change the mic channel into a line channel. It's real funky inside since the mic is wired to a ducking switch and an EQ. You would have to change it up so the mic is ignored and the new channel acts like the others.

Stock you have 2 phono, 1 mic, and 1 line with 2 inputs to select from.

NeverObsolete 08-09-2006 01:01 AM

RE: Workshop taking it?

Quote:

Here are some photos of the rear of the Model 421. You can see the connectors and their corresponding thoughputs.

I hope this helps.

mieze245 03-22-2014 02:38 PM

A wonderful item.

I have schematics for it somewhere. I think of it as a poor mans urei.
I reworked mine. It's an absolute beast. It sounds amazing with some restoration.

DSA.audio 03-24-2014 05:00 PM

I'd be interested in the schematics if you locate them...
I found a unit recently for a modest sum, but it's kaput atm...

Would like to restore it, the schematics would help.

mieze245 03-24-2014 07:54 PM

I will see if I have a digital copy overwise I have them in a safety deposit box. (Talk about hard to find.)

DSA.audio 03-24-2014 08:06 PM

Awesome, thanks!