Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rane x Bozure MP24 Rotary Completed... (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=13960)

rs_ 10-19-2013 08:48 PM

Rane x Bozure MP24 Rotary Completed...

...man that was a lot more trouble than I thought it would be.

There was not enough space for the Bozure Isolator PCB inside the unit so I ended up with a separate rackmount box connected by a DB25 (parallel cable) to hook it up.

Internal power supply was removed (this was a very early MP24, before the external brick), and upgraded to a Soundcraft console DC power supply.

Really sounds nice. The LME49720s were causing oscillation so they had to be "downgraded" back to TL072, but still very nice. (I tend to prefer my mixer to be very clean but still "analog" sounding.)

Knobs by SIFAM, VU meter by Hairball.

rs

jnkarrik 10-20-2013 11:06 AM

Looks great. Its nice to see it finally come together.

Estacy 10-21-2013 07:45 AM

While I can't say I like the blue faceplate, that mixer is dope! I bet its a blast to work with

rs_ 10-22-2013 06:10 AM

Haha, the blue was a bit of an impulse decision...I closed my eyes and hit "order" at the end of a late night design session. Front Panel Express now allows any color of the rainbow, and if I were ordering it today I would match the old Pultec blue-green exactly instead (and eliminate all black text).

In use, the mixer is awesome. I like having the Isolator so close to the rest of the knobs. One thing I would have done differently is to NOT use RK-27s on the Iso, instead opting for Bourns Cermet pots. I prefer their feel that is looser but somehow more "certain".

rs

Estacy 10-22-2013 07:07 AM

I agree with you on the pots, I too don't like the RK27 for isolators, theyre too heavy and don't really allow for quick cutting

Disko Ole 10-25-2013 05:57 AM

Looking good! :-)

rs_ 10-31-2013 12:58 PM

Thanks for the nice sentiments folks.

One thing that helps a lot with the RK27 "high torque" issue is bigger knobs. I put some 2" fluted radio knobs on the isolator and that works great to improve the action.

rs

Lime Twig 11-22-2013 11:20 AM

gorgeous looking, rs!

Ryan0751 11-22-2013 04:24 PM

That looks great!

The power button just screams "accidentally turn me off!" though :D

mezz 12-07-2013 01:34 AM

Haha, the power switch was the first thing I saw and said 'that needs to move!'
Right by the headphone jack where you will get a lot of finger traffic, making it an easy target to accidentally turn off.
I'd say lose the power switch alltogether, don't need it!

jnkarrik 12-07-2013 11:13 AM

Actually, I think the power switch will be hidden once phones are plugged in.

der geile ami 12-30-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnkarrik
Actually, I think the power switch will be hidden once phones are plugged in.

packed dance floor
peak of the party
next dj goes to plug in the his/her headphones, gets distracted, and

BANG!

Nice rebuild, first ive ever seen a rotary 24

rs_ 01-15-2014 12:36 PM

I ended up disconnecting the front panel power switch. I modded the unit to use an external console Power Supply, and that has a switch on it.

I replaced the blue FP with a black one and made some other slight ergonomic tweaks. The main thing was to put 2" diameter knobs on the Isolator for quicker operation. The image uploading isn't working for me but the pic is on my Insta: http://www.instagram.com/arloshouston

rs

Laurin 01-15-2014 02:17 PM

The Altec 211 is fantastic!
What driver did you choose?

rs_ 01-16-2014 03:18 PM

Thanks Laurin. My Altec 211 was built around Eminence Kappa 15LFA drivers. Not nearly as sensitive as the vintage Altec 535 drivers, but in this case reliability, availability, and the fact that I could standardize (also using the Eminence Kappa 15LFA driver in some JBL 4560 mid-bass horns) means that they won out.

I'm using restored Altec 511 horns for the midrange, and modern Peavey Versarray Ribbon Tweeters for the treble. The mids and highs are powered by heavily modified tube PA Amplifiers. I'll post pics of some of this other stuff too, once I get a bit farther along on everything.

rs

DSA.audio 01-17-2014 12:05 AM

Nice! Sounds like you've been having fun....

I'll post some pics of my works in progress also... or kinda sometimes in progress.... lol
I hope some of you guys may find the projects to be fun/ interesting too....

I like the Altec "cowbells"....
Even the smaller 800hz (really 1200hz later...) are ok if you understand the design...
Strengths/weaknesses... properly deployed.... yadaa... right?

rs_ 01-18-2014 09:56 AM

The most discouraging thing ever was plugging the Altec 511 horns in for the first time (they were scavenged from the Astrodome, RIP). They sounded like a squawky nightmare. I ended up doing some unconventional crossover settings and that helped -- but the main thing was to only power them with about 18 tube watts each. They really sorted themselves out then.

To me the big difference between vintage analog gear and modern stuff is that modern stuff usually sounds "good" right out of the box. But if you take the time to dial the old hi-quality stuff in, you end up with something really special.

rs

DSA.audio 01-18-2014 10:27 AM

I agree...

and one of the things some folks seem to come to understand, over the long term, is that the hi efficiency stuff doesn't want a ton of voltage, speaking generally....

that, and notch and zobel filters are useful....

John-Martin 01-19-2014 04:31 PM

WOW. That's really awesome what you're doing for a club. I always said what the hood needed was a respectable dance club.

rs_ 01-19-2014 09:26 PM

John, thanks. I came to realize that if the local options weren't cutting it for me, I should just make my own. Are you an East End or Downtown dweller?

rs

John-Martin 01-20-2014 06:39 PM

I was a lifelong East Ender (Lawndale@ Wayside) till moving to NYC last year.

rs_ 01-21-2014 08:44 PM

Lawndale & Wayside -- home of the best Texas Ranger cookies in the world, at Dinner Bell Cafeteria! My wife and I bought a place at Telephone/Lawndale/Broadmoor in 2008 and to say the area has changed since would be an understatement.

Also, I finished my Plate Reverb frame today and added it to Insta. RT60 is around 6 Sec.

rs