Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Disturbing D36 news (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=13732)

NathanShort 06-14-2013 07:52 PM

Disturbing D36 news

SO I heard from a good source that during the rehab and ownership change of the D36 space , the construction crews demolished and threw out Gary's last large boxes....

This makes me incredibly sad...

charles0322 06-15-2013 09:37 AM

not sure that space ever deserved Gary's work..

shihp001 06-16-2013 02:23 AM

Wait, so they chopped into pieces and throw it away ??

pbellsound 06-17-2013 09:03 AM

I would believe that. When it comes to large speaker cabinets that very few people can use and would be a huge project to sell, move, ship, etc, it's simply not worth the effort, especially if they're in the way of a fast tracked construction project.

I had a hell of a time unloading those huge JBL Dance5 cabinets, it certainly wasn't worth the effort for the money they got. I was one step away from putting a saw to them.

shihp001 06-17-2013 09:25 PM

What a shame, seriously!
Who was the old owner to D36? Some rich spoilled kids?

charles0322 06-19-2013 10:36 AM

Those Dance 5 cabs, were not the same thing my friend...

What was lost on them and perhaps on some here, was Gary was one of the best people in the business with the best results for these types of systems and stacks. The fit & finish of his stacks are second to none for custom cabinetry, and this is coming from a cabinet maker ;)

It was his last install, and to me if they werent going into the Smithsonian they should have went somewhere where that lineage and history was cherished.

You can be sure if I was there or had anything to do with it, I would have carried those things away and stored them, maybe to never be able to use them.. but if Sting International has 10 stacks, hmmm.. maybe they would have been put to use by someone else with the same vision.

Im done with clubs. its over for me, I retire.. almost all the owners are shady and short sighted in club land and are in it for the wrong reasons..

Before his passing Gary complained to me D36 owed him money, was very unprofessional to him..

This to me is the final disrespect to an installer and artist that we may never see the likes of again.

RIP. GSA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbellsound
I would believe that. When it comes to large speaker cabinets that very few people can use and would be a huge project to sell, move, ship, etc, it's simply not worth the effort, especially if they're in the way of a fast tracked construction project.

I had a hell of a time unloading those huge JBL Dance5 cabinets, it certainly wasn't worth the effort for the money they got. I was one step away from putting a saw to them.

pbellsound 06-19-2013 10:50 AM

I agree, the GSA cabinets were certainly special. I mentioned the JBL's I sold as an example of how the general public and those not in the know view big cabinets such as these.

SBS Designs 06-19-2013 06:12 PM

why do u

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles0322
Those Dance 5 cabs, were not the same thing my friend...

What was lost on them and perhaps on some here, was Gary was one of the best people in the business with the best results for these types of systems and stacks. The fit & finish of his stacks are second to none for custom cabinetry, and this is coming from a cabinet maker ;)

It was his last install, and to me if they werent going into the Smithsonian they should have went somewhere where that lineage and history was cherished.

You can be sure if I was there or had anything to do with it, I would have carried those things away and stored them, maybe to never be able to use them.. but if Sting International has 10 stacks, hmmm.. maybe they would have been put to use by someone else with the same vision.

Im done with clubs. its over for me, I retire.. almost all the owners are shady and short sighted in club land and are in it for the wrong reasons..

Before his passing Gary complained to me D36 owed him money, was very unprofessional to him..

This to me is the final disrespect to an installer and artist that we may never see the likes of again.

RIP. GSA.

i pulled out that never wld have been a club if it wasent for me choosing that space, my what wld have been partner never liked the space,i seen the writing on the wall wayyyyy before it opened myslef and the owner looked 3 yrs for a space, my pull out was about a year b4 it opened, i wld never have pulled out of a space in nyc but is was a bad deal. he jumped on it i knew he wld never get paid and ended up doing 2 better spaces then that room, system & liberty theatre from 1904, a shame that happened to him, but i knew how that wld go down with that.

when zanz got demolished most of the real rla stacks got chain sawed.

charles0322 06-20-2013 08:42 AM

Same thing happened to your boxes at Stereo my friend.. I told the owner he was an idiot and he agreed LOL

I know about you pulling out of D36.. you told me about the club before it was discussed publicly and when you pulled out you told me why.

I think Gary tried to make things work for him and his family.

The job he did there was the best I have heard in NYC. My experience is limited in New York with systems do to my age and location in Montreal, it didn't always sound at it's best but with the proper DJ it was thunderous and clear.

The rent was dirt cheap, I think it was in the neighbourhood of 25 or 30k per month..

I get that you saw writing on the wall.. but I dont follow your run on sentence post, are you saying you did two better rooms and systems? I am confused because this is not the place to big yourself up..

It's funny but common on WAVE that in a post where we are commending GSA and remembering him, while at the same time lamenting at the fact that his beautiful work was destroyed.. we have a fellow designer and installer pop up to tell us how he knows all, was there before and has done way better....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBS Designs
i pulled out that never wld have been a club if it wasent for me choosing that space, my what wld have been partner never liked the space,i seen the writing on the wall wayyyyy before it opened myslef and the owner looked 3 yrs for a space, my pull out was about a year b4 it opened, i wld never have pulled out of a space in nyc but is was a bad deal. he jumped on it i knew he wld never get paid and ended up doing 2 better spaces then that room, system & liberty theatre from 1904, a shame that happened to him, but i knew how that wld go down with that.

when zanz got demolished most of the real rla stacks got chain sawed.

SBS Designs 06-20-2013 09:11 AM

meaning a bad situation

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles0322
Same thing happened to your boxes at Stereo my friend.. I told the owner he was an idiot and he agreed LOL

I know about you pulling out of D36.. you told me about the club before it was discussed publicly and when you pulled out you told me why.

I think Gary tried to make things work for him and his family.

The job he did there was the best I have heard in NYC. My experience is limited in New York with systems do to my age and location in Montreal, it didn't always sound at it's best but with the proper DJ it was thunderous and clear.

The rent was dirt cheap, I think it was in the neighbourhood of 25 or 30k per month..

I get that you saw writing on the wall.. but I dont follow your run on sentence post, are you saying you did two better rooms and systems? I am confused because this is not the place to big yourself up..

It's funny but common on WAVE that in a post where we are commending GSA and remembering him, while at the same time lamenting at the fact that his beautiful work was destroyed.. we have a fellow designer and installer pop up to tell us how he knows all, was there before and has done way better....

was in my hands i had to pass on and was blessed with 2 better rooms and club owners, sometimes u have a bad situation and u are blessed with better opp

DSA.audio 06-20-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBS Designs
was in my hands i had to pass on and was blessed with 2 better rooms and club owners, sometimes u have a bad situation and u are blessed with better opp

I can understand that sentiment...
in fact I have experienced the same a few times...

at the same time, I agree with Charles that a more appropriate place of sharing
could have been utilized...

in any event, I'm always glad to have talked with and learned from ALL of the folks with something to share....

RIP Gary and Scotty.... and many others...
glad to hear you are doing well Craig...

take care all...

SBS Designs 06-20-2013 05:43 PM

thx i

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSA.audio
I can understand that sentiment...
in fact I have experienced the same a few times...

at the same time, I agree with Charles that a more appropriate place of sharing
could have been utilized...

in any event, I'm always glad to have talked with and learned from ALL of the folks with something to share....

RIP Gary and Scotty.... and many others...
glad to hear you are doing well Craig...

take care all...

Brang it up cause charles mentioned what happened to gary and what wld have happened to me

DSA.audio 06-20-2013 05:58 PM

I hear you, completely relevant

charles0322 06-21-2013 09:03 AM

Some people know how to promote their offerings and products properly

Some people like to share everything they know about audio

And some people....

George Stavropo 07-02-2013 01:50 AM

I don't think there was a sound vendor in NEw York state that didn't geta look into that project. Vic Calderone got us in there to spec a system when he was thinking of getting involved but he and us quickly realised it wasn't the right project for us.
I don't think there was anything malicious in the breaking down of those boxes. I know the guys who are doing the club in there and they're not like that at all. In NYC, it's a matter of where to store such huge boxes. I know someone who has all the old GSA speaker out of Love and has been trying to sell them for years. Very few people want such large cabinets these days and custom solutions are rarely adaptable to other spaces.
George

Ryan0751 07-02-2013 01:42 PM

Why didn't they just "re-use" the fantastic system that was already in there?

Was it "too big" or something?

NathanShort 07-02-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Stavropo
I don't think there was a sound vendor in NEw York state that didn't geta look into that project. Vic Calderone got us in there to spec a system when he was thinking of getting involved but he and us quickly realised it wasn't the right project for us.
I don't think there was anything malicious in the breaking down of those boxes. I know the guys who are doing the club in there and they're not like that at all. In NYC, it's a matter of where to store such huge boxes. I know someone who has all the old GSA speaker out of Love and has been trying to sell them for years. Very few people want such large cabinets these days and custom solutions are rarely adaptable to other spaces.
George

Not only malicious, but horribly stupid. The man is dead, you could have held a charity auction to benefit his family. You could have made one announcement on waves or his FB page. Those were his last work, there is NO excuse for their destruction. There were hundreds of people who would have taken those. The Dumpster did not deserve them.

Laurin 07-02-2013 04:18 PM

^This!

I would have paid for the shipping across the ocean just to save this piece of history. :(

charles0322 07-02-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Stavropo
Very few people want such large cabinets these days and custom solutions are rarely adaptable to other spaces.
George

Pioneer wanted them.. and now everyone will. GS-Wave series, love it love it :p

btw... now that everyone saw the writing on the wall wayyyy before the space opened and avoided involvement.. maybe GSA made it work for his family and in order to showcase his system in a decent club in the garment district, one of the best spots/markets to showcase sound, NYC.

Im so happy today, I wonder if those club owners will glue those boxes back together now theyre Pioneer LOL