Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   DJR-400 aux sends... (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=13397)

T. Tauri 12-28-2012 08:27 PM

DJR-400 aux sends...

Are they pre- or post-fader?

Thanks,
T. Tauri

Richi 12-29-2012 07:11 PM

Post,

Why do you ask?

R_Dub 12-30-2012 11:06 AM

could the aux send be used to record?
if i was to use an rca splitter. one end going to recording devise,
other end gong back to return (to complete the loop)

T. Tauri 12-31-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richi
Post,

Why do you ask?

Thinking about a new mixer, and how the sends function is important. Wanted to make sure the DJR's work like I assumed (they do).

Peece,
T. Tauri

Richi 01-01-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R_Dub
could the aux send be used to record?
if i was to use an rca splitter. one end going to recording devise,
other end gong back to return (to complete the loop)

Do you have sends per channel?

R_Dub 01-01-2013 09:55 AM

no sends per channel.

Richi 01-02-2013 06:58 AM

You could use that method, or split the master which would be my preference.

Toni Cogin 01-03-2013 04:46 AM

Or use the booth output... Either solely for recording (if you aren't using two separat systems) or split.

R_Dub 01-03-2013 12:35 PM

using the booth to control the booth speakers - not an option for splitting, i constantly turn up and down the booth. I use the master RCAs now but the problem is that the master gradually gets turned up as the night progresses (as the crowd gets bigger). so I'd like something PRE master. Richi - why do you prefer master? better sound quality? if not then it seems the effect loop out would be fine.

Richi 01-03-2013 06:39 PM

I use the masters balanced outputs to run to the mains this gives 6dB greater signal and the ability to drive long cable lengths. The un-balanced outputs can then be used for recording, i will usually have another attenuator post the outputs so i can control level independently to the recording device.

Toni Cogin 01-04-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R_Dub
using the booth to control the booth speakers - not an option for splitting, i constantly turn up and down the booth. I use the master RCAs now but the problem is that the master gradually gets turned up as the night progresses (as the crowd gets bigger). so I'd like something PRE master. Richi - why do you prefer master? better sound quality? if not then it seems the effect loop out would be fine.

I figured the master volume would change over time during the night, that's why I suggested the booth output. If you're changing the booth volume a lot this won't work either, of course.

As you think of using the efx loop for recording I figure you aren't using it for its original purpose. Have you tried contacting Jerome if the efx loop could be replaced with a rec out?

bossa nolyx 01-04-2013 05:28 AM

2x

+

1x

would work.

T. Tauri 01-04-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossa nolyx
2x [cable splitters]

+

1x [Nanopatch]

would work.

...Though still wouldn't deal with R_Dub's preference for avoiding the volume changes from the booth and master outs.

That said, I've recorded mixes after the master volume, and one can always import the file to a DAW to correct for that after the fact too.

Peece,
T. Tauri

bossa nolyx 01-04-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T. Tauri
...Though still wouldn't deal with R_Dub's preference for avoiding the volume changes from the booth and master outs.

Why not?

Connect an y-cable to the booth output. One end goes directly into your recording device, the other is connected via nano patch to your monitors. Then you turn the booth output to full gain (or what ever your recording device needs) and then you use only(!) the nano patch to control your monitor volume. Master volume is unaffected, of course.

Will work, I did so very often. E.g. when I need to insert an isolator in a club with a mixer without insert loop connectors. Can do the same thing with balanced master output. What ever you want. The nano patch can handle balanced and unbalanced signals.

T. Tauri 01-04-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Why not?

You're right. My bad.

I was thinking of the nanopatch as an attenuator for the rec signal instead of the monitor...

Peece,
T. Tauri

R_Dub 01-09-2013 11:31 PM

good idea on the nano patch. 59.00 on ebay.
before going that route i think i'll try splitting the
loop out method. (seeing how i already have 2 to 1 RCAs it's free :))
i dont use an EFX unit anyway so master loop isn't being used.

Ross H 02-14-2013 04:25 PM

So to confirm, the nano patch dial would be used to control the booth's monitor and the booth dial on the mixer will be used to control the recording levels?

Does it affect the recording quality of the audio at all?

Thanks again for this tip...appreciated.

Ross H 02-14-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richi
Do you have sends per channel?

Hi Richi,

I have sends per channel. Is there something this would help when recording?

bossa nolyx 02-15-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross H
So to confirm, the nano patch dial would be used to control the booth's monitor and the booth dial on the mixer will be used to control the recording levels?

Does it affect the recording quality of the audio at all?

Thanks again for this tip...appreciated.

Yes, that's it.

The recording quality is not affected. You may only slightly increase the noise level on your booth monitor because of the lower output signal. This is what every volume control does.

Don't forget to use the correct ports. The image of the RCA cord is only intended as an example of a Y-cable.

Ross H 02-16-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's it.

The recording quality is not affected. You may only slightly increase the noise level on your booth monitor because of the lower output signal. This is what every volume control does.

Don't forget to use the correct ports. The image of the RCA cord is only intended as an example of a Y-cable.

Many thanks for the advice

Ross H 06-05-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's it.

Hi can you advise what cables you use to make this work?

I have just bought the nano patch and I am currently struggling to work out how to connect the monitor (i have a krk rockit) to the nano patch as both the rockit and nano patch need a male connection to connect. I'm guessing a male to male xlr cable would work or jack to jack cable. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Richi 06-05-2013 08:38 PM

Ross,

DJR400 XLR Booth Output -----> XLR Nano Patch Input
Nano Out, TRS Jacks, ------> XLR Rockit

Take your Nano to Maplins, and grab yourself some of the below and an assortment of different adaptors(Gig savers for the DJ), the staff there are usually knowelable and will help you out.

The above cable would work from the Nano Output, 2 x of these from the Nano to your rockit
http://www.maplin.co.uk/van-damme-black-microphone-cable-nc3mx-np3x-xlr-jack-511395

If you have XLR Cables already and you need adapters these kind should work
http://www.maplin.co.uk/1-4-stereo-plug-to-xlr-plug-43165

Ross H 06-06-2013 06:53 AM

Thanks Richi,

that is exactly what I just bought. i already bought the xlr to jack cable but needed the xlr (with pins) to 1/4" jack adaptors this morning.

Cheers again

:)

bossa nolyx 06-06-2013 07:28 AM

If you want to use a balanced signal transmission, then you should never take a TS plug

but a TRS plug

With a TS plug you connect the phase-shifted signal to ground and cause a short circuit. This can (but not has to) damage the output of your device, depending on its circuit. If you don't definitly know how the output is designed, ALLWAYS take a connector with 3 pins for balanced outputs!

If the nano patch input is connected unbalanced output of another device, then it does not matter and you can also take a TS plug.

Richi 06-06-2013 08:27 AM

Bosa is correct, for balanced you need TRS, i did put TRS into my response though showed images for the TS connectors. I have amended my post to show the TRS Images as well.

Unbalancing the connectors usually opens up the system for greater noise and potential ground issues.

Good Resource on Balanced connections from Rane.
http://www.rane.com/note110.html