Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Sound Installers and Manufacturers (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Social Networks as Marketing Tools.. Your Thoughts (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=10978)

DJ Just J 09-09-2010 04:03 PM

Social Networks as Marketing Tools.. Your Thoughts

Wave Music,

Not many of the wavemusic community know me, but I do participate on this forum. I am a Pro Audio Rep in NY and I contribute comments when people post about products I sell or personally own. In my opinion this is the best forum on the internet and its busting with great people and great info. I've even made a few friends....

So I have a question directed to the "industry guys" here on Wavemusic, whether you are a bedroom DJ or Club Installer or whatever....

Do you feel that Social Networking Sites are an unprofessional way to market pro audio sales, installation services, new products, or industry trends?

Here is my answer and I look forward to reading yours.....

I think that is what its meant for. It's a fast effective way to hit the masses with pics and news. The best part about it is anyone that your connected to made the choice to be connected to you and have the ability to delete your connection at anytime. My profile is filled with local DJ's, Sound Installers, and just plain pro audio junkies, not skanks and 16 years old high school girls.

The reason I bring this up is due to an outraged international affiliate of a american sound contractor that was upset that I pictured tagged a that sound contractor in pic of a new speaker due out before next month. He blasted me saying social networks are no place for this type of buiness. I could go on and on about his rant but it's not worth it and it actually upset me enough to post this....

So what do you guys think?

Mistick Krewe 09-09-2010 04:06 PM

seems to me that many local promoters/DJs/etc are taking full advantage of social networking sites...

John-Martin 09-10-2010 12:34 PM

Social networks are a good way to show off your products and promote your events. A couple of quick thoughts: On the promotions side my theory is that only 50 percent of the people who say they will attend will actually do so, though you'll usually end up having more than say they will attend due to people inviting their friends and people at other events wanting to skip around.

On the Equipment side it's good for business. Not many people just show up to the store and pick up a mixer there's a lot of research that goes into it and if you keep showing your upcoming products as they develop people keep you in mind when they are ready to purchase. Whether it's a quality product or not people usually look a the newest, shiniest items first.

On the install side, well who doesn't like pics of installs?